Sign in to follow this  
Desslok

The Impending Death of the Expanded Universe! (thread 2.0 because I'm a dork)

(Okay, I had two tabs open and posted this over in the wrong stupid forum. Lets try this again!)

And the shoe drops:

http://io9.com/disney-appoints-a-group-to-determine-a-new-official-st-1497893812

I knew this was a-comin' for a while now, and frankly with the (occasionally) convoluted mess that the novels and comics have turned into, it's desperately needed. But I wonder what bearing this has on the upcoming FFG material. Is this a reboot? Does this mean they get to go outside the box and invent all sorts of new things without worrying that it's going to contradict one line mentioned 25 years ago in a one-shot comic?

Some of the most creative RPG stuff I've seen was the early years of the WEG line, where the license was pretty much dead and they were unencumbered by all this canon nonsense. So hopefully this means a return to the "Just make some stuff up" days instead of always having to use Tatooine, Hoth and Cloud City.

I'm actually pretty excited about this.

With a couple exceptions....

I did not enjoy Dark Empire....  Who the hell could enjoy that travesty?  It went against everything we know about Star Wars.  >.>

However, I WOULD like to see Han and Leia's kids stick around, if only

because of Darth Caedus.  I appreciate the dark irony that is the Sith rising out of the family that put an end to their existence only shortly after doing so.

Truth be told, I was kind of expecting Disney to do THAT story.

Also, the thread on that site had a discussion about the 'unbutchered version' of a new BluRay release.

Now, I KNOW we don't need this discussion here, but would anyone else forgive Disney their travesties if they would grant us this one wish?

Also, the thread on that site had a discussion about the 'unbutchered version' of a new BluRay release.

Now, I KNOW we don't need this discussion here, but would anyone else forgive Disney their travesties if they would grant us this one wish?

I have yet to grab a BluRay release of Star Wars simply because I'm kind of lazy, haha. But I would definitely pick up a version that's like the DVDs I have. The DVDs include the original theatrical cut and the most current, pre-BluRay version. Having both in one package is kind of nice.

I did not enjoy Dark Empire....  Who the hell could enjoy that travesty?  It went against everything we know about Star Wars.  >.>

If George Lucas said that it was actually what he'd have done for a sequel to Episode VI...

Considering that more recent products have been allowed "to contradict one line mentioned 25 years ago in a one-shot comic", I don't believe that this move will be a major disruption to FFG's plans.  ;) As far as FFG's official products, I believe that it's FaD that would be most subject to potentially "checking with Disney", since EotE is already out there while AoR is probably too close to release to have not been cleared with Disney... personally I wouldn't be surprised if FFG was aware of this for a while now -- even if it was in progress for a while now -- but kept quiet on account of a NDA or professional courtesy.

If they take votes, I want Kyle Katarn and the dark forces/ Jedi knight games kept.

Can't say I'm surprised or particularly vexed by this. Think of the stuff deemed not canon, to just be a potential future.

Always in motion, the future is.

This actually makes some degree of sense to me if only because so much of the EU is flat-out contradictory (not to mention having hilariously horrific implications for the "wider" Star Wars universe), so winnowing down the canon makes sense.

If George Lucas said that it was actually what he'd have done for a sequel to Episode VI...

Considering that more recent products have been allowed "to contradict one line mentioned 25 years ago in a one-shot comic", I don't believe that this move will be a major disruption to FFG's plans.  ;) As far as FFG's official products, I believe that it's FaD that would be most subject to potentially "checking with Disney", since EotE is already out there while AoR is probably too close to release to have not been cleared with Disney... personally I wouldn't be surprised if FFG was aware of this for a while now -- even if it was in progress for a while now -- but kept quiet on account of a NDA or professional courtesy.

If Lucas had announced that as the Sequel Trilogy, I would not have watched.

I read the book.  That's enough torture for me.

Well, having different levels of canon was always useful for that. The movies were always more relevant than a one-off comic from the 80s.

I'd say that the problem was more Lucasfilm Licensing even deigning to entertain the concept of stuff being part of any contiguous continuity instead of simply treating most of the EU as possible futures, albeit some of which would be contiguous and some of which would be derived from earlier possible futures.

That, and finding so much fanfic which was better written than so much of the EU too...

