Sign in to follow this  
Liberiton

Edge of Empire system in other settings

I just ran my players thru a  one-off were I re-sikned EotE as "TaleSpin"  and we all had a blast. Just ignore the force and Droids and it slips right on.

Wait, like the Disney cartoon with Baloo?  Pretty cool.

Great now all I want to do is sit on the sofa watching old cartoons and work on converting D&D to EotE.

Actually quite a bit of it can cross pretty straight over. Look at the maurader specilization and all I see is barbarian.

Talents like Armor master could be great for the Fighter

Talents from the scholar tree for the Wizard

Take a bit from the Scoundrel and the Assassin for the Rogue

Cleric is a bit tricky but talents like resolve and Armor master seem to fit

Ranger is pretty much Scout.

Bard is actually rediculously easy, take the politico, scholar specilizations mixed with a bit of the scoundrel and there you go. For whom else could deliver an inspired retoric or scathing tirade than the bard? I thought I saw a single ability to just know something in one of the trees that would fit them as well.

All of them will need some adjustments. I was thinking of breaking the weapons proficencies into four groups:

Simple Melee, Simple Ranged, Martial Melee, and Martial Ranged. I`d keep brawl the same.

As far as the other skills go I got this far:

Replace Astrogation with Navigation

Replace Pilot Surface with Ride (Horses, Ponies, Riding dogs, Dragons, ect)

Replace Pilot Space with Vehicle (for carts, wagons, ships, or gnomish contraptions)

Replace Computers with Engineer

Knowledges would need to be jostled around a bit. I`m thinking removing the planetary knowleges, replacing them with knowlege Magic, and knowlege Locales. I`d keep the Knowlege general and Knowlege underworld.

I`ve been doing alot of work on converting classes and equipment. Anyone interested in helping on this project PM me. Once we`ve got a working system we`ll post it for others to take a use for their own purposes.

Thoughts?

Just had a thought with all this talk of D&D conversion. Dark Sun is my favorite D&D setting. Spellcasters in that setting would work great using the Force dice. In setting you gather the power to cast spells from surrounding living things. Mostly plants, but also from living beings in some cases. But the roll of the Force dice could simulate this quite well. White pips could be used when you are a preserver, only taking enough life force to cast your spells. Flip a DP and use the black pips when you defile, killing plants within a radius.

You could have four careers to start; cleric, fighter, rogue, wizard. Then have further specs. Cleric; paladin, priest, shaman. Fighter; barbarian, ranger, soldier/knight. Rogue; assassin, bard, thief. Wizard; mage, sorcerer, warlock/witch. The openness of being able to take different specs would allow for all those favorite multi-classes.

Magic could be done like Force powers, maybe spell types being powers. Do you really need a hundred different spells that cause damage? Have a spell/power that causes damage and then you can describe the trappings. Either they are fixed at when you take the spell or they are mutable when you cast it.

Hmmm, may have to study this some more. Edge of the Dark Sun.

I've been running a Fantasy game with the EotE system since mid beta (it took that long to get translations in workable order). I've translated a ton of careers and specializations, created new specializations, reworked force powers to be a kind of magic support system, wrote several magic systems (each major race handles magic uniquely), reworked how melee weapons work to reduce the power of Brawn (since melee is far more prevalent). I have added crafting, enchanting, runesmithing, companions, and hirelings. I changed the destiny point system to something inspired by Torchbearer's traits and checks and I have created a full set of player races and monsters.

My players understand that everything is a work in progress so things change a little after each session, but it is in a really good place now and I am making very few changes now. They system wasn't that hard, but everything is based on my home-brew setting so it is not a classic D&D fantasy world.

I don't think starting with classic D&D tropes is the right way to go with this system, because if you want D&D, just go play it.

Additionally, I know people are working on Western (Edge of the Union on these boards), Mass Effect (not publicly released, but some discussion on d20 radio boards), and Elder Scrolls (you can find the discussion on the d20 radio boards) settings.

Edited by JasonRR

My table has been working on a conversion for the Conan setting (a favorite of all involved...), and it's been coming together perfectly.

We're keeping as true to the books as we can- high level magic is out as a character option (although we've adapted the force mechanics for low level magical talents, with sorcerous corruption as a constant threat), the minion rules allow a mighty warrior to hack their way through waves of cannon fodder, and the duels are short, bloody and brutal.

I have to say, FFG has given us one of the best all around systems I've ever encountered... and I've been playing at tabletops and involved with game design for almost 35 years...

