Sign in to follow this  
Mndela

Cards that you have never played them

There are no useless cards, but there are that you have never played them..., and by this way they are useless if you think so, this is my list:

ffg_ever-onward-kd.jpg

This card i have NEVER NEVER played, and i dont think how to include in my decks, maybe playing alone?

PD: more cards in the next post

Edited by Mndela

Here's an ally I've never used.  He could be handy in location management decks, but since he doesn't really belong to any "faction" I have never found a spot for him.  I do like the artwork a lot, though. (Hope his boots are waterproof...)

med_ravenhill-scout-trg.jpg

Edited by Karlson

Beorning Beekeeper for the win.

1. Underdeveloped trait!

2. Expensive!!

3. Ridiculous art!!!

4. Special ability involves discarding!!!!  

5. Beekeeper!!!!!

Argh!!!!! This card is so bad!!!!

M1175.png

Edited by Ryakool

I for one hope the beekeeper will become a staple once :P Although I can hardly imagine that happening...but I like the artwork and I love Honey and Bees, so I kinda like the thematic aspect of the card :D

What I like about this game is that FFG uses traits that have no home yet. Sure at the moment it can mean that certain cards are useless and it doesn't make much sense to use them now. But it also opens up future design space to develop new traits and archetypes.

One card I never bothered to use:

M1220.png

Not saying Beorning Beekeeper is a game-changer but I have not only played it but also used it to a very decent effect several times (though yes, I would say it was about 10% of the games). The card goes well with Thalin, obviously, and other direct damage, like Hail of Stones, Gondorian Spearman, Spear of the Citadel. Killing enemies by direct damage is very effective, not only it reduces (in some cases) the threat in the staging area but it get you rid of their attacking value and shadow effect, not to mention bypassing their defence. I do hope, however, that one day this card gets way better, I believe minor factions like Bardings or Beornings should have powerful cards, since it is easier to avoid power-creep problems due synergies.

I haven't really used any of the other cards mentioned. And loads of others, mostly Dwarf and Outlands.

Edited by lleimmoen

There are no useless cards, but there are that you have never played them..., and by this way they are useless if you think so, this is my list:

ffg_ever-onward-kd.jpg

This card i have NEVER NEVER played, and i dont think how to include in my decks, maybe playing alone?

PD: more cards in the next post

Indeed this card isn't bad for solo players. There are those early scenarios in which you didn't want to proceed to the next stage, where Early Onward helps you to make zero progress without getting a penalty. It's also helpful when you want to face some tough enemies with all your forces. You can play Bofur for only one resource with that card. Also leadership usually has an overflow of resources, so this card is not too expensive.

3. Ridiculous art!!!

What? I agree on everything else, but the art in this card is good, if not pretty good. What else would you have imagined to be a Beorning beekeeper to be like?

Agreed, I meant no disrespect to the artist.  Given the source topic, I suppose this is the most fantastic way to represent the epic nature of beekeeping.

I for one hope the beekeeper will become a staple once :P Although I can hardly imagine that happening...but I like the artwork and I love Honey and Bees, so I kinda like the thematic aspect of the card :D

What I like about this game is that FFG uses traits that have no home yet. Sure at the moment it can mean that certain cards are useless and it doesn't make much sense to use them now. But it also opens up future design space to develop new traits and archetypes.

One card I never bothered to use:

M1220.png

This guy works well in a Outlands deck to set cards up for the Outlands hunter, he works well in a leadership tactics deck that uses horn of Gondar as well. :)

Yes, I see. I heard so many bad things about Outlands that I never really dived into that archetype ;) But it's something I love about this game and card games in general: Almost any card has its uses, I wish had more time to explore different possibilities!

ffg_a-watchful-peace-hon.jpg

This is a card that i always want to add into my deck, and never never never i reach it. When i have to reduce my number of card to get only 50 cards of my deck, it always keeps out

Edited by Mndela

I've gone back and used Power in the Earth more recently. It can really help when you need to patiently clear out some locations in the staging area with Northern Tracker, but you really put it in because you want to make use if it more than anything else. Ever Onward and Keen-eyed Took are both great in some deck builds, like a more combat-focused deck or with the Prince, but man; they really piss off other players in multi.

That beekeeper card is just awful.

Gandalf Search:

ffg_gandalfs-search-core.jpg

I have never played it, honestly. The better use i find is to draw only 1 card if you need: pay 1 resource to draw 1 card.

For other better use: you need lots of resources, and when you have lots of resources you have better options to play other better cards.

I agree with all the cards listed so far. As a new player that makes me feel a little more confident about my deck building. There have been a few times I've looked at some of those cards and thought, there has to be something I;m missing, but I guess not.

I have never played it, honestly. The better use i find is to draw only 1 card if you need: pay 1 resource to draw 1 card.

For other better use: you need lots of resources, and when you have lots of resources you have better options to play other better cards.

Agreed. Further reason this card will never see the light of day is the emergence of Hidden Cache where you also get to spend one resource to draw a card, but with the benefit that it's neutral sphere and if it gets discarded for some reason you get two resources for your trouble.

Gandalf's Search is one of my favorite art designs so I use it for my green FFG deck box display card.

Edited by Ryakool

Gandalf Search:

ffg_gandalfs-search-core.jpg

I still use it just to draw one card. As I play now from the beginnig with only Core Set, it´s ok because there are not so many possibilities to draw cards (except exhausting heros/characters) at this time. So I pay 1 resource and take a card^^ Helped me a few times. However, I think later with the other cards it would be disapeare in the box too.

I also never used Gandalf's Search although it is not a bad card per se. I remember when I used to play MTG i quite liked these "Look at top X card" effects. But the resource management in this game - and especially the lore sphere -  makes this card difficult to play efficiently, although I just yesterday wished I could have scried the top X cards of my deck. But of course, I wouldn't have had the resources for it anyway ;-)

Maybe in a mono Lore deck this could help find you the "one" card you so desperately need...

Artwork by the way is awesome ;)

Watchful Peace can be very useful for scenarios that have useful locations or a location that is very mild compared to everything else in the encounter deck. For example, in the scenario "Foundations of Stone" you could use Watchful Peace to put "Drowned Treasury" back on the encounter deck. Assuming you have enough questing power to deal with the location quickly, this is the best possible card to get from the encounter deck. For "Watcher in the Water" you could send a softball location like "Makeshift Passage" back to the encounter deck and guarantee yourself one less tentacle to fight next round

If you have any scrying ability (ex. Henemarth Riversong), you can use his ability in the action window after staging to see what's coming next and then if something is nasty you could then use Watchful Peace to send a just explored location back to the deck. This is particularly useful if you have locations without shadow effects.

Watchful Peace is one of those cards that really shines in specific scenarios while being totally useless in others.

Gandalf's Search will play a much bigger role in the upcoming Voice of Isengard set due to the nasty effects linked to hand size. Check out this article. Gandalf's Search will help you get exactly the card you want without drawing too many cards and getting whacked by the encounter deck. 

Agreed, I meant no disrespect to the artist.  Given the source topic, I suppose this is the most fantastic way to represent the epic nature of beekeeping.

Well, that's the point I agree on. The idea to make a beekeeper ally is dumb. But that doesn't mean that because the idea is bad the art is "ridiculous", as you say. In fact I quite enjoy the colors and technique used in it, one of the few saving graces of the card.

Almost all the times you want to use Watchfull Peace, you have enemies that will attack, so it will be a shadow card. Better is Shadow of the Past, and it is neutral (the bad thing is that it costs 2 resources, instead 1), and you can return back just lost objectives you want (not only locations).

Edited by Mndela