Sign in to follow this  
Audio Weasel

Teaching my wife to play

I guess I got pretty lucky. My girlfriend is just as much a star wars nerd as I am and she has taken an interest in playing the game with me. The only problem is we both wanna play the empire. But I am willing to let her play the empire cuz I can't be picky. Like I said, I am lucky to have found a woman like her. So as far as I am concerned, she can play whoever she wants. I am just happy I can be my nerdy self around her. So with that being said, its awesome that you have a wife you can play this awesome game with. For those that don't, I guess it depends on how important the game is to you.

and she loves the game so far.

my wife and i play this game every thursday night that we can make it to at our local playgroup

That's great to hear, guys!

One of the repeating, but infrequent, bits of our Star Wars Miniverse podcast (see my signature) is the female perspective.  Would you and your wives be willing to be guests of the show for an episode?  If so, I'd send the questions and format ahead of time so the girls and you would know what to expect.  You can also listen to episode #12 with our wives or to #17 with Andria's appearance or #20 with Kylie's appearance or #29-30 with Laura or #35-36 with Trish, Karen, and Michelle's appearance.  We could have the conversation using a call-in number using TalkShoe's free service.  We could have both couples in one chat or two separate chats.

Interested?  Willing?  :)

I'm certainly willing and interested.  I'd have to check with her, of course lol 

I suppose I should add that she's only played twice.  She does want to play more, and is actually considering going to a tournament at the end of the month with me.  I think she just wants to take first place and rub that in my face though lol.

Edited by Audio Weasel

My wife does not like anything Si-Fi. any advice on getting her interested in the game?

Then..why did you marry her? Lol

I don't wanna' be a jerk but... You know that actually is a pretty valid question.

I can't imagine marrying someone that I can't share my strongest interests with.

My wife has always been difficult about gaming. However she is awesome at many other things including being the mom to our kids. Love isn't always logical and it rarely optimizes.

My wife does not like anything Si-Fi. any advice on getting her interested in the game?

I don't wanna' be a jerk but... You know that actually is a pretty valid question.

I can't imagine marrying someone that I can't share my strongest interests with.

My wife has always been difficult about gaming. However she is awesome at many other things including being the mom to our kids. Love isn't always logical and it rarely optimizes.

'Tis a fair point.

Same here. We just hit it off on so many levels that the si-fi thing never really came up untill later. Now after 15+ years I cannot see myself with anyone else. Great wife and mother...win win.

My wife has 0.0% in sharing my geek time. She is looking forward to the days when the boys are old enough to join me in geek time. She does however enjoying traveling at going to some of the game conventions. She prefers myhistorical choicesbetter though. I did not marry here for gaming interests.

I don't think our children with have this problem. I feel that geekdom is nicely leveling out. Last night I was in a group that was nicely 50/50....

I'm also hoping then new Star Wars movies have some more decent characters... The universe is still severely lacking. Ahsoka Tano and Barriss Offee are about the only well fleshed out female character that have reached the screen.

Edited by Rodent Mastermind

My wife didn't know she was a Star Wars nerd until she married one.  I have corrupted her to the dark side.  She had zero interest in sci-fi before but now she's all like, "Wanna watch some Battlestar Galactica?"  Because of that, I'm all like, "I want to reproduce with you."

I still can't get her to play x-wing. 

I don't think our children with have this problem. I feel that geekdom is nicely leveling out. Last night I was in a group that was nicely 50/50....

I'm also hoping then new Star Wars movies have some more decent characters... The universe is still severely lacking. Ahsoka Tano and Barriss Offee are about the only well fleshed out female character that have reached the screen.

You're right you know. Star Wars' females are severely underwritten. That really needs to change.

Not to say they've all been damsels or something though, quite the opposite! Even Panda Bear Ambrosia Daily could hold her own with out Anakin.

My wife didn't know she was a Star Wars nerd until she married one.  I have corrupted her to the dark side.  She had zero interest in sci-fi before but now she's all like, "Wanna watch some Battlestar Galactica?"  Because of that, I'm all like, "I want to reproduce with you."

I still can't get her to play x-wing. 

On one hand, awesome. On the other hand, bummer.

Much agreeing to the more diversity in Star Wars, and in media in general. Preferably if the diverse characters are just there, and no special spot light has to be shown on their diverse status, that just makes them tokens.