Ha! I`m comming up with ideas for modding this system faster than I can find players to test it.

Magic could be done like Force powers, maybe spell types being powers. Do you really need a hundred different spells that cause damage? Have a spell/power that causes damage and then you can describe the trappings. Either they are fixed at when you take the spell or they are mutable when you cast it.

This is exactly how I`m working it :). You have the schools of magic, evocation, conjuration, enchantment, transmutation ect, and can proceed up the power tree of those gather control, maginitude, strength, range and duration, then you just get creative from there. It does make the caster much less of a jack of all trades but they can get some low level power in just about every branch for cheap.

Still trying to balance out that magic (force) rating and what checks need to be made to resist ect.

I like the idea of casters taking strain if they use black pips, means that the more powerful spells you sling the more toll it can take on the character.  

I don't think starting with classic D&D tropes is the right way to go with this system, because if you want D&D, just go play it.

As far as making a D&D version I`m working on it as a basis from which I can branch out further. It has core elements from which all things can spring to fantasy. I do still play classic D&D (well pathfinder but it counts), there is a reason its be reincarnated so many **** times is that it fits the bulk of fantasy playing styles. I am quite literally reinventing the wheel here, but atleast this wheel comes with narrative dice.

I've been running a Fantasy game with the EotE system since mid beta (it took that long to get translations in workable order). I've translated a ton of careers and specializations, created new specializations, reworked force powers to be a kind of magic support system, wrote several magic systems (each major race handles magic uniquely), reworked how melee weapons work to reduce the power of Brawn (since melee is far more prevalent). I have added crafting, enchanting, runesmithing, companions, and hirelings. I changed the destiny point system to something inspired by Torchbearer's traits and checks and I have created a full set of player races and monsters.

I would love to see your work if you would send me a link. Though right now I`m trying to simplify as much as possible, having each major race handle magic uniquely sounds cool but might be overly complicated and I`d like to see the work you`ve done with the power of brawn as it seems to begin to break once you would run into a big nasty like a giant or something.

Really interested in how you handled magical items. Every time I think about it I wonder how I could make it and not break the system.

I plan on using this system for Dark Heresy. Works almost as a straight port. Just add elemental damage to the telekinesis force power for psychers and modify the weapon tables slightly(mostly changing rarities) and we'd be good to go.

I would love to see your work if you would send me a link. Though right now I`m trying to simplify as much as possible, having each major race handle magic uniquely sounds cool but might be overly complicated and I`d like to see the work you`ve done with the power of brawn as it seems to begin to break once you would run into a big nasty like a giant or something.

Really interested in how you handled magical items. Every time I think about it I wonder how I could make it and not break the system.

I don't have it publicly available, but I would be more than happy to share what I have if you send me a PM.

I don't think that the NarDS that powers Edhe of the empire works for a straight conversion to D&D. Something will have to give. Magic is the thing. I would almost consider making each magic school a talent tree.

Ohhh that's a good idea. Each school with it's own tree that buffs/augments it would work well. Clerics for instance know every spell per level that they can cast from. They just have to pray and memorize whatever spell they want to use. Wizards IIRC get a few spells when they level and then have to find spell scrolls or spell books to learn how to cast new spells.

I'd love to see this re-worked into the Dune setting.  I don't think that the Bene Geserit, the Mentat, the Sardukar, or the Fremen are any more powerful than a Jedi, and in fact I think they're less powerful than a full Jedi Master.  Short of someone wanting to play the Kwisatz Haderach, I think this system would work closer to perfectly than anything I've ever seen.  

I think that this would really handle The Walking Dead really well as an rpg.... I've thought about writing a game based on it using this system. Careers could be as simple as Athlete, Law Enforcement Officer, Slacker, Academic, Criminal.... etc... with some more custom specializations.... I think the narrative dice would work well for the type of stories you can tell with Walking Dead. 

I would have the biggest geek chub for this system in a Mass Effect setting.

Star Wars is my first sci-fi love, but I've really gotten into the Mass Effect series and I'd like to do that as well.

I would also pay cold hard cash for a fantasy setting, seeing how 90% of my gaming has be in such a setting.

Finally, I would love to see this system adopted for Deadlands.  LOVE that setting.  Hate the RP systems attached to it.

Finally, I would love to see this system adopted for Deadlands.  LOVE that setting.  Hate the RP systems attached to it.

Hmmm, guess you can't please everyone. Savage Worlds is by far my favorite rules set. I'm running the Freeport trilogy with it with my home group.

