Sign in to follow this  
CrookedWookie

Best purchase ever

I showed some pics of these in another thread, but aside from just the really sharp finish and the custom font that AP did for me, I had a special request that has turned out to be even more useful than I expected.  I ordered two sets of range rulers; one regular, one cut into range 1 and range 1-2 length (although to make them exact he cuts them special and doesn't just cut an existing range ruler, which would leave them just a little short)...

The range 1 ruler is absolutely amazing, because it's so much easier to check if something is range 1 or not with a ruler that is 1/3 the length of the regular one.  Maneuvering that beast down around the bases without knocking everything over can be a nightmare.  And the fact it's cut to exactly range 1 means it's pretty idiot-proof figuring out if it is, in fact, within range 1 or not.   :lol:

I didn't even really think about it when I ordered it, but the range 2 one has been great for setting up asteroids.  Someone places one, we just pop out the range 2 ruler and if necessary use it to push the template until it's 2 away from the edge of the map.  And the range 1 has been handy for setting up ships.  It's not as critical to have when setting up, compared to checking range in a big furball, but it's still nice to have.

I think any future sets of templates I get, I'm going to have to get the second range ruler set in range 1 and range 2, because once you have them, you use them so much you wonder how you ever got by with only one range ruler.   ;)

Newtemplatesrange_zps71acd413.jpg

Nice, but probably not necessary for the purpose (other than looking very shiny).

At the end of the day, X-Wing uses a very simple metric range system.

Range 1 is 10cm

Range 2 is 20cm

Range 3 is 30cm

Small ship bases are 4cm (hence five of them make Range 2)

Large ship bases are 8cm.

Get a tape measure and you'll never need to fiddle wth all those sticks again.

CW is right, this is very helpful, why playing around with a tape measure when you can have the range ruler 1 and check really fast...

Great idea, I will have mine made with that in mind too, thanks. I don't think R2 is really necessary thought.

Nice, but probably not necessary for the purpose (other than looking very shiny).

At the end of the day, X-Wing uses a very simple metric range system.

Range 1 is 10cm

Range 2 is 20cm

Range 3 is 30cm

Small ship bases are 4cm (hence five of them make Range 2)

Large ship bases are 8cm.

Get a tape measure and you'll never need to fiddle wth all those sticks again.

thanks for the info. As a machinist I cannot believe that I had not checked this yet.

Nice to see that in the Star Wars universe not only do most speak "Basic", but they also use the metric system.

Also, since the "Move 5" template is identical to range 2 (20cm or equal to 5 small-ship-bases), you could just use that one as a "range 2 ruler" like the one shown above.

No easy substitute for the "range 1 ruler" though, I admit, which would correspond to a 2 1/2 move template.

Sorry didn't think to check my own thread.   :lol:

I think it was like $10 for the second range ruler, which is what he charges for a single ruler, since they end up using the exact same amount of material in the end.  Note that the $10 is for one of the fancy mirrored finishes and I think costs a bit more than some of the less blingy acrylic options.

And hey - if you want to go old school measuring tape, knock yourself out.  Not sure if that's tournament legal, but I just found myself in a number of games thinking "man, it would be nice if I had just a range 1 ruler for checking when something is close without banging all the minis trying to wedge a 30cm ruler in close."  And then I figured "well, if I'm having some templates made, why CAN'T I do that?"  So then it just made sense to get a range 1-2 ruler while I was at it, since it was going to be the same cost as buying a single range ruler.

So look - I'm not advocating any specific company - I think Litko is now selling range ruler 'sets' as well.  If you can cut your own down to exactly 10cm, knock yourself out.  I'm not saying they're absolutely necessary or a critical piece of X-Wing kit.  All I'm saying is that when I thought of it, I wondered why I hadn't thought of it before, and now it's hard to imagine NOT having them.  

I use both the range 1 and range 1-2 rulers multiple times a game.  The 1-2 most often when setting up asteroids - place the end against an asteroid, slide it until the end of the ruler is touching the edge of the map, voila - it's now a legal placement.  The range 1 I use all the time.  Both in setting up my ships, and checking range for shots in close.  It's so handy that both my wife and my buddy I play with most frequently will ask me to check if something is at range 1 if it's in question, because they'd rather have me grab the range 1 ruler than try to measure it themselves with the full size version.  

I am simply saying to those of you that are interested in such a thing, that I personally cannot recommend them highly enough, however you manage them.  I find them to be invaluable.

The range 1 and range 2 templates are absolutely the best third party purchase that you can make, in my opinion. Everything else is really just aesthetics, but these are functionally EXTREMELY helpful.

