Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr W00

Curious why only 4 dice were included?

12 posts in this topic

I am loving the game so far. But I have encountered many situations during battles that more than 4 dice were needed to complete the fight. We obviously re roll some of the dice to get the remaining results, but it slows down the flow of the game. I am just curious why more dice weren't included? I can't imagine the profit margin would have been ruined adding 2 or 3 more dice. And are spare dice going to be offered for sale?

Perhaps FFG is going to release a second starter box with two other factions and other accessories including dice so that it is a stand-alone product instead of an expansion to this base game.  (Pure speculation and I am dreaming)

Julia likes this

I hope for a dice booster but for now rerolling dice doesnt really impact my game flow at least not by more than 3 or 4 seconds. LOL.

I agree with you but to have included...like 2 more dice wouldn't have bankrupt FFG and would have made all buyers a bit more happy.

Game is great anyways but more dice would've been great!

I agree, I love the game but they went cheap on us with those dices. An extra Dice or two wouldn't have cost them much. At least you know that a dice pack is coming!

For my first few games, I was fine with 4 dice, but the more I play, the more annoying it is. I mean, usually when you need to roll 6 dice, most of the first roll have no effect, but yesterday I had a roll where every die did something and trying to keep track of it all took more effort than I wanted to expend. Is it doable? Sure. Would I prefer more dice? Yes.

And there are the dice packs. Predictions correct. 12 dice will be much smoother to use. Its a shame there were only 4 in the base game. It was no where near enough.

I just got my dice pack in December and it's been seeing more play lately. It's so nice having 6 dice per player. Honestly, though, most of the time we each have 2 dice on the side that never get rolled. But having lots of dice is a luxury I'm starting to appreciate.

Edited by Budgernaut

Yes, but it's not as simple as "skimp on dice = sell more dice packs." Dice packs aren't the only way to get extra dice. You can also get them from an extra core set. By keeping the dice pool small, a second core set becomes a more appealing value to a player considering getting more troops. Then they also have the option of releasing the dice pack for those not interested in a second core or who still want more than 8 dice provided by 2 cores.

Had they put more dice in the core set, extra core copies would provide unused excess dice.

Of course, I think this was a greater impact in X-Wing where the dice pack is a greater percentage of the cost of a core, but the principle applies here as well, I believe.

Julia likes this