Sign in to follow this  
Captain Lackwit

Can we level about canon for a second?

Star Wars video games are probably more popular than Star Wars print media on a title-by-title basis, and may be more sacred to fans as a result. But with branching story lines and the interactive nature of video games, some of what happens in them literally cannot be 100% canon -- but places, characters and ships definitely can.

Adventures written for the Star Wars RPGs have the same problem. They're printed under the Star Wars banner, but the stories are extremely flexible and offer lots of contingencies, and cannot be canon.

I don't expect Disney to cut stuff just because they can. I expect them to take a machete to the jungle of EU stuff that stands in the way of making money, and hopefully only if those things stand in the way of telling a great story.

There's a lot of good EU. Unfortunately, there's also a lot of bad EU. Some stuff should be pretty obvious that it remain official (Thrawn Trilogy). Some stuff should get kicked to the curb (Black Fleet Crisis... although, it did give us the K-Wing, so it's not ALL bad). Finding the balance will be the fun part, for certain values of "fun."

If they knew where those lines were, then it would be easy enough to make new movies, etc. that are faithful to the source. I tend to look at it in two ways. First, it's really not all that hard to stay faithful, and nothing but good comes from it, while you anger a lot of people for no reason when you decide to ignore it.

Second, it's almost irrelevant anyway. Fans are just going to roll their eyes at the stupid stuff and do whatever they want. I don't hear it so much in SW-land, but in Trek-land it's common for people to say "Well in *my* version of Trek..."

There's a lot of good EU. Unfortunately, there's also a lot of bad EU. Some stuff should be pretty obvious that it remain official (Thrawn Trilogy). 

The Thrawn trilogy is pretty good, but I expect that it's going to get the axe, or at least be ignored, for the purposes of the new movies. I'm not even sure that it's consistent with the prequel movie canon, which came along later. But I think a lot of fans would be excited to see something from the Heir to the Empire trilogy make its way into the new films, me included. Just dropping a mention of Thrawn would be cool. I kind of doubt that's in the cards, though. The guy writing the new Star Wars movie(s) doesn't know the EU.

The thing to note is Disney's ability to tell stories is not in any way affected by the existance of a ship. Yes they might want to retell it's creation, mess around with it role, or have a new character fly it. 

But why would they remove a ship people like.

Edited by Rodent Mastermind

I see a lot of people talking about "official" this and "canon" that and EU and all this jazz… I know I've said this before but I'll say it again here. All Star Wars things are considered canon if they're published at all. That silly man with his 'seal of approval' has made sure of that. So anyone saying that something "isn't Star Wars" is just wrong. It's all Star Wars. It just might not be THEIR Star Wars.

So they can come out with whatever ship they want. They can strap an Ewok hood ornament onto a TIE Interceptor that is itself strapped onto a Lambda shuttle for all I care. The model may look retarded (or… maybe not?) but if I don't like it either for it's mechanic or some other reason then I can vote with my wallet., ther people will do the same, and we all know Sablegryphon will make it work somehow.

When can I expect release of the Spaceballs Expansion then?  ;)

Seriously though, your right. If you like it buy it. If you don't like it don't buy it. If you like the model but not the rules, either don't get it or buy one to sit on your shelf and look pretty. It's YOUR hobby, YOUR money and YOU can do whatever YOU want. If your opponent doesn't like it, try to be a sport and don't use it. Respecting the fact that he is expressing his own free will just as you are.

"Little people....why can't we all just...get along?" 

This is not the first and only x-wing game, and I think the other games are a good hint of what to expect.

Just as in x-wing vs ti fighter, we will probably see a few EU ships, but mostly OT.

Look, you're all pretty cool dudes, but I want to get this off my chest. The canon fighting kinda' bugs me, especially considering recent announcements.

Not all of us love EU, the prequels, some don't even like the OT believe it or not.

That's fine though, we all still love star wars right? Can we not just like, agree on that? Likewise, can we agree that, hey, maybe there's something to be said for EU ships and designs and so on? That maybe they aren't wharghlbargl? The thing about the expanded universe is, it's where a bunch of people who were star wars fans got the chance to write stuff about it officially and toss their ideas out there.

Like the HWK, YT-2400, XG-1 Star Wing, TIE Avenger, E-wing... There's a lot of well known, really cool ones out there that look like they belong in the OT. Instead of turning our nose up at things of then dubious canon or even just EU, maybe we can just...

Remember that it's still Star Wars, and that maybe there's something to it all?

One thing to take into acount now is that SW and now the Alien Predator Promethes AvP universe have close if not the most clean canon their is out of old but still running entertainment.  I am very happy with what GL did two years before he quote by alowing one of his actors to confirm every thing over all is in the Saga and then to have Chee and Disner confirm that and also make everything equal is just great.  Ironic that about the same time the other non SW thing I mentioned did the same thing with its group of writers.

