Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dain Ironfoot

Another new preview!

94 posts in this topic

Wow!  Love what Caleb and Matt are doing.  I liked how he discussed developing a thematic core for a trait, so that it has a strong identity and mirrors the role of the race in the books.  The biggest complaint about Gondor, aside from it being underdeveloped, is that it lacks a clear identity.  With one AP, it seems like Silvan will have a clearly defined role in the game.    

And perhaps we got a little foreshadowing of this with Silvan Refugee and Children of the Sea, both of which look a lot more valuable now (though I always liked Silvan Refugee).

chuckles, Raven1015 and danpoage like this

That was so amazing!!! I have been patiently controlling my excitement throughout the wait for Voice of Isenguard, but this... this is just too much to handle! I had a feeling that the Elves were the next group to receive some love, and boy are they indeed.  I couldn't be happier with the direction that they're taking with the Silvan trait, and that Celeborn hero.  Wow! 

celeborn.png

Aside from my excitement for the Elven developments, I am happy to see that Secrecy will be getting some added options too, making Hobbits even more enjoyable to hide, seek, and quest as.  

So ready for this year's Lord of the Rings LCG goodness.  :D

Edited by Karlson
faith_star83 likes this

Love the fact that our elves are getting a bit of attention now :)

But the Silvan trait isn’t the only theme being developed in The Ring-maker; there’s so much more to look forward to in this cycle! Where previous cycles dedicated a larger portion of cards to their main themes, the player cards in The Ring-maker provide more of a smattering of Middle-earth in order to introduce several new strategies and revive a few older ones too (Secrecy, anyone?). There’s something for everyone in The Ring-maker!

This made me very happy :)

player1761766 likes this

Awesome ability on Celeborn. This means we might see Lady Galadriel by the end of the cycle. And it seems like there will be a new focus for each AP--so it will not only be Silvan which gets developed but, in Caleb's words, "a smattering of Middle Earth." Secrecy hint as well. Looking forward to this year!

I'm in love as well... of the Silvan cuites and of the whole cycle! Wow, what can I say, first of all, Dunland is one of my absolute favorite places in Middle earth and it's great to see that the first adventure pack will be set there. Plus, the dunlending enemies and "culture" (boar-clan, anyone?) look exactly as I wanted them to be. The silvan trait focus is amazing as well, and the player cards shown in the article look all very playable. I'm extremely excited for this cycle.

Also, Ost-in-Edhil? FFG has heard my prayers!

Awesome. This is looking great.

I am really curious to see what spirit has in store. So far no spirit cards have been spoiled in VoI previews or this one. They got the short end of the stick in HoN. Hoping to see some interesting things for that sphere.

If it's as good as what i have seen here it should be amazing.

Looks like Rumil response will not work with lore event The Tree People. Nice to see some willpower for tactics, compare him to Bofur which costs 3 and has one more hit point. Is the ability of Rumil that much stronger? Still thrilled regardless.

A;LDKFJAL;SKDJFL;KASDJFKL;ASDJFL;KASDJFL;KASDJFL;KASDJFL;ASKDJFL;KASJF;LKASDJF;LASKDJFL;AKDJF;LASDJFL;KASDJFL;KASDJFL;KASDJFL;KASJDFL;KASDJFKL;ASDJFLK;ASJDFLK;ASDJFLK;AJSDFKL;JASDKFLJASLFJLKASDJFLK;ASDJFL;KASDJFLK;ASDJFLKASDJFLK;ASDJFKLAJSDFLKJASDKLFJASDJLF

Karlson and Nickpes like this

Looks like Rumil response will not work with lore event The Tree People. Nice to see some willpower for tactics, compare him to Bofur which costs 3 and has one more hit point. Is the ability of Rumil that much stronger? Still thrilled regardless.

I like the card. Better than the Beorning beekeeper at least. Assuming you have Legolas it'll be at least 2 damage which is decent. 

