Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KRKappel

Suns of Fortune has a release date

37 posts in this topic

Anyone find it weird that Suns of Fortune was announced *after* Dangerous Covenants but is somehow getting released first?

Suns of Fortune is January 23rd 2014

Dangerous Covenants is February 2014

Jewel of Yavin is 1st Quarter 2014 (  Jan - April )

It's interesting, though I wouldn't call it weird. Maybe that's just because I am much more excited for Suns than Covenants.

Edit: That isn't a thing apparently. Silly me.

Edited by Colyer

Suns of Fortune was announced on 10 September, http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4350

Dangerous Covenants was announced 10 October, http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4410

Each book seems to get two build-up articles (the second of which came out for Suns of Fortune on 25 November: http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4516 it might be this article that you are mistaking for Suns of Fortune's initial announcement.

The books also seem to get a third article announcing they are in fact on store shelves. Each Star Wars book thus far seems to have gotten this treatment.

Excited for this, as it will be the first dedicated "setting" supplement.  

Just as EtU has set the current standard for career splats, SoF will give us the standard for its own bailiwick.  

Based on promo so far, I am looking forward to a book full of not only new species, gear and vehicles, but modular encounters full of local flavour and a more in depth study of how FFG's take on the license expects GMs and PCs to exist in this world.

I am really looking forward to the selonians and the new corellian equipment.

I am actually going to get to play when this comes out, not just GM! SPACE WEASELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, my players hate 'armour' so everyone is looking forward to these cool Corellian longcoats. 

Yivrael, Mr. Flibble and FangGrip like this

And yes, my players hate 'armour' so everyone is looking forward to these cool Corellian longcoats. 

Curious as to why they don't just re-skin "heavy clothing" as something else, such as a bodyglove or blast vest.  Heck, FFG's done it plenty of times, having other forms of "armor" that mechanically are no different than the standard set of heavy clothing.

bladerunner_35 likes this

We have an outlaw tech in the group, so I mess around with armor/clothing that can be modified.  I tend to use stuff like this as "treasure/loot", its fun because they can use their abilities to upgrade and everything is unique. There is always a lot of fun around rolling the dice pool for an expensive attachment...plus it drains resources from the characters.  

Curious as to why they don't just re-skin "heavy clothing" as something else, such as a bodyglove or blast vest.  Heck, FFG's done it plenty of times, having other forms of "armor" that mechanically are no different than the standard set of heavy clothing.

There is already "armoured clothing" which is supposed to look like normal clothing, but has a couple of hard points.

My players hated armor too until we realized the listed encumbrance value in the table was for carrying it, not wearing it.  

They just don't think wearing armour is very Star Wars-y.  The only time the movie characters wear it is as part of a disguise (stormtroopers. Boussh) or when they are wearing it primarily for environmental reasons on Hoth.  It's just a visual thing; this isn't Mass Effect or Halo.

Yes, there's armoured clothing, but the Corellian longcoat will look cool.

Our Driver has taken to wearing the racing jumpsuit from 'Enter the Unknown' which suits the character concept. The BGH has one of those little armoured vests.

Otherwise, they don't bother. It seems downright silly for a wookiee or a droid anyway.  I'd probably allow the cyberware mods for the droid character but she's spending all her money on the stat upgrades.

They just don't think wearing armour is very Star Wars-y.  The only time the movie characters wear it is as part of a disguise (stormtroopers. Boussh) or when they are wearing it primarily for environmental reasons on Hoth.  It's just a visual thing; this isn't Mass Effect or Halo.

Yes, there's armoured clothing, but the Corellian longcoat will look cool.

Our Driver has taken to wearing the racing jumpsuit from 'Enter the Unknown' which suits the character concept. The BGH has one of those little armoured vests.

Otherwise, they don't bother. It seems downright silly for a wookiee or a droid anyway.  I'd probably allow the cyberware mods for the droid character but she's spending all her money on the stat upgrades.

