Sign in to follow this  
OldScribe2000

Darth Vader & Push the Limit / Token Usage vs. Perform Actions

From I've gathered on this board, Darth Vader is allowed to use Push the Limit and actually perform three actions per turn. However, these actions can't be identical. Can't Target Lock or Focus three times, and so forth. Correct? Plus, even Vader gets a Stress Token.

Also, it's my understanding that using a token (like Evade) isn't performing an action. Thus, if you have a Stress Token, you can still use tokens (Focus, Evade, etc.) that were assigned before the Stress Token was gained. These tokens are normally assigned when actions are performed, but if you use them in Combat, for example, that's not performing an Action. Is this correct? I wish the rulebook was a bit more clear on when actions are assigned versus when they're performed, And when can actions be performed? When can they not? What about tokens that actions earn (i.e. Focus, Target Lock, etc.)?

Thanks.

Tokens are assigned when the action is performed (in the Activation Phase), but spending a token is not an action. So yes, using Push the Limit on Vader would let you perform three actions, lets say getting both a Focus and an Evade token. He would them get a Stress token, but could still use the Focus and Evade tokens during the Combat Phase despite being stressed.

Also, getting a token from another ship (such as Garven Dries) does not count as performing an action and so Garven could pass a focus token to a stressed ship.

Actually, the focus and evade, are actions you perform in the action phase of your turn. You are taking the action of focusing, and place the token near your ship. When you use push the limit, you gain the stress and then may preform no further actions.. as I understand it.. then, yes, you are correct, you may use those tokens as you see fit during your turn.

So.. Vader could... barrel roll, then focus.. kick in PtL and targetlock a nearby Xwing... gain a stress token.. if he has highest pilot skill number, he then gets to attack first. He could use missiles, if he had them and that wouod use up his targetlock, and focus to change the dice.. all in one neat turn...

Easy peasy

I've seen some argue that token usage isn't performing an action. They'll cite cards like the new Carnor Jax from the upcoming Interceptor expansion whose card reads: "Enemy ships at Range 1 cannot perform focus or evade actions and cannot use focus or evade tokens."

It sounds like performing the action earns you the token (to use later, during Combat if you wish). And once you have the token, you can use it when legal, when permitted. But using the token is a separate ordeal, like the quote above seems to dictate. Therefore, having a Stress token and using a Focus token and Evade token should be legal. Or it sounds like it should be legal.

When you perform an action that gives you a token (like focus, evade, target lock...) you are using your action to gain the token(s). When you spend them is not an action and so you could spend any token while you had a stress token. You just have to remember that spending a token is not part of the action, that has already happened.

With a stress token you just can't perform any action (free or normal).

Think of it like this: 

Perform an action to gain a token- (blocked by stress tokens)

Spend token at any time - (unaffected by stress tokens)

When you perform an action that gives you a token (like focus, evade, target lock...) you are using your action to gain the token(s). When you spend them is not an action and so you could spend any token while you had a stress token. You just have to remember that spending a token is not part of the action, that has already happened.

With a stress token you just can't perform any action (free or normal).

Think of it like this: 

Perform an action to gain a token- (blocked by stress tokens)

Spend token at any time - (unaffected by stress tokens)

Straightforward, the way I prefer it.

Thanks.

Slightly off topic, but Vader perform the same action twice?

Can he barrel roll twice, add two evade tokens, get two focus tokens?

Edit - sorry, found it.he can't perform 2 of the same action.

Edited by Demax Reboban

Nobody can perform the same action twice, as far as I know.

Not yet, anyway.

Edit:

Vader with Expert Handling was able to perform two barrel rolls until the FAQ changed that.

He was never able to perform two barrel roll actions, though.

Edited by dvor

Question: Say Vader does have Push The Limit. I know that pilots cannot perform the same action twice - but is that only in back to back actions? Or, for example, could Vader (with PtL) barrel roll, focus, then barrel roll again?

Question: Say Vader does have Push The Limit. I know that pilots cannot perform the same action twice - but is that only in back to back actions? Or, for example, could Vader (with PtL) barrel roll, focus, then barrel roll again?

A ship cannot preform the same action twice anytime in the same round. So in your example, no, Vader cannot do that. Similarly, if Phennir uses Boost in the activation phase, he cannot boost after attacking.

A ship cannot preform the same action twice anytime in the same round. So in your example, no, Vader cannot do that. Similarly, if Phennir uses Boost in the activation phase, he cannot boost after attacking.

Which is why Phennir has "Barrel Roll" also available after attacking. Which would also mean if he barrel rolled and boosted earlier he cannot use his special ability. 

Which is why Phennir has "Barrel Roll" also available after attacking. Which would also mean if he barrel rolled and boosted earlier he cannot use his special ability.

Exactly. Though coming up with a way for him to boost, barrel roll, and not have a stress token (stress prevents all actions, even the one from Phennir after all) is somewhat tricky to pull off. Possible since wave 3, but won’t be common.

Thanks, dbmeboy. That was my initial intuition, but wanted to verify it with you guys :-)

Exactly. Though coming up with a way for him to boost, barrel roll, and not have a stress token (stress prevents all actions, even the one from Phennir after all) is somewhat tricky to pull off. Possible since wave 3, but won’t be common.

Focus before you shoot then with PTL boost and barrel roll away so no one can shoot!