Also, Ost-in-Edhil? FFG has heard my prayers!

Absolutely, the history of Eregion is one of my favorite parts of the lore. Caleb and Matt have done their homework and are going deep into the lore. Ost-in-Edhil played a major role in the manufacture of the rings of power and the battle against Sauron, but also in the alienation of the local peoples of the area who later became the Dunlendings. The thematic synergy here is nice and I can't wait to read the story that FFG has written for this cycle. Hopefully we'll see a bit more of the area of Eregion, I'd especially like to see the ruins of Tharbad.

I was already excited for this cycle before and I'm over the top excited now.

My elves deck (which is my favorite to play) is excited. I hope we see a neutral elven card or two.

But... Celeborn Silvan? What am I missing?

Also, I hope they tie off the few loose ends of the Dunedain cards.

Great job FFG!

I'm glad they haven't abandoned secrecy. I hate when a CCG abandons support for a deficient game mechanic and you're stuck with a whole bunch of cards you'll rarely (or never) use. I trust that Caleb and Matt have taken a hard look at secrecy, identified its weaknesses and now the mechanic will be resurrected in grand style!

Plus... more mount support? I'm very curious.

Absolutely, the history of Eregion is one of my favorite parts of the lore. Caleb and Matt have done their homework and are going deep into the lore. Ost-in-Edhil played a major role in the manufacture of the rings of power and the battle against Sauron, but also in the alienation of the local peoples of the area who later became the Dunlendings. The thematic synergy here is nice and I can't wait to read the story that FFG has written for this cycle. Hopefully we'll see a bit more of the area of Eregion, I'd especially like to see the ruins of Tharbad.

Agreed, agreed. Add to that my hopes for magic ring attachments (either rings of power or just lesser magic rings) and maybe even some lost seeing-stones. 

I thought the same thing, so I did a little research.

He's listed alternately as Sindarin (earlier) and Telerin (later, maybe). The former seems to be more canonical and is also what Legolas and Thranduil are (even though the former is traited Silvan in the game, probably because they lived with/ruled Silvan elves). I suspect they decided to make it easy and make him Silvan like Leg's rather than introduce another Elf race into the game.

Maybe someone more qualified would care to weigh in, rich? Gizli?

Hmm, I'm no expert on the subject of the different strains of elves, and to be honest I don't really trust ffg's decision to make two elven traits, Noldor and Silvan, because that is not really accurate (should've went with just Elf IMO). That said, if I recall correctly Celeborn was a Sindarin, which may be related but it's definately not the same as Silvan elves. Many silvan elves were ruled by Sindar elves (like Thranduil and Legolas) so it seems they're just repeating the process of naming such characters like Legolas and Celeborn Silvan for economic purposes and because that's the people they ruled. Not something I would have agreed about, but that's just ffg. Then again we got the "Istari" and "Dúnedain" traits which are also a bit weird, as well as no "Man" trait for some reason.

danpoage likes this

Oh boy so many elves in one pack!! I guess from now on this pack should be renamed "The Silvan Pack" (like the outlands in TSF). Run il is costly but it can have great effect. If you run Legolas and have some Trollshaw scouts you could deal massive damage to enemies. I think Noldor and Silvan would be great for 2 player. My Elven Alliance deck will now see some changes.

My elves deck (which is my favorite to play) is excited. I hope we see a neutral elven card or two.

Also, I hope they tie off the few loose ends of the Dunedain cards.

Great job FFG!

I was thinking the exact same thing. I guess I should have suspected this would happen, when Legolas was included in the core set with the Silvan trait. Granted, Legolas even calls himself a Silvan in the books, but I guess they didn't want to include Sindar as a trait. Now that Celeborn will be released with the Silvan trait, it is safe to say that Sindar and Teleri will not be traits in this game. Oh well, it's a small price to pay for what look to be some great cards.

Edited by danpoage
Dain Ironfoot likes this