I know it's unlikely to happen, but I kind of hope this will result in some more novels and other EU focused more on non-Jedi/non-Force using characters. Don't get me wrong, the Force is a huge part of Star Wars (and it's what makes it, well, Star Wars), but every story does not have to be about a force user, nor does it need to include force users. A good example is the novel Allegience. I absolutely loved the rogue stormtrooper unit, but the Mara Jade "sub-plot" turned the book into "The Mara Jade Show" by the end and it completely ruined it for me.

I'd say that the problem was more Lucasfilm Licensing even deigning to entertain the concept of stuff being part of any contiguous continuity instead of simply treating most of the EU as possible futures, albeit some of which would be contiguous and some of which would be derived from earlier possible futures.

I like the way that the BBC handles what is and is not canon in Doctor Who - they've never said, there is no canon. The only mandate from the studio is that the television program can not be built on a comic/novel/audio play that you have to consume to understand what is going on.The television program has to be self contained - but beyond that, it's the wild west and anything goes.

Mind you, consistancy is not the show's strong point. Atlantis was sunk at least three times and there at least couple of origins for the Daleks. Of course Doctor Who has a leg up on Star Wars in that a hand wave of Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey makes the continuity problem go away.

The original trilogy was brilliant. The prequel trilogy showed why "The Childhood and Whiny Pubescence of Darth Vader, Plus Force Wuxia" was a terrible plot premise that never should have been green-lit.

You should also watch "What if Star Wars Episode 2 Were Good".

I have yet to grab a BluRay release of Star Wars simply because I'm kind of lazy, haha. But I would definitely pick up a version that's like the DVDs I have. The DVDs include the original theatrical cut and the most current, pre-BluRay version. Having both in one package is kind of nice.

A bit OT, but still helpful.

The Blu-Ray edition does not contain the original theatrical releases. For that you will have to get the dvd box that was released shortly before.

A bit OT

Rule 25.

If they take votes, I want Kyle Katarn and the dark forces/ Jedi knight games kept.

Can't say I'm surprised or particularly vexed by this. Think of the stuff deemed not canon, to just be a potential future.

Always in motion, the future is.

This actually makes some degree of sense to me if only because so much of the EU is flat-out contradictory (not to mention having hilariously horrific implications for the "wider" Star Wars universe), so winnowing down the canon makes sense.

I keep seeing people claim the EU is contradictory on various message boards without providing examples. The one case I know of was a book claiming the New Republic only captured one SSD and scrapped her rather then use her.

I know it's unlikely to happen, but I kind of hope this will result in some more novels and other EU focused more on non-Jedi/non-Force using characters. Don't get me wrong, the Force is a huge part of Star Wars (and it's what makes it, well, Star Wars), but every story does not have to be about a force user, nor does it need to include force users. A good example is the novel Allegience. I absolutely loved the rogue stormtrooper unit, but the Mara Jade "sub-plot" turned the book into "The Mara Jade Show" by the end and it completely ruined it for me.

I agree wholeheartedly. Making the Jedi or Sith into the center of everything dragged things down a lot.

The original trilogy was brilliant. The prequel trilogy showed why "The Childhood and Whiny Pubescence of Darth Vader, Plus Force Wuxia" was a terrible plot premise that never should have been green-lit.

Would be more hilarious if it turned out that the latter was always closer to George Lucas' original vision (irrespective of what we know of the earlier drafts) and only editing saved us from getting that as the get-go.

MandalorynOranj, I also enjoyed the new Jedi order. I didn't mind the idea of the yuhzon vong. Sadly, they were a fix for how over the top Jedi had become and how formulaic the stories had gotten.

The problem with the vong was they were too much of everything. Extra galactic, force immune, bio-tech using s&m worshipers. Now the last part was, from what I heard, just supposed to be the one vong domain that worshiped pain, but it got supplanted on the whole race.

The vong were extra galactic because so much, sometimes conflicting, material made it easier to put them from there. The bio tech I thought was interesting and to show how alien they were. The force null quality was a fix for how powerful Jedi were.

While I enjoyed many EU novels, they never felt that the main characters were ever in any real danger.

There was some complete shlock in the new Jedi order, but the loss Han felt for losing his heterosexual life mate chewbacca and then his son were good plot points I felt.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really liked NJO and the Yuuzhan Vong. I think what they did to the galaxy was exactly the kind of shake-up needed to give us even more awesome stuff like Legacy of the Force and the Legacy comics.

You are not alone. I liked YV and LotF too. The problem with YV was that the series was much too long.