Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INtheShadowplay

Release dates for Echos of the Force?

42 posts in this topic

I noticed that they don't have release dates listed for any of the upcoming packs. Is there anywhere that I can find this info? Keeping release dates vague is a creeping death for the life of any new-ish card game.

I noticed that they don't have release dates listed for any of the upcoming packs. Is there anywhere that I can find this info? Keeping release dates vague is a creeping death for the life of any new-ish card game.

The upcoming page lists Feb 2014 for the first force pack.

INtheShadowplay likes this

It would be cool to have an actual date, though. Like, "BAM. February 20th. Can't wait!"

It would be cool to have an actual date, though. Like, "BAM. February 20th. Can't wait!"

That, unfortunately, you will never get from FFG.  They don't quite have the supply chain/distribution system that is required for a coordinated release date.  What actually happens is that they ship things out to stores/distributors as soon as they get it from the printers.  The end result is that some places will get product on shelves a little earlier than others.

In general though, I agree that FFG needs to work a little on avoiding all of these delays (the product was originally expected January).  I don't know much about their other games, but both this game and X-Wing have had some issues with release dates and lots of delays.

I wonder if it's because of issues with approval for art/flavor text/etc.  FFG is probably the low man on the totem pole when it comes to that sort of thing on Lucas/Disney's end.

Get used to it. And actually things have improved in the 4+ years I have been collecting LCGs. Although Netrunner threw some serious kinks in the works because of its sheer popularity when it first came out.

Be patient. There are plenty of cards out right now. The best cure is play multiple card games.

I guess I could, but I actually can't find any player groups in San Diego for any LCG's, period. It's not a small city, we have tons of gaming stores and absolutely no one is playing them. Doesn't seem to be too much company support for the products beyond selling it. Adding delays/vagueness of releases on top of extremely limited company involvement dedicated to growing their own games is not a good combo for keeping a game alive. It sucks because I love the game mechanics and the Star Wars universe, it's pretty frustrating.

Edited by INtheShadowplay

Step up and create your own tournament scene. The force will be with you

Always

Yea, that's what a marketing department is for. You can't just tell the player "No one to play with? That's your fault for not demoing our game in your area". It's just poor product support and a poor business strategy. Yea, I could go out and basically do their job for them... or I could just pop back into Magic where there's tons of players due to company support for the product. I guarantee the latter is going to happen for most players that look into this game. The game is great but the lack of FFG doing anything beyond selling it (not to mention delays galore) is going to be the death of it.

It's a one month delay. Still plenty of cards to play with. And that is what keeps magic going. The players. Same way it started. A company can only do so much and cannot be in every store.

It's a one month delay. Still plenty of cards to play with. And that is what keeps magic going. The players. Same way it started. A company can only do so much and cannot be in every store.

"fourth quarter 2013"

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4358

"February 2014"

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_upcoming.asp

Even IF you look at December as fourth quarter, that's a two month delay.  

Always

Yea, that's what a marketing department is for. You can't just tell the player "No one to play with? That's your fault for not demoing our game in your area". It's just poor product support and a poor business strategy. Yea, I could go out and basically do their job for them... or I could just pop back into Magic where there's tons of players due to company support for the product. I guarantee the latter is going to happen for most players that look into this game. The game is great but the lack of FFG doing anything beyond selling it (not to mention delays galore) is going to be the death of it.

While I'd love to see FFG do more, the reality is no that won't be the death of anything.  FFG has taken this approach with other successful games (LCGs).  The reality is this game is not directly marketed to those that could/would go play Magic instead, it's model is aimed towards Magic refugees  or people that would never consider Magic anyway.

Zordren likes this

Fine two months. Not end of the world.

The delays were originally what this post was about, then someone suggested I play multiple LCG's. I responded with "Well, I would but no one's playing any of them in my area". That's how the topic became the lack of support for the product and virtually no effort to grow their game/build a community.

Always

While I'd love to see FFG do more, the reality is no that won't be the death of anything.  FFG has taken this approach with other successful games (LCGs).  The reality is this game is not directly marketed to those that could/would go play Magic instead, it's model is aimed towards Magic refugees  or people that would never consider Magic anyway.

It's not directly marketed at all. To anyone. Making sets easy to collect and light on the wallet is a great concept that I love, but I'm willing to bet that the most Star Wars playing that people actually get to do is via OCTGN and not at their local gaming shops. Yea, some of the LCG's are popular (Netrunner, anyone?), but not this one. In fact, the most games of Star Wars LCG I've seen going on OCTGN at once was 2. This one is not doing well. So when a player cannot find anyone to play the game with face to face, he's going to quit buying the expansions and start downloading them instead. Then Star Wars is over. You can turn your nose up at it and say "Well, the other one's are doing good" all day, but the reality is that we're not talking about the other ones.

I sure don't. I play games like this because it gets me out of my shell and gives me an opportunity to socialize with people offline. OCTGN is good for playtesting, but that's about it. YMMV

Star Wars is not dying because you can't find players or don't see a bunch of games on OCTGN. Plenty of people don't play on OCTGN at all.