You see their is this treky that had made a website all about canon for both SW and ST.  The SW part is now invalid but what he pointed out for ST is not good.  What most people don't know unless you go into as much detail with the legal behind the scenes stuff as this guy did is that the Orignal series and technically all but the first movie with the orignal cast are noncanon to Star Trek, excluding the next gen movies.

I think most ST fans like Next Gen more anyway but if you are more into all the orignal stuff esp the movies 1-6 you might feel as I do which is WFH.  So I think we should be happy are canon is not as bad as STs.  At best we know that Kirk had some missions and he had a A version of his ship.   This would be one of the few times I would pick and choose what is canon, for me the orignal show is canon, all the movies are canon, Mr. Scotts guide to the Enterprise orignal and A are canon and Star Fleet Command is canon, I play as Kirk in that with the Enterprise A.  Its the only thing that adds great amounts of lore for the Gorn. 

The Gorn and the Trandoshans are my top tier fav aliens in any series.  Oh and the Shatner novels I count those as canon.

In the end unless we are having a serious debate about something I think its ok to pick and choose what is and isn't canon.  And like I said we should be happy it isn't a mess like Star Trek unless you like next gen then it wont look like theirs a mess at all.

My Trek side only really likes Wrath of Khan from the original movies. Never got into the series but grew up with Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager. Of the movies, I like First Contact and Nemesis. But the new movies are the best Star Trek I've seen, though it's irritating that they got into this whole changing the timeline stuff  :rolleyes: Really didn't like the Enterprise series because it started to feel more like a bad version of Doctor Who. Not a DocWho fan, but yeesh....save the time travelling to the Timelord.

I had always heard Star Wars is nine Episodes. Originals were best, just like Christopher Reeve will always be Superman, but I love all six episodes with no one episode being a favourite. Battle for Hoth being my favourite part of all the movies. For me Star Wars is and always will be six movies, with three more to come.

That said, this is a just game and I just want to battle in space. I'm not here to collect and play "Star Wars", I'm here to collect and play "X-Wing miniature game". An example of what I mean is that I've always enjoyed the Batman movies, but Christian Bale is the best Batman and now I don't like the ones I grew up with. Now the three Batman movies are "Batman" but Knight Models are doing an Arkham miniature game. Though I prefer some of the "movie" miniatures, I much prefer "Arkham's" Batman, Bane and Joker. So those are the ones I'll get.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....this time with style....

That's funny. Nemesis is one of two movies in my life that I've gotten up and walked out of, it was so bad. And JJ Trek 1? Wow. Great casting, absolutely horrible screen play. The plot makes no sense whatsoever. After that, and what I heard about JJ Trek 2, I skipped it. Trek is dead to me.  

How many SW episodes there's supposed to be depends on what year GL was interviewed. He flip-flops more than a politician during election season.

Honestly, I just want cool minis. I really don't get them for the game.

That's funny. Nemesis is one of two movies in my life that I've gotten up and walked out of, it was so bad. And JJ Trek 1? Wow. Great casting, absolutely horrible screen play. The plot makes no sense whatsoever. After that, and what I heard about JJ Trek 2, I skipped it. Trek is dead to me.  

How many SW episodes there's supposed to be depends on what year GL was interviewed. He flip-flops more than a politician during election season.

Honestly, I just want cool minis. I really don't get them for the game.

You see, we're all different but at least we can agree on that one fundamental gamer truth....

Cool Miniatures

If you make them cool we'll buy them.

New player here and long time OT fan here. I've read most of the early EU books, played X-Wing, Tie Fighter and Dark Forces video games and played the original CCG. Loved them all and loved how they expanded my favorite sci fi universe. This debate sort of reminds me about the debate between original Battletech and Wizkids MechWarrior mini game. What I said there many years ago was either game allows me to spend time in 1 of my favorite sci fi universes.

I wasn't a big fan of Eps I - III but when time came to expose my daughter to Star Wars movies I thought that starting with Episode IV was best (as I had done in '77). Looking back maybe I should have started with Episode I because it is a little less intense with more comedy.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I think for the longevity of this game the EU has to come into play. I look forward to seeing the The Wild Karde, Wraith Squadron X Wing's, Tie Defender's, a Defense Platform or the IG-2000.

By the way, just read 'Allegiance' from the EU and the rogue stormtroopers ship would be great!

How you do that?

Easy...just be sure to get the link with the "Watch" tag in it.

:)

http://<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yoF0a32DhLw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yoF0a32DhLw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's the one to use if you are posting the video to a site that you control. See the size numbers, you can change the video player by changing these numbers. You want to watch the video, then you get that code so that you can link to watch the video.

:lol:

How you do that?

Easy...just be sure to get the link with the "Watch" tag in it.

:)

http://<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yoF0a32DhLw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yoF0a32DhLw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's the one to use if you are posting the video to a site that you control. See the size numbers, you can change the video player by changing these numbers. You want to watch the video, then you get that code so that you can link to watch the video.

:lol:

Thats very much what Black Knights squadrons point of veiw was when they where around for SW TIE Fighter.  It wasnt that it was a SW game that intrested BKS it was that it was the best flight sim at the time.