I bought 2 sets (mirrored blue and mirrored red) of the custom range 1 & 2 range rulers, range 3 ruler, and movement templates. In my case, Adam charged me the same for the range 1 and range 2 ruler (combined) as a single range 3 ruler. It technically uses slightly more material for a range 1 + 2 ruler than it does for just a range 3 ruler, since you lose some material in the cut between them. So he needs a piece that's slightly longer than the range 3 ruler to start with, for range 1 and 2 to be true. In my case I requested to get a perfect range 1 and 2, and pay additional if needed (which I didn't). Here are some questions that I sent him, along with his responses.

Hi, I am interested in a few of your items for X-Wing and had some customization questions.

1) Can I get the Space Fighter Move Templates without the hash marks on the straight pieces?

2) Do you make range rulers that are only range 1 and range 2? Measuring range 3 when it is a close call is sometimes very easy, because you can just see if the ruler physically fits between the two ships. It would be nice to be able to do this at range 1 and range 2 as well, rather than having to compare to a hash mark.

1) I can make those. It does require a small customization charge since I need to go in and change the files on the computer though.

2) I've been asked a couple times to do that, and the short answer is yes, I can make that. The challenge comes in that the standard 30cm ruler uses the full height of my sheet material. Since the laser has a kerf, if I cut one in the middle, the two resulting sections may not be the full length they should be. I can of course cut them side by side, but that uses twice as much material  and costs twice as much. Some of my sheets are slightly longer than the others and should be able to accommodate both at full length. If you wanted one of those colors (not sure which ones off the top of my head) then I can make you a set without difficulty.

Edited by MajorJuggler

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I've seen a couple posts about this very topic. I just ordered a pair of range sticks from LITKO Game Accessories and it turned out that they just (probably within the past week) marketed these new range sticks that are segmented like these posts are discussing. I'm a little bummed out simply because the timing of the whole thing, but I don't mind having extra parts too, because I fully intend on getting a set of the segmented rulers.

Edited by QuinnCee

I showed some pics of these in another thread, but aside from just the really sharp finish and the custom font that AP did for me, I had a special request that has turned out to be even more useful than I expected.  I ordered two sets of range rulers; one regular, one cut into range 1 and range 1-2 length (although to make them exact he cuts them special and doesn't just cut an existing range ruler, which would leave them just a little short)...

The range 1 ruler is absolutely amazing, because it's so much easier to check if something is range 1 or not with a ruler that is 1/3 the length of the regular one.  Maneuvering that beast down around the bases without knocking everything over can be a nightmare.  And the fact it's cut to exactly range 1 means it's pretty idiot-proof figuring out if it is, in fact, within range 1 or not.   :lol:

I didn't even really think about it when I ordered it, but the range 2 one has been great for setting up asteroids.  Someone places one, we just pop out the range 2 ruler and if necessary use it to push the template until it's 2 away from the edge of the map.  And the range 1 has been handy for setting up ships.  It's not as critical to have when setting up, compared to checking range in a big furball, but it's still nice to have.

I think any future sets of templates I get, I'm going to have to get the second range ruler set in range 1 and range 2, because once you have them, you use them so much you wonder how you ever got by with only one range ruler.   ;)

Newtemplatesrange_zps71acd413.jpg

Brilliant!

Going to get third Starter just to cut down a couple range rulers.

P.S. girl friend just face palmed  :P

There's some seriously sexy product being showcased in this thread. For Cog'O'Two, what does "supplied unpainted" mean? Do the acrylic pieces not come as shown in the pictures?

They gave them a wash just to make it easier to see the token symbols in the photo

This is how they look without it (Well without the notches as this is something new I've been working on)

Notched-Rulers.jpg

Edited by Rodent Mastermind

To be honest I was going with a industrial feel, paneling, gears, bolts. One of the things that is really Star Wars for me is that decaying industrial feel everything has. Font-wise all the fonts are Star Wars inspired the TL are in Aurabesh, and thing like the proton trails and symbols on the rulers are very much Star Wars-ey. And well in fluorescent green and orange they don't look particularly steampunk.

So yeah they have gears, but mainly as a reference to the insides on the outside look of ships like the Falcon (and also because they work quite well as line art), rather than to be overtly Steampunk.. and the fact that they fit nicely with a Cog'O'Two is really a coincidence, I had designed the first batch and needed someone to print them and I approached them because the owner is a mate.

But aesthetics is all in the eye of the beholder, at least they done have LIKTO logo printed on them :)

It looks like they make some high quality stuff.
I'm just not sure I personally dig the steampunk aesthetic for my Star Wars templates and tokens.

Edited by Rodent Mastermind