Sign in to follow this  
The_Brown_Bomber

Partial Spoiler alert! Rebel Transport Expansion Pack

This is great to see some details coming from this set.. this is what, I think, we all needed.. less speculation and more fact..

Yup, and these cool detailes are all going to make the game last. If FFG had kept this great universe as just a very little dog fight game it would die in a few years. STAR WARS IS F'ING EPIC...and it needs to be played that way. STAR BLAZERS too! :ph34r:

:D:lol:;)

And to some of us this means the end of the game. I still hope they will not include cards that can be used in the dog fighting game or that if they can be used they will release a stand alone booster with just the tokens and cards that can be used in it.

If i have to buy such an expensive ship just to get access to a few cards i will most likely stop buying the game.

This new information so far has only increased my fear that they will try to gauge money from the dog fighting players.

And to some of us this means the end of the game. I still hope they will not include cards that can be used in the dog fighting game or that if they can be used they will release a stand alone booster with just the tokens and cards that can be used in it.

If i have to buy such an expensive ship just to get access to a few cards i will most likely stop buying the game.

This new information so far has only increased my fear that they will try to gauge money from the dog fighting players.

I can understand your matter to some degree .... first I thought I wont buy such an expensive ship that is rebel only ... but then ... its a fanstastic model for my display ... and if the flachette torps are good, i might want to have them for my bombers ... In the end there is no need to buy it, im sure the upgrades are not needed to win games in dogfight mode.

They offer more variety, thats all.

I would bet good money that anything that doesn't have the unique dot will show up in a fighter pack eventually, and the uniques can probably be borrowed or traded for from one of the people who we all know will want a small fleet of these things. Even if not I doubt anything will be so amazing that it will hurt competitive players that don't have them and casuals can just proxy. And it's not as though the Transport is coming with a random, blind draw of card you can't get anywhere else, you know ahead of time exactly what is in them and if you consider it worth it.

Alright, so the base stats for a transport appear to be-

4 Energy

0 Evade

8 Hull

4 Shields

3 Pilot Skill for 20 points, alongside 2 crew slots and three other upgrade symbols. So it's pretty perfect for ramming those lovely little Academy Pilots I hate so much. From what I can see though, it takes energy just to move the ship (or at least takes 2 energy to do that 1 point turn), so this will be challenging for certain.

I'm also interested in what those space mines will do and how those will work... so much to look forward to with this pack. ^_^

From what I can make out there's something with a Hit icon on Porkins' pilot text, so we can assume he has a way to heighten his attack or maybe defence power, but I have a hunch it's attack based from what I know of his backstory. 

Edited by LeoHowler

I like that it explained the new actions that are likely to remain on the capital ships. But that new Jam action (the squiqly line action on the Transport) sounds interesting. Sounds like it might be handing out stress? Sounds like some Push the Limit hate, along with Slicer Tools.

I still hope they will not include cards that can be used in the dog fighting game or that if they can be used they will release a stand alone booster with just the tokens and cards that can be used in it.

They said that this would include stuff that can be used in the normal 100 point game, and while they may very well release the cards at some point, it won't be for a while. Doing so would undermine the sales of the Transport.

First off, it's only $40 on MM, $10 more then a Falcon is not what I'd consider to be overly expensive, not for what you get.  Compare this to a Bane Blade tank from GW, that comes unassembled, unpainted and costs $140.

That is also a rather shortsighted comment, getting this ship is completely optional, while you might get some toys with it that can be used in the dog fighting game, it's not like anything will be required.

To forgo buying other things you might want out of spite only really hurts yourself.

I fail to see how they are doing anything of the sort. They're offering some very nice models for a very fair price. Adding stuff in that can be used in the dog fighting game is simply good business. They aren't gauging anyone and frankly I find you using that term a bit offensive. It's not like they're charging people 15 times the standard price for a bottle of water in a crisis or something.

People need to stop hyper-exaggerating things like this. It not only hurts your argument it cheapens it when such things really happen. It's like those people who compare a balance patch in a video game to physical assault.

Edited by VanorDM

I still hope they will not include cards that can be used in the dog fighting game or that if they can be used they will release a stand alone booster with just the tokens and cards that can be used in it.

They said that this would include stuff that can be used in the normal 100 point game, and while they may very well release the cards at some point, it won't be for a while. Doing so would undermine the sales of the Transport.

First off, it's only $40 on MM, $10 more then a Falcon is not what I'd consider to be overly expensive, not for what you get.  Compare this to a Bane Blade tank from GW, that comes unassembled, unpainted and costs $140.

