Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maelora

What will 'Force & Destiny' look like?

566 posts in this topic

Is FaD considered officially 'released' yet?  Or do we have to wait for it to start shipping before I can start talking?  D:

Yes its released, so you can tell everyone about your sith murderbot now. 

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce my Zabrak Sith Assassin, Vramo.

Or, as I like to affectionately refer to him as, Darth **** That Guy.

[Atrocities truncated.]

My thoughts on how Force and Destiny came out?  Anyone who complains about it deserves to be forced to go toe-to-toe with Darth **** That Guy.

EDIT: Before any of my group jumps in, yes DFTG had help during these two missions, but the bulk of the kill strokes belong to me, so my point still stands.   :D

So I'm guessing your assignment was to create a Dark side character? Or was that personal initiative on your part?

Playtesters aren't generally allowed to talk about the playtesting process, even after the product has been released. He might not be allowed to go into detail.

Doc likes this

Is FaD considered officially 'released' yet?  Or do we have to wait for it to start shipping before I can start talking?  D:

Yes its released, so you can tell everyone about your sith murderbot now. 

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce my Zabrak Sith Assassin, Vramo.

Or, as I like to affectionately refer to him as, Darth **** That Guy.

[Atrocities truncated.]

My thoughts on how Force and Destiny came out?  Anyone who complains about it deserves to be forced to go toe-to-toe with Darth **** That Guy.

EDIT: Before any of my group jumps in, yes DFTG had help during these two missions, but the bulk of the kill strokes belong to me, so my point still stands.   :D

So I'm guessing your assignment was to create a Dark side character? Or was that personal initiative on your part?

Playtesters aren't generally allowed to talk about the playtesting process, even after the product has been released. He might not be allowed to go into detail.

We wanted to play a Clone Wars era game.  And since we needed to test everything, we decided to take that opportunity to test being the bad guys.

The funny part is that, though we all typically end up playing Neutral bordering Evil characters all the time, my group was kind of on edge at the sight of DFTG's atrocities.

I admit to having used the accursed Alpha Test that was leaked, but since I'm going to buy the Beta anyways, I see it as an early looksy at what I'm buying. A mix of pictures for the species (I refuse to look up Mirialans on Google Images), my love of books I can hold, and my hate of PDF books commands I buy the book in the future, so there's nothing to worry about in terms of me merely freeloading on the PDF. I just hate paying money so I can pay more money and then leave, and then possibly not be able to pay the money the second time, meaning I'll be standing in crowded lines for no reason. Instead, I'll just be annoyed with PDF files until I can purchase the actual book.

I admit to having used the accursed Alpha Test that was leaked

If you are going to buy the Beta, awesome.  Buy the official version when it comes out, even better.

But using an illegally distributed copy of the Alpha isn't right in any case.

You could have taken the proper avenues and signed up as an Alpha tester awhile ago; gotten a legit copy.  And then you would have gotten the updates that the testers got that allowed them to sort through some of the holes sent in the Alpha copy.

Further, there are differences (minor and major) between the different versions that can actually break a game.  Some of the Talents were over or under powered heavily and actually made the rest of the game feel cheap.  And some other things were included that have been removed perhaps because FFG intends to use it in later products.

In any case, setting aside the legalities, we had to sign NDA's to not discuss the intellectual properties that did not make it into the public versions.  Focusing very specifically on the intellectual properties, leaks like this that show a potentially broken product can actually kill sales.  Even with a solid version established, sales can still dwindle because the product has been made available for free.

You are the exception, like myself.  I hate working with PDFs.  I can barely tolerate reading a book on my phone.  I like having a real copy of the corebook, and intend to buy one once the official version is released.

Most people don't care.  It's free.  And someone who worked their ass off to present to them a truly worthwhile project is losing money.

Doc likes this

I've also got my hands on the leaked playtest and even though I enjoy being able to read through some stuff i feel it to be disloyal. The act of leaking a playtest is a disloyal act from a select playtester that puts all playtesters in bad reputation.

Though, living in Sweden, I'll have to wait a while before getting my hands on the real book, and F&D will definitely be a no brainer to buy. For once, I'll actually buy both the Beta as soon it comes out to public, and also ofc the CRB next year.

Already started planning a Jedi-campaign set before the clone wars that will go into the imperial era.

Serif Marak likes this

I admit to having used the accursed Alpha Test that was leaked

If you are going to buy the Beta, awesome.  Buy the official version when it comes out, even better.

But using an illegally distributed copy of the Alpha isn't right in any case.

You could have taken the proper avenues and signed up as an Alpha tester awhile ago; gotten a legit copy.  And then you would have gotten the updates that the testers got that allowed them to sort through some of the holes sent in the Alpha copy.

Further, there are differences (minor and major) between the different versions that can actually break a game.  Some of the Talents were over or under powered heavily and actually made the rest of the game feel cheap.  And some other things were included that have been removed perhaps because FFG intends to use it in later products.

