Sign in to follow this  
Sylrae

Cross-Line Compatibility?

So, at first glance, the Age of Rebellion stuff seems to be compatible with the Edge of the Empire stuff. How compatible are they?

Are they 100% compatible, or is it like nWoD and WH40k wherein the mechanics look the same, but either the power level or the power curve between different lines are completely different?

It's the exact same mechanics system and, in my experience of having a couple AoR careers in an Edge game, it works fine. I think the real compatibility stuff will be when F&D comes out, just because I think balancing that kind of Force level will be very tricky.

Excellent. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. :)

A friend is talking about starting an EotE game some time soon. Good to know all the sources will work together.

F&D does sound like it might require a power level difference, yeah. I suppose we'll see.

Edited by Sylrae

As others have said, the product line is designed to be 100% Compatible across the three core rulebooks, as FFG avoided the pitfall of designing each game in a vacuum, bur rather designed them as all being part of what they dub "a full Star Wars experience."

F&D does sound like it might require a power level difference, yeah. I suppose we'll see.

It actually might not.  Bear in mind that most of the Jedi we see in the current media are experienced heroes, who in FFG terms have a few hundred XP under their belts; the closest we've truly seen in the films to a "starting PC" Jedi was the kid played by George Lucas' son during the Jedi Temple assault in Episode III, who managed to take down a couple of Clone Troopers before getting blasted and allowing Senator Bail Organa time to flee the scene.  Ahsoka Tano was hardly what I'd call a starting PC, as she was able to keep pace with experienced characters like Anakin (a Jedi Knight at this point) and Clone Troopers that had literally been bred for battle.

FFG's done a pretty good job with keeping PCs from EotE and AoR on the same level, so i suspect that F&D PCs won't stray too far in terms of power.  If anything, I'd suspect the biggest perk that F&D PC would get is what amounts to an extra 20 XP due to having Force Rating 1 as part of their initial career/specialization selection.

I agree with Donovan, that the characters we see have several hundred experience under their belt. I suspect that the careers will be a bit different than what we know, possibly giving less career skills in exchange for a force rating. It could be that most specialties give the first force rating. I do expect reprinted specialties such as the pilot to be used as is.

I also am expecting that Jedi and other named orders will NOT be careers, but that they will be tied to the obligation/duty equivalent in this game. I am going to call it 'commitment' taken from Yoda's line: A Jedi must have the deepest commitment. I am also expecting that lightsaber use will be a force power.

I bet characters from Force and Destiny will be perfectly compatible as well.  I don't buy into the idea being that your starting character will be 100+ years old.  I'll wager that you'll probably create a character with around 100xp to spend and you'll have access to the same skills and your own talent trees which will probably start out costing you around 5xp per talent.

Also I predict that Lightsabers will have none of the whining and complaining that Auto Fire weapons get right now.

Edited by CrunchyDemon