That is also a rather shortsighted comment, getting this ship is completely optional, while you might get some toys with it that can be used in the dog fighting game, it's not like anything will be required.

To forgo buying other things you might want out of spite only really hurts yourself.

I fail to see how they are doing anything of the sort. They're offering some very nice models for a very fair price. Adding stuff in that can be used in the dog fighting game is simply good business. They aren't gauging anyone and frankly I find you using that term a bit offensive. It's not like they're charging people 15 times the standard price for a bottle of water in a crisis or something.

People need to stop hyper-exaggerating things like this. It not only hurts your argument it cheapens it when such things really happen. It's like those people who compare a balance patch in a video game to physical assault.

I could not agree more, Having played GW the last few codexes have been ridiculous.  If you want something to complain about then go spend 50 dollars on a book that isnt the main book that is required before you even have something to play the game with.  I had tau, marine and guard and the best unit they had was 115 dollars for one, you need at least 2 preferably 3 of a certain thing in each codex.  The 115 is also the cheapest with the most expensive being 150.  You also look at dark elf witches 60 dollars for 5 little plastic people.  Having seen the models at gamescon the prices listed for them and all the cards extras etc. they come with is very well priced.  I cannot wait to play a game with these things. My gaming group already has an entire campaign ready when they come out.

A trade magazine would be a logical choice.  Get the word out to the distributors, that is where their sales will be at.  The distributors will start placing orders and start the money filtering in to FFG, after all that is where the majority of the money will be spent, in the hobby stores or outlets supplied by the middle man

Anyone find it weird that this info is out in a trade mag, and FFG has yet to post any of it here?

I just think that is a little off.  Maybe I'm wrong.

No, it is just how the internet works. If you had a big company with products you would likely not try to chase down eveything that people post about your products. You would just make your official announcments when you wanted to. People can say whatever beyond that. This is the way to remain sane.

:)

Then you have GW who do the exact oposite of this...

:lol:

300 points! 24 Ties! 

im seeing 1 rebel player versus 3x 100pts imperial squads as a fun format (i know there r set scenarios but most ppl are going to generate there own missions as well). imperial players would be wise coordinate squad building and select pilot skills to smooth gameplay as with that many ships on the table things could be sluggish if each player has a mix of 1,3, 4, 5,6, 7 PS for example. i can see natural flights developing where each players squad will have a primary objective to complete based on their ship selections. pretty exciting stuff.

in terms of cost, as a rebel player ill bite and buy this but im reserving judgement on the Tantive - i play with two imperial players regularly and i know that one of them will buy it so this is a way to spread the cost a little - just make sure someone at ur club buys one and u r good to go!

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber

First off, it's only $40 on MM, $10 more then a Falcon is not what I'd consider to be overly expensive, not for what you get.

This is a bit of an unfair comparison - using the MSRP for the Falcon and the discounted price for the Transport.  The Falcon is $20 on MM, not $30, making it consistently twice the price of a previous large ship.

That aside, I can honestly see both sides of this.  For the piece involved, I don't think the price is bad.  But at the same time, putting a bunch of base-game cards into a relatively expensive specialty piece like this is not exactly the most customer-friendly way FFG could have handled it.

But I also have to wonder - have people been paying attention??  This is how FFG approaches the vast majority of their distribution model - they moved away from random, but they've become masters at making you buy things you don't want in order to get the things you do.  Putting one and only one Advanced Sensors with the Lambda, and none with the B-wing, is far more egregious than anything they've done with Porkins and the Transport.  It's not even new - the X-wing and TIE pilots that are only available in the expansions, Stealth Device only in the Firespray (a ship that makes questionable use of it)...  This is pretty much just business as usual.

So as I said, I can see both sides.  It doesn't bother me personally, because I plan to get them anyway, but putting good standard-game pilots and upgrades in a $60 pack with a huge ship someone may want is the continuation of a less-than-friendly trend on FFG's part, and I think people have a right to be upset about it.

This is a bit of an unfair comparison - using the MSRP for the Falcon and the discounted price for the Transport.

That's true, I shouldn't use retail for one and discount price for another.

Putting one and only one Advanced Sensors with the Lambda, and none with the B-wing, is far more egregious than anything they've done with Porkins and the Transport.

I see that as simple business. They have a product they know won't sell quite as well as others, so they do something to give it a boost. Making the Shuttle better, isn't really an option, if you made the Shuttle something on par with the YT or Firespray and you've now broke the whole point of it.