In any case, setting aside the legalities, we had to sign NDA's to not discuss the intellectual properties that did not make it into the public versions.  Focusing very specifically on the intellectual properties, leaks like this that show a potentially broken product can actually kill sales.  Even with a solid version established, sales can still dwindle because the product has been made available for free.

You are the exception, like myself.  I hate working with PDFs.  I can barely tolerate reading a book on my phone.  I like having a real copy of the corebook, and intend to buy one once the official version is released.

Most people don't care.  It's free.  And someone who worked their ass off to present to them a truly worthwhile project is losing money.

Agreed. Like I said, I only plan to use it for now until the time comes when the real book is available for purchase. In fact, I plan to purchase every FFG Star Wars RPG book made. I even plan on purchasing the old EotE Beta off of Amazon, just for collecting. I understand that pirating books can kill a business in multiple ways. I always say that even if I could get it for free through technically legal means, I'd still rather pay for the product to support the company (or to get an actual book; darn you, PDFs!).

I think that only people who plan to buy the Beta, regardless of whether or not they like the stuff in the PDF or would prefer the PDF, should download the PDF file. Even then, I don't suggest it, since it's just not right. The only reason I downloaded the PDF was because my use would not hurt the company as I will still buy the Beta, and then the CRB and all the supplements, and I was REALLY wanting to see how it would turn out (I wanted to check stuff like how many Careers and Force Powers there were). I admit, it may not be the best thing in the world that I use the PDF, but with the finishing of our last campaign, and an idea already stirring for a Force campaign, I couldn't resist the urge to read through the book as a whole.

I do not, however, support freeloading off of a leaked PDF that, as you said, could hurt the business due to it being technically unfinished. Also, if I had known that signing onto an Alpha test team was possible, I'd have signed on in a heartbeat. I'd assumed that it was exclusive to FFG staff, and that you and the others you referred to we're also Forum Members (a few others have posted that they have helped on some books, like KRKappel), not that you were non-FFG people who were allowed to test.

Also (and this doesn't entirely justify downloading he PDF, but is notable), by having the Beta for longer, my group has more time to help work out the kinks. I've already come up with a few ideas and noticed a few discrepancies.

Sorry if this derrailed anything: I just prefer to explain myself than let people lead on to false conclusions.

Serif Marak likes this

Okay, I found this because I was looking for the glorious 50 page ErikB thread, but this one was actually comment worthy. . . .

Erik, nobody is saying 'F&D shouldn't have Jedi in it'. 

You are probably going to find that the F&D forum will be filled with a perpetual flamewar between people who want Jedi to be invincible sword princesses (because that is what they want to play), and people who want Jedi to be as crap as possible, because they don't want to have to put up with being in the same game with people playing invincible sword princesses. 

I hope to stay out of it this time, and also hopefully the people who don't want to have to play in games with ISPs will realize they can simply by avoiding having anything to do with F&D.

--

I think the characters in F&D will be newbie force users in the Galactic civil war era. Something like the Heroes TV show where characters discover they have powerz and band together to explore said potential, or like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles where they are force sensitives trained in secret by an old Jedi.

So here we are, a year after F&D dropped (more or less) with lots of Hindsight to look over the mechanic. Shockingly, FFG did a really good job of balancing the power balance between Awesome Jedi and Terrible Jedi.

I just wrapped up a game with two of them (I had Force Sensitive Exile with none of the tree purchased and 10 points in move, so my character doesn't count) and at no time did I ever feel overshadowed or shoved out of the spotlight. Mind you, she was terrible at combat, but that was a personal choice of mine. I focused on other support character areas and let the Marauder and Jedi do the heavy lifting when the blasters came out.

Now, our brand new game that we started a couple of weeks ago? That will be the real test, to see if my lone non-force sensitive in any way Technician can keep pace with the three Jedi of the group. I'll report back in sometime mid 2017 and tell you the results. . . .

Edited by Desslok
2P51, Maelora, whafrog and 2 others like this

While I have little historical background in the game, my recent experiences have more or less agreed with Desslok's. I've found the Force Sensitive Exile's Talents *slightly* worse than average compared to some F&D Specializations, but that's mostly because it's a very general tree, compared to the more focused ones in the F&D specializations (and I like a few F&D specializations a *lot*, in comparison).

But thumbs up from me! I'd say it was a success in design.

Edited by GreyMatter
2P51 likes this

I think the characters in F&D will be newbie force users in the Galactic civil war era. Something like the Heroes TV show where characters discover they have powerz and band together to explore said potential, or like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles where they are force sensitives trained in secret by an old Jedi.

To give credit where credit is due, he was more or less right about this part.

Desslok, whafrog, 2P51 and 3 others like this

That was the only ErikB post I clicked on 'Like'.

Edited by Maelora

Words I never thought I'd see uttered, that ErikB was correct on something.

bradknowles and Desslok like this

Also don't wake up the beast!

He changed forum handles a while ago, and finally jumped ship when it became 100% clear that FaD wasn't going to fuel his power-gaming **** fantasies.