Sign in to follow this  
Liberiton

Edge of Empire system in other settings

In addition, we're treating spells as 'weapons', whereas, you have to slot them, with slots determined by Willpower, School and Talents AND they'd cost strain to cast; this goes against the tradition d6 setup used in WEG, but what it allows is for is a balance to spell-casting, effectively making spells 'weapons' akin to the various blasters in Edge and also allows for Spellcrafting modifications. Spells also must be 'readied' similar to other weapons.

That's an interesting idea.  I'd considered the more obvious specializations for spellcasting route while doing light brainstorming.  I felt that, while it might be a further departure from D&D, it was appropriate to a lot of fictional source material, where casters master one or two elements and learn to better those.  Truly exceptional casters master a lot more elements (specializations), but obviously it's more difficult.

Yours is an Interesting take on it.

After 4 sessions it certainly would lend itself to a Mass Effect conversion. I used to run a conversion of WEG Star Wars system which was good but it got really unwieldy in combat with shields and armour and soak dice and round after round of people missing.

A friend has talked about an agents of sheild conversion which could be fun.

In addition, we're treating spells as 'weapons', whereas, you have to slot them, with slots determined by Willpower, School and Talents AND they'd cost strain to cast; this goes against the tradition d6 setup used in WEG, but what it allows is for is a balance to spell-casting, effectively making spells 'weapons' akin to the various blasters in Edge and also allows for Spellcrafting modifications. Spells also must be 'readied' similar to other weapons.

That's an interesting idea.  I'd considered the more obvious specializations for spellcasting route while doing light brainstorming.

I think it's simpler to just borrower from Warhammer RPG, which was the ancestor system to EotE.  It sounds more complicated than it is:

Add a Channelling skill, and a Casting skill, or leave both to Discipline.  At rest, the character always has a pool of Power equal to Willpower.  If you spend some on a spell, it will always head towards "equilibrium" at a rate of 1 point per round.  So if you have a Willpower of 4, and spend 2, in 2 rounds you'll be back at 4.  If you need more than 4 (or need to replenish more quickly), you need to Channel, and each Success or 2Advantages is a power point gained.  If you don't spend them (maybe you need even more), you have to spend a maneuver to "hold" them, otherwise you lose 1 per round until you're back at equilibrium.  Once you have enough to cast with, you roll your Casting skill and the effect is unleashed.  The WRGP rules also give notes on how to handle boons/banes/comets/stars, which are fairly straight-forward to convert to the non-success/failure EotE dice results.

There are other rules about the dangers of holding too much Power, etc, but the basics are very simple to adapt to EotE.

There are other rules about the dangers of holding too much Power, etc, but the basics are very simple to adapt to EotE.

That's certainly an elegant solution to the mechanics of casting, but I can't escape the idea that the spec trees should be related to the type and maximum strength of casting (not unlike the force trees), with something else (maybe a signature ability) that allows you to tie two trees together.  The trees don't have to be 5 levels deep if you want shallower casting strengths.

That's certainly an elegant solution to the mechanics of casting, but I can't escape the idea that the spec trees should be related to the type and maximum strength of casting (not unlike the force trees), with something else (maybe a signature ability) that allows you to tie two trees together.  The trees don't have to be 5 levels deep if you want shallower casting strengths.

Agreed, that would be more ideal, but a LOT of work :)  WRPG is already made, and other than adjusting Willpower and costs down one pip (ranges are 3-7 instead of 2-5) it's already mostly done.

Agreed, that would be more ideal, but a LOT of work :)  WRPG is already made, and other than adjusting Willpower and costs down one pip (ranges are 3-7 instead of 2-5) it's already mostly done.

But..but..but...FIRE tree. :)

Yeah.  But you're already doing a lot of work if you make a caster class/specializations anyway.  Adding a tree for move/control options, damage (elemental type optional, maybe), and general magick-y type stuff (like seeing magic or using skills).  Getting into the tree gets you the ability to perform a spellcasting action, using the power mechanic you specified.

Mm...yummy.

But..but..but...FIRE tree. :)

Yeah...hmmm, that's a good idea, having a tree per type.  One thing I dislike about WRPG is their concept of magic (and I absolutely despise D&D).  In the old days we had Chivalry and Sorcery, especially 3rd ed with its different branches of magic...I might have to dust off some tomes...

I actually ran a game as an indiana Jones type game.

Think i ran it as 30s rather than modern but can't remember.

