Sign in to follow this  
markcsoul

Your best squad's kryptonite?

So no matter how good you make your best squad, it's gonna lose at some point.  But my question is, what "type" of squad have you faced that's your kryptonite?  Meaning denies your strengths and/or exploits your weaknesses?

I found mine tonight.  A squad with multiple Assault missiles.  My squad's abilities allow me to shoot most if not all my ships first, but they have to stay close to do it.  I can risk trying to take out an enemy ship before firing, but if I fail I'm gonna get mega damage.

So what's your best squads kryptonite?

I'm pretty new to the game with only 4 real games under my belt. My wife bought me the falcon for Christmas plus a few random guys. So far my lists have been Han + 2 other ships. So far I'm 3-1 with that setup. Last night I went 2-0 with Han + MF B wing with HLC and Roark + blaster turret. Went against a 5tie plus shuttle build and a b wing and double HWK Build. I managed to win both games with only 1-2 hull left on the falcon.

My only other two games were against swarms, they are a really difficult run for me. With only 3 ships, I practically rely on good dice rolls and the 360• arc.

I'm pretty new to the game with only 4 real games under my belt. My wife bought me the falcon for Christmas plus a few random guys. So far my lists have been Han + 2 other ships. So far I'm 3-1 with that setup. Last night I went 2-0 with Han + MF B wing with HLC and Roark + blaster turret. Went against a 5tie plus shuttle build and a b wing and double HWK Build. I managed to win both games with only 1-2 hull left on the falcon.

My only other two games were against swarms, they are a really difficult run for me. With only 3 ships, I practically rely on good dice rolls and the 360• arc.

Give Han a Gunner. It helps sooooo much.

I'm my own Kryptonite. I've been playing miniature war games for a while now and I'd like to think I'm a decent player. But I don't know why I try to perform the maneuvers that I do. It seems that my ships are magnets for asteroids and I can't stop colliding with my opponent.

I find that it helps to place the template I'm thinking about using outside the play area, but oriented in the direction I want my ship to go. You'll be telegraphing your moves to your opponent (if he's perceptive), but for casual play this shouldn't be too big a deal.

Also, I've learned to be more conservative with my maneuvers. If space looks tight and I think I can cut it, I usually can't.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

I find that every once in a while I will find a list that seems broken good. My first experience was HSF. But those lists always seemed to be the ones that had a Kryptonite.

Han Shoots First - lots of TIEs

TIE Swarm - assault missiles

Suicide Shuttle - YT-1300's of B-wings

My current Uber List:

Captain Jonus + 3 TIE Bombers

I haven't found a name for this list on the forums yet.

and I haven't found my Kryptonite for this list yet.

But it is new, I am sure both will happen.

if I were to guess I think my kryptonite might be assault missiles, but my 6 wounds each ship might protect me from it. We will have to see.

But it is only my Uber Lists that ever have a kryptonite. My more balanced lists tend to do much better all around. That is unless I face an Uber List of some sort and I didn't bring that lists kryptonite.

I think it is in the nature of most miniature games that if you build a list around a single deadly concept you will expose yourself to some sort of weakness. Then the only question becomes, can your opponent take advantage of that weakness.

For fun games I like to try both kinds of lists Uber Lists and balanced lists. My favorite thing to do is try to find new Uber lists that I have never tried before, even better if I have never heard of them before. Many of these lists turn out to just suck, but I like trying new things.

If I were to play in a tournament situation I would be more likely to try to play a balanced list, but bring as many different types of kryptonite with me as I can.