Hmmm, guess you can't please everyone. Savage Worlds is by far my favorite rules set. I'm running the Freeport trilogy with it with my home group.

It's not so much a problem with Savage Worlds.  I have the books and even tried to learn it.  I see the potential to the Savage Worlds ruleset.  I just don't like how they are presented.  Just making a character in that system has me flipping back and forth between books and I find that annoying.

Additionally, when I'm trying to run it, I find myself having to flip back and forth as well... now lets see... that rule was in this book... no... maybe this other book...

Not to mention that short period when they tried to shoehorn d20 onto Deadlands.

Again, not that either of these systems are bad, I just prefer EoE's system over pretty much everything at this point in my gaming career.  It's cleaner, faster, and frankly better for roleplaying.

I'll probably be laughed out of respectability for saying this, but ever since reading about the scathing rhetoric politico build, I can't help but imagine that someone, somewhere, is converting this system for My Little Pony roleplay, based soley on this scene ... http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/File:Fluttershy_stares_at_the_dragon_S1E07.png

If FFG made a generic fantasy version of this rules engine I'd almost immediately run a campaign set in David Gemmell's Drenai world.  It's pretty standard fantasy fare, but the Source priests and Dark Brotherhood are very similar to Jedi levels of power.  I also think the system would work very well for the Against All Odds type of storytelling that Gemmell put out.  

If FFG made a generic fantasy version of this rules engine I'd almost immediately run a campaign set in David Gemmell's Drenai world.  It's pretty standard fantasy fare, but the Source priests and Dark Brotherhood are very similar to Jedi levels of power.  I also think the system would work very well for the Against All Odds type of storytelling that Gemmell put out.  

My favorite author. I'd like to see that.

Just to give an update, I'm pretty far along with my TES game - Awayputurweapon and myself have been collaborating on this one. It's working pretty well, right now I'm busy building out Talent Trees, but it's a pretty customized conversion - there are only 5 skills and each 'Class' gets all the skills based on their associated Characteristic, rather than the Careers being diversified. In addition, skills were brought down to 30, with Specializations drawing from AT MOST 3 Characteristics to prevent issues that have been brought up with EotE specializations needing too many characteristics to be efficient with all skills related to their specializations.

We've got a handful of ideas for Force dice that would tie into the realm for the adaption.

In addition, we're treating spells as 'weapons', whereas, you have to slot them, with slots determined by Willpower, School and Talents AND they'd cost strain to cast; this goes against the tradition d6 setup used in WEG, but what it allows is for is a balance to spell-casting, effectively making spells 'weapons' akin to the various blasters in Edge and also allows for Spellcrafting modifications. Spells also must be 'readied' similar to other weapons.

I'll keep you all posted and would be willing to share everything once we finish up.

Just had a thought with all this talk of D&D conversion. Dark Sun is my favorite D&D setting. Spellcasters in that setting would work great using the Force dice. In setting you gather the power to cast spells from surrounding living things. Mostly plants, but also from living beings in some cases. But the roll of the Force dice could simulate this quite well. White pips could be used when you are a preserver, only taking enough life force to cast your spells. Flip a DP and use the black pips when you defile, killing plants within a radius.

You could have four careers to start; cleric, fighter, rogue, wizard. Then have further specs. Cleric; paladin, priest, shaman. Fighter; barbarian, ranger, soldier/knight. Rogue; assassin, bard, thief. Wizard; mage, sorcerer, warlock/witch. The openness of being able to take different specs would allow for all those favorite multi-classes.

Hmmm, may have to study this some more. Edge of the Dark Sun.

I'm working on a Dark Sun conversion at the moment. Custom careers, rather than simply riffing off the D&D classes. Magic is done like Force powers, with light/dark representing preserving and defiling. Each school has its own talent tree/specialization. Elementalism is presented in the same way (one tree/specialization per type), sans Force die. (I'm thinking it costs Strain to use instead.)

I'm tinkering with the mod/attachment rules to allow for weapon and armor crafting, so that you can have weapons and armor using different materials, with materials affecting the stats of the item.

So on, so forth.

I'm almost finished my with TES Hack - its taken me a bit of time, but tinkering with Talent Trees really does take a good degree of thought... awayputurwpn has been helping out significantly with the development as well as we've been culminating multiple ideas and scrapping others. After I run through with a BETA campaign with my players giving me feedback, I'll make it available for all.

Edited by MosesofWar