I would care a bit more if I actually felt I was somehow forced to buy 4 Shuttles just to play friendly games, or even games at my LGS. But that's not true, I'm not, and the only people who are are those who play in tourney's. No one is going to need to buy the Transport just for the sake of those cards, because they'll no longer be able to play without them.

Sure FFG might do some things that are less then consumer friendly. But they still offer the best deal of any game out there, and have yet to set up their rules so the most expensive models are the best ones unlike GW does with their product line.

in terms of cost, as a rebel player ill bite and buy this but im reserving judgement on the Tantive - i play with two imperial players regularly and i know that one of them will buy it so this is a way to spread the cost a little - just make sure someone at ur club buys one and u r good to go!

This doesn't actually solve the problem people have with this.  I don't think anybody feels the $60 price tag is out of line for the ship itself - yes, it's expensive, but it's also pretty freaking huge.

The issue that a lot of people are concerned about is the X-wing, and the new pilots and upgrades for them.  At least for now, that makes Porkins, Wes, Hobbie, and Tarm a VERY expensive acquisition for someone who wants to have the full range of available ships for the standard game, not to mention the 5 fighter-scale upgrades that are included.  It's painful enough having to buy a Firespray to get a Stealth Device, or figuring out how to get Advanced Sensors on your B-wings without paying $30 per card...  but a $60 price tag for a very large ship that they don't want is a bit much.

but a $60 price tag for a very large ship that they don't want is a bit much.

I understand what you're saying. I'd really like to see FFG release some sort of card pack down the road so people don't have to pay $30-60 for a set of cards and another model they won't use.

But on the other hand... This is a pure luxury market, and the comparison some are making to gouging is simply out of line.

I would care a bit more if I actually felt I was somehow forced to buy 4 Shuttles just to play friendly games, or even games at my LGS. But that's not true, I'm not, and the only people who are are those who play in tourney's. No one is going to need to buy the Transport just for the sake of those cards, because they'll no longer be able to play without them.

Sure FFG might do some things that are less then consumer friendly. But they still offer the best deal of any game out there, and have yet to set up their rules so the most expensive models are the best ones unlike GW does with their product line.

I don't really like the idea of dividing player groups and deciding that it's OK to screw one over the other.  If you suddenly needed 8 TIEs for casual play, the tourney players would be fine (most have them already) but the casuals would be screwed.  Would that be good for the game, or acceptable if it went that way?

FFG certainly isn't GW, but that's a very low bar :P  Depending on how you look at it, "best = most expensive" is exactly what they're doing.  For many tournament players, Advanced Sensors is a $30 card.  GW uses effective game performance to drive the sale of expensive pieces.  FFG is using effective game performance of the upgrades to drive the sale of expensive (and sometimes underwhelming) pieces.  They may not do it to the extent that GW does, but again, that's a very low bar.

If you suddenly needed 8 TIEs for casual play, the tourney players would be fine (most have them already) but the casuals would be screwed.  Would that be good for the game, or acceptable if it went that way?

Why not? We are talking about a game we play in our spare time, not rent or food and water. I own 8 TIE's and I'm not a tourney player. Again I don't completely agree with what FFG does with some of these cards.

But I also have options that let me play the game without having to spend nearly as much money as I do for some other games.

But more to the point, people don't need 8 TIE's to play a game. They only need 8 TIE's if they want to run the 8 TIE swarm.

This doesn't actually solve the problem people have with this.  I don't think anybody feels the $60 price tag is out of line for the ship itself - yes, it's expensive, but it's also pretty freaking huge.

The issue that a lot of people are concerned about is the X-wing, and the new pilots and upgrades for them.  At least for now, that makes Porkins, Wes, Hobbie, and Tarm a VERY expensive acquisition for someone who wants to have the full range of available ships for the standard game, not to mention the 5 fighter-scale upgrades that are included.  It's painful enough having to buy a Firespray to get a Stealth Device, or figuring out how to get Advanced Sensors on your B-wings without paying $30 per card...  but a $60 price tag for a very large ship that they don't want is a bit much.

if ppl cant afford the price tag then they will b put off buying or have to raise the funds and save up for it. I was alarmed at how much i was spending on this game back when Imperial Aces was announced. My collection is rather extensive but not s large as many ive seen on these forums. I buy for both factions equally but for these large ships i dont think i will get both - the drawcard for me buying the transport is the extra x-wing pilots.

If u find the price tag too much - vote with your wallet and dont buy (like every new product out there if u wait long enough u will find it discounted or for sale somewhere).