Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maelora

What will 'Force & Destiny' look like?

566 posts in this topic

You will be able to play Jedi in an EotE game. That is what FFG is aiming for with their three games. You are the only who wants a "special snowflake", Erik.

Maelora likes this

I don't see any real basis or concern with Jedi being overpowered.  In any of the visual media anyway.  The books get OTT at times but the movies and cartoons portray Jedi as very powerful and very fallible.  

That being said I'm curious why those that immediately pounce and point out that F&D need not or will not have anything to do with the next movies hold that view?  Concern the new movies won't be good?  In regards to what FFG has said before the simple fact is the IP was sold, so anything they may have said before or any plans they had are all subject to review and amendment.  From a business perspective I see little reason to not wait to launch a major game addition that coincides and dovetails into the new canon about to be created.  

Fire away, I've taken cover........

not one that makes the Han Solo's and Wedge Antilles types redundant. 

Shrug. You want to play Han Solo find an Edge of the Empire game. You want to play Wedge Antilles, find an Age of Rebellion game. You want to play Obi-Wan Kenobi, find a Force and Destiny game.

Everyone will be a lot happier that way.

Edited by ErikB
Josep Maria likes this

Personally I'll be ignoring the new movies regardless, but that's neither here nor there.

As far as I can tell, FFG intended all 3 versions of the game to be set in the time period most SW fans are familiar with - that of the original movies. They do seem to incorporate  prequel and EU stuff in small doses, but the focus is on the 'Classic' era.  I haven't heard anything to say that all the games will be drastically retconned to incorporate whatever Disney to the franchise.

If - as Donovan suggested - they one day release one-off splatbooks to cover other eras (say, new movies, Legacy, prequels, Old Republic) I wouldn't see that as a bad thing either.

Glorious Chief likes this

You want to play Han Solo find an Edge of the Empire game. You want to play Wedge Antilles, find an Age of Rebellion game. You want to play Obi-Wan Kenobi, find a Force and Destiny game.

Everyone will be a lot happier that way.

Apart from the fact that FFG have made it clear that is NOT their intention.   They have always stated that the books are not intended to cover 'levels of power'  but different themes and styles of adventure in the Classic SW era. 

And considering that in previous games, Jedi HAVE proved game-breaking, one can see why they are being left until last this time, so that they can (hopefully) be done right.

As a side-note, FFG have picked up quite a bit of flak because their WH40K games are not compatible.  You can't play an Inquisitor and Imperial Guard and Rogue Trader and Space Marine together, even though they are part of a shared world. 

I get the feeling FFG wish to avoid that situation here. 

exseraph and Desslok like this

Personally I'll be ignoring the new movies regardless, but that's neither here nor there.

As far as I can tell, FFG intended all 3 versions of the game to be set in the time period most SW fans are familiar with - that of the original movies. They do seem to incorporate  prequel and EU stuff in small doses, but the focus is on the 'Classic' era.  I haven't heard anything to say that all the games will be drastically retconned to incorporate whatever Disney to the franchise.

If - as Donovan suggested - they one day release one-off splatbooks to cover other eras (say, new movies, Legacy, prequels, Old Republic) I wouldn't see that as a bad thing either.

You understand though they didn't print a word that wasn't green lit by LucasFilm beforehand correct?

And Force & Destiny certainly doesn't need to be bound to the upcoming movies, especially if it's set during the Rebellion Era, which all indications suggest is going to be the case, as EotE and AoR are both set in that era, and F&D is meant to work in full tandem with those two books.  If the new movies are dealt with at all in the product line, it can be as a supplement, same as if they choice to branch out into the KOTOR/SWTOR, Clone Wars, or Legacy eras.

I don't think there's much room for character development if they just stick to the Rebellion era with F&D.  This is supposedly the tome that will bring us full-fledged Jedi, so if they don't go with the future movies they're going to have to reference pre-Imperial times (and hopefully TCW).

And Force & Destiny certainly doesn't need to be bound to the upcoming movies, especially if it's set during the Rebellion Era, which all indications suggest is going to be the case, as EotE and AoR are both set in that era, and F&D is meant to work in full tandem with those two books.  If the new movies are dealt with at all in the product line, it can be as a supplement, same as if they choice to branch out into the KOTOR/SWTOR, Clone Wars, or Legacy eras.

I don't think there's much room for character development if they just stick to the Rebellion era with F&D.  This is supposedly the tome that will bring us full-fledged Jedi, so if they don't go with the future movies they're going to have to reference pre-Imperial times (and hopefully TCW).

See this is where I get stuck.  I just don't how you get to full fledged Jedi if you don'y get past Battle of Endor narratively or mechanically.  Luke is the A game for the Jedi up to that point to me F&D without getting into what comes next is just AoR with some talent trees.

I just don't how you get to full fledged Jedi if you don'y get past Battle of Endor narratively or mechanically.

Did you play The Force Unleashed? And the new Rebels show will include Jedi action in period.

If you are not precious about it there is a lot to work with.

And if you are precious about it, well then stick to Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion and your eyes will never be sullied by seeing a lightsaber!

Edited by ErikB

I just don't how you get to full fledged Jedi if you don'y get past Battle of Endor narratively or mechanically.

Did you play The Force Unleashed? And the new Rebels show will include Jedi action in period.

If you are not precious about it there is a lot to work with.

And if you are precious about it, well then stick to Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion and your eyes will never be sullied by seeing a lightsaber!

I don't feed trolls.

bladerunner_35 likes this

If you have ever wondered why the Empires other force users like the Inquisitors and The Emperors Shadow Guard and Vader's Secret Apprentices and The Emperor's Hands never got involved in the whole Luke/Vader/Emperor thing, it is clearly because they were too busy taking part in a campaign finale battle royale with Your F&D PCs somewhere else!