It's always better to look good than feel good....

Having said that, the comments in regards to armor and gear interest me.  How much custom equipment, weapons, gear etc, does everyone introduce into their games?  I'm looking forward to the book as well but not so much for gear.  Do you all only use/award/find what is listed in the books or do you insert your own offerings into campaigns?

I'm always more interested in the art and more complex rule additions than l am in equipment.  That's just me.  I agree good maps or tangible game aids are nice as well.

My players hated armor too until we realized the listed encumbrance value in the table was for carrying it, not wearing it.  

What made you reach this conclusion?

CRB p. 168 under Encumbrance. It's listed value is reduced by 3 when worn with the caveat that's all armor being worn.

Edited by 2P51

CRB p. 168 under Encumbrance. It's listed value is reduced by 3 when worn with the caveat that's all armor being worn.

Funny how you constantly find new details of the rules, apparently having blind spots when reading the rules to begin with. Thanks! My group will be happy to hear this.

Funny how you constantly find new details of the rules, apparently having blind spots when reading the rules to begin with. Thanks! My group will be happy to hear this.

You're welcome and very kind.  I love FFG's games but they could use a gameplay mechanics editor honestly.

I know, right?  I stumbled upon that after months of play!  

Your right, I did totally get the announcements wrong, good catch.

I find it weird that people seem to think that Armor doesn't have a place in Star Wars. I know the movies don't emphasize on it, but was that a budget concern or a canon concern?

In pretty much every video game involving Star Wars, people are allowed to wear armor. I would think that if it was unacceptable that Lucasarts would have quashed it in the games. I can see them not wanting Jedi to wear armor, but they have/had abilities to make up for it.

Anyways, just putting my 2 cents in.

I find it weird that people seem to think that Armor doesn't have a place in Star Wars. I know the movies don't emphasize on it, but was that a budget concern or a canon concern?

In pretty much every video game involving Star Wars, people are allowed to wear armor. I would think that if it was unacceptable that Lucasarts would have quashed it in the games. I can see them not wanting Jedi to wear armor, but they have/had abilities to make up for it.

It is a matter of where you look. If you watched the movies and all you could see were robed Jedi, smugglers in vests or princesses and wookies with very little clothes at all you'd think armour was wrong.

If you saw Storm Troopers or bounty hunters or Sith Lords, all fully encased in battle armour you'd want to have your cool armour. Never let the unimaginative stand in the way of awesome at your game table.

Scotbloke and Tear44 like this

It is a matter of where you look. If you watched the movies and all you could see were robed Jedi, smugglers in vests or princesses and wookies with very little clothes at all you'd think armour was wrong.

If you saw Storm Troopers or bounty hunters or Sith Lords, all fully encased in battle armour you'd want to have your cool armour. Never let the unimaginative stand in the way of awesome at your game table.

And no matter which one you saw, characters shooting up with stimpacks in the middle of every combat encounter didn't make it onto the screen. :P

Having said that, the comments in regards to armor and gear interest me.  How much custom equipment, weapons, gear etc, does everyone introduce into their games?  I'm looking forward to the book as well but not so much for gear.  Do you all only use/award/find what is listed in the books or do you insert your own offerings into campaigns?

To me having the right equipment might be important but should not feel like a theme in itself for the campaign (other than having precious little credits). I am very liberal in allowing the crew new equipment, partly to de-emphasize the hunt for new stuff and partly to emphasize that it is a high-tech setting for the most part.

Because of that I keep everything as is and won't "award" anything special other than what the story dictates (a player wanted a sniper to have a souped up blaster rifle so he could steal it from his cold dead fingers and since he rolled a Triumph I allowed it). One player is lugging around the flame projector he found in Mos Shuuta...

And no matter which one you saw, characters shooting up with stimpacks in the middle of every combat encounter didn't make it onto the screen. :P

I find your lack of imagination disturbing.

*force choke*