I'm not saying the game is dying because *I* can't find players. I'm saying the future doesn't look good because a lot of people can't find players... because not many people are playing. How do you not get that that is not good for a game's future? Low player base = low sales = time to discontinue SWLCG. I found two guys who USED to play Star Wars in my city, there used to be a tournament group here. Everyone lost interest and there is no longer enough players to sustain a tournament community. So.... there were people who were into the game and supporting the game, then there weren't. No more sales for FFG from this group. Hm, not good, right? I'll bet these boards used to be a lot more lively than they currently are too. Saying "It's not dying because I said so and don't want it to" doesn't make it so. I don't want to the game to die. I'm relatively new to it and love the game mechanics and Star Wars itself, but it doesn't take a degree in business to know that the product is not being handled well.

I sure don't. I play games like this because it gets me out of my shell and gives me an opportunity to socialize with people offline. OCTGN is good for playtesting, but that's about it. YMMV

OCTGN is literally the only way I can play most of the time.

Don't know why everyone is trying to take this sideways. My point is that lack of company support and chronic delays are not good business and will have negative impacts on the game and community. I honestly don't know how or why you would argue that.

That's unfortunate for your area. Here Netrunner has died.

You are sayng the sky is falling. Not all of us agree with you.

What support do you need ? They provide product regular tournament kits store championships regionals etc. all equivalent to plenty of other card games. All the prize support in the world cannot make a play group. That requires work and dedication from certain types of players.

That's unfortunate for your area. Here Netrunner has died.

You are sayng the sky is falling. Not all of us agree with you.

What support do you need ? They provide product regular tournament kits store championships regionals etc. all equivalent to plenty of other card games. All the prize support in the world cannot make a play group. That requires work and dedication from certain types of players.

The sky isn't falling, but it is poor business practice which, once again, will have negative impact on the game and community. Sideways all day in this thread. It's just common sense. As far as work and dedication... seriously? You want the player's experience to be picking up slack for a company that they gave their money to? Games shouldn't be a chore, that's ridiculous. I will address how you can make that last part work below, without expecting the average player to be FFG's complimentary marketing department.

Here's just some stuff off the top of my head that would help. Guess what... they're all no-brainers.

1) Sending out demo kits to gaming stores with freebie intro demo decks for anyone who gives the game a shot during the demo. Blah blah blah small company doesn't have the money. Whatever, spend money to make money. More players get their hands on the game and see how fun it is, more players are buying expansions. (See #5 for who should be putting on these demos.)

2) Offer retailers the option to return any product they don't sell after a certain period of time. This is the retailers thought: "Only gonna buy one of these, don't want to be stuck with a bunch because I don't know if the product will move or not". Now the retailers will want to order more and be more willing to push the game because there's a safety net for them. Now instead of ordering 1 of each set and shrugging their shoulders to customers when their only Core Set sells out, they have more stock to hand out to new players. 

3) Having stuff hit the shelves on time is a great way to keep your players from being burnt out. It's also just plain and simple good business practice. Say what you mean and mean what you say. A delay here or there is inevitable, we all get that. When it becomes something your product is known for? Not. Good.

4) Having regional tournaments that don't require players driving across state lines to participate. Hey, drive 7 hours to play in a regional of 20 people! Sounds great! This leads into #5. 

5) In the days of Decipher's Star Wars CCG, Decipher had Rogue Squadron. Rogue Squadron was made up of players in major cities all throughout the world, who ran tournaments and were kicked down a massive amount of prize support from the company to keep players coming back to the tourneys (they didn't have to pay for it, Decipher realized that the players were already giving them money to play the game). THIS IS SOMETHING THAT FFG NEEDS TO EMULATE ASAP. Decipher was focused on keeping the players happy and not losing them. This was key to making sure their game grew. Heck, they even had a TV commercial (so did Magic). Not saying they should do a commercial (not really as effective these days) , but they definitely need to step up their online marketing. I'm a huge Star Wars/card game dork and basically stumbled upon the game by chance. I had no clue of it's existence until I googled "Star Wars CCG" for kicks. These people should also be rewarded for their efforts of keeping the game going, maybe comp a motel room for them for their trip out to Worlds (after all, they're dedicating their free time throughout the year helping your game and most likely paying for a plane ticket both ways just to come and play) or kick them down special playmats or game-related trinkets throughout the year. Just something to show appreciation for their efforts on behalf of the company and game. Doesn't have to be huge, just something.

6) Offer some kind of reward for pre-orders. Maybe an alternate art affiliation card, a Death Star II dial, whatever. This can be a cool little silver lining, especially if what I'm pre-ordering for February doesn't show up until April. Blah blah blah small company not enough money. Cool perks keep players happy and keeps them buying your stuff for the long run.

Edited by INtheShadowplay
videinfra, JMCB and Zordren like this