Dark_Side_Apprentice.jpg

Star-Wars-Rebels-Inquisitor_zpse89d89ff.

star_wars_the_force_unleashed.jpg

star_wars_rebels_lumiya_by_engelha5t-d6d

Edited by ErikB
derroehre likes this

I am really hoping for a spiritual angle for F&D. Everyone goes gaga over the lightsaber and the force powers, but for me it's the shamanistic wholeness of self and galaxy. The more the story focuses on that the better it will be for me.

Agreed.  I don't really want a mechanic for counting "dark side points", but I do want some way to be able to say "you know, you want to play a Jedi, but that's not a very Jedi thing to do".

I am really hoping for a spiritual angle for F&D. Everyone goes gaga over the lightsaber and the force powers, but for me it's the shamanistic wholeness of self and galaxy. The more the story focuses on that the better it will be for me.

Agreed.  I don't really want a mechanic for counting "dark side points", but I do want some way to be able to say "you know, you want to play a Jedi, but that's not a very Jedi thing to do".

I would like that as long as it was a loose interpretation. Too may time have I come to conflict with GM's and players because of differing options of what the force was.

I was referring to a narrative concept that encouraged you to bring places alive with the force using feelings and emotions to describe the scene.

whafrog and Maelora like this

Lightbulb! What if the obligation system for F&D (assuming its force based) allows you to pick your slice of the force to work on. Knowledge for example would be about recovering knowledge and sharing it and thus hoarding or destroying knowledge would be a shift to the dark side. This makes each characters struggle with the dark side different and personal.

exseraph likes this

I was referring to a narrative concept that encouraged you to bring places alive with the force using feelings and emotions to describe the scene.

Combining badass fight scenes with a sense of mysticism is kinda the whole MO of martial arts movies.

Edited by ErikB

One insight that may be useful is the recent publications of the Jedi and Sith books by Lucasbooks outside of FFG. I've not got my hands on them yet, but I will soon, as they provide "canonical" insights into the force from the Jedi and Sith points of view, complete with margin-note commentary from the perspective of Luke Skywalker, Yoda, Darth Sidious and others. Even a cursory read of this gives plenty of ideas as to how Force-users may work in F&D. Remember, the game will be called Force & Destiny, not "the Jedi Sourcebook." Jedi are simply one (formerly largish) order of force users amongst a huge Galaxy. In a time where the Jedi have been hunted down, force-sensitives are presumably still born at the same rate as they were before.

In that regard, we are very likely to see a wider choice than simply making Jedi (or even Sith) characters.

I would like it to cover the period just after Episode VI and maybe up to I, Corran Horn or thereabouts, when force users are starting to emerge in greater numbers (so-to-speak) and the academy was beginning to be reestablished.

And as Agatheron mentioned, one could use the Sith and Jedi books as supplements up until if or when FFG covers the fluffier side of the force. And isn't there that Jedi compendium or whatever that was recently published?

Maelora likes this

And to think I took ErikB off ignore because he seemed to be doing so much better lately.... Who naive was I?

Oh well, that was easily fixed.

I actually think FFG has their work cut out for them with F&D. It seems that they will either have to delve way deeper into the EU or get onboard what the future movies will bring just sticking to the OT won't be sufficient I guess.

rickayelm, Maelora and Desslok like this

I would like it to cover the period just after Episode VI and maybe up to I, Corran Horn or thereabouts

FFG probably can't touch anything after Endor till the new movies are out.

Josep Maria likes this

One insight that may be useful is the recent publications of the Jedi and Sith books by Lucasbooks outside of FFG. I've not got my hands on them yet, but I will soon, as they provide "canonical" insights into the force from the Jedi and Sith points of view, complete with margin-note commentary from the perspective of Luke Skywalker, Yoda, Darth Sidious and others. Even a cursory read of this gives plenty of ideas as to how Force-users may work in F&D. Remember, the game will be called Force & Destiny, not "the Jedi Sourcebook." Jedi are simply one (formerly largish) order of force users amongst a huge Galaxy. In a time where the Jedi have been hunted down, force-sensitives are presumably still born at the same rate as they were before.

In that regard, we are very likely to see a wider choice than simply making Jedi (or even Sith) characters.

I have read  both of these books. They're really good. I got lots of story ideas and a few character concepts from them.

Raistlinrox likes this

I would like it to cover the period just after Episode VI and maybe up to I, Corran Horn or thereabouts, when force users are starting to emerge in greater numbers (so-to-speak) and the academy was beginning to be reestablished.

This makes the most sense to me, and even dovetails well with our personal Alternative Canon.

But I thought all the three games were set between Star Wars and 'Empire Strikes Back'? 

That's partly why I started this thread.

One reason we retconned the Order 66 silliness was because, in the films, there's only a few surviving Jedi, in the EU there's about a billion. You can't swing a lightsaber without hitting a gaggle of  people who somehow mysteriously survived Order 66. If they all came out of hiding at once, they'd outnumber the stormtroopers.

So like the 'Son of the Death Star', that had to go. 

But I was wondering how FFG will handle it?

I would like it to cover the period just after Episode VI and maybe up to I, Corran Horn or thereabouts

FFG probably can't touch anything after Endor till the new movies are out.

I don't think so to be honest. I think the period following Episode VI is ripe for the emergence of force users and right up FFG's trilogy's alley. The Empire is losing ground, the Rebellion is gaining steam, and you have a fair amount of chaos reigning in as various groups and being vie for the scrapes. It's a perfect time for all manner of shenanigans.