Character creation notes are here : http://that70sgame.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/edge-of-the-world-1/

I would love it if FFG did an official Indiana Jones game using the EotE system. Even if it was just a one off or had a limited amount of books. ;)

I was thinking about the narrative system the other day cleaning out some old Champions stuff and it occurred to me these dice would probably work well in that kind of setting.  It lends itself to over the top flamboyance anyway.

I think this system would be great for a Marvel Super Heroes RPG. Seriously, I'm really hoping this system is used for some sort of super hero system, but Marvel would be my first pick.

I was always partial to making our own universe but since comics have taken a turn to the more serious and dire over the years I've got no iron in the fire either way.  I enjoy Marvel but I enjoy Arrow a lot as well, it's all good to me.

Super Heroes.

Each class gets built out as an archetype ( tank, shooter, melee, controller etc).

The multi-class system is already in place so building a melee/tank works out quite well.

The challenge is building converting the force powers into super power trees. (there are just so many super powers to make trees for). Again. the way multi-classing works you can build character with multiple powers.

The biggest change is various characters are rated and built with different XP values.

Need to test it out and build everything more but so far the dice system makes for fantastic super heroes gaming.

Super Heroes.

Each class gets built out as an archetype ( tank, shooter, melee, controller etc).

The multi-class system is already in place so building a melee/tank works out quite well.

The challenge is building converting the force powers into super power trees. (there are just so many super powers to make trees for). Again. the way multi-classing works you can build character with multiple powers.

The biggest change is various characters are rated and built with different XP values.

Need to test it out and build everything more but so far the dice system makes for fantastic super heroes gaming.

I just thought about the dice in general.  In regards to an actual system I don't know if I would stick with a similar career/spec approach, or open it up more to a universal spec/power type approach, like Force users and Force powers are handled.

I would probably add more xp trees for other aspects of the character though, like a background xp tree, if you wanted to be the wealthy tycoon or the ace cub reporter.  Probably the secret lair tree.  The uber vehicle tree. The hero group HQ tree, etc.

Edited by 2P51

I was thinking about the narrative system the other day cleaning out some old Champions stuff and it occurred to me these dice would probably work well in that kind of setting.  It lends itself to over the top flamboyance anyway.

I think this system would be great for a Marvel Super Heroes RPG. Seriously, I'm really hoping this system is used for some sort of super hero system, but Marvel would be my first pick.

Actually, the latest Marvel game was a narrative system, so adapting it to the Star Wars system would probably not be too difficult.

Funny enough, I've actually been working on an Elder Scrolls conversion of my own, that I've made a fair amount of progress on.

Managed to accomplish thusfar:

• The rules set up for Spellcrafting, using a collection of new skills that represent the major Spell Schools, and a basic Magicka resource system.
  • Rules for Alchemy and Enchanting, which make use of the Spellcrafting rules, and resources.
  • Rules for Lycanthrope and Vampirism
  • Rules for Diseases
  • Stats for all Player Races
  • Oldschool Class-based Talent trees, called Archetypes, which define a 'type' of Adventurer the player is (These are still in progress). Contains things like "Guard" "Healer" and "Battlemage". Allows a smoother conversion of EotE careers.
  • Beasts and Wildlife Bestiary for all Provinces
  • Equipment Qualities and basic equipment. Concept that you take the base stats of a weapon/armour and modify it based on the Make/Material.
  • Character Sheets
  • Silly Book Cover

Always looking for feedback. I started a thread for it awhile back, but it has since been buried.

I have a collection of documents released to the public on Google Drive, located here if anyone is curious.

Actually, the latest Marvel game was a narrative system, so adapting it to the Star Wars system would probably not be too difficult.

Is it any good?

I plan on using this system for Dark Heresy. Works almost as a straight port. Just add elemental damage to the telekinesis force power for psychers and modify the weapon tables slightly(mostly changing rarities) and we'd be good to go.

I have a DH set adventure coming up but since FFG bottled out of the major revisions to DH2 and it's just the same basic system as DH1 (which I never liked), I'm looking for an alternate system. EotE is one candidate, Shadowrun 4th is the other. My concern is that EotE is a bit too heroic for DH. Also maybe not quite granular enough. SR4 is a pretty good match-up as you can do all the cyberware as bionic implants and it scales enough that you can do Space Marines and such. But I really like EotE system. How has it worked for you with DH? And how have you converted things like Power Armour?

What marvel game is this? Link, year it came out, example play?