Sign in to follow this  
Rasguy

How much should bounties pay?

I'm running a party with two Bounty Hunters.  They want to collect perform some bounty missions but I haven't found guidelines on how to determine bounty amounts.  I want an amount to be motivating but not so much that it unbalances my game.  Any suggestions or rules of thumb other GM's are using?

Well, the WEG supplement Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters gave some guidelines for bounties posted by the Empire. They ran like this:

• Imperial "Most Wanted" List: 200,000+ credits
  • Galactic Bounties: 50,000-100,000+ credits
  • Regional Bounties: 20,000-75,000 credits
  • Sector Bounties: 3,000-50,000 credits
  • Local Bounties: 100-15,000 credits

The same supplement distinguished three kinds of bounties: Imperial bounties (government-posted), private bounties (legal bounties posted by a corporation or individual), and illegal bounties (like Jabba posted on Han and Chewbacca). Private and illegal bounties are a lot more variable. I would guess that illegal bounties would have to be competitive with Imperial or private bounties on the same individual to get attention from bounty hunters.

Edited by Mr. Flibble

Are the prices of ships and weapons in the WEB economy equivilant to the prices found in the FFG economy?  I'm trying to figure out if the value of a credit in WEG is the same.

Man, the value of a credit isn't consistent in the WEG game. Equipment and fees were all over the **** map and wildly inconsistent. Most of the time as a GM, I just chalked it up to the disparity of economics in a galaxy wide system - but really, it was a bunch of game designers that threw numbers at a chalkboard and didn't care what stuck.

In short, do what feels right for your game and sourcebooks be damned.

If it matters any more (I didn't look at when the topic was started), here is a quick summery of how my bounty hunter earns her money for bounty hunts:

experience counts: The base amount of the bounty hunt is one of the following:

• The amount of XP invested in the character thus far (including starting XP) X1
  • The amount of XP invested in the character thus far (including starting XP) X10

The reason for the difference is simply this: Is it going to be hand waved or is it going to be an adventure, even if just a short one. I do sometimes allow her to go on a "bounty hunt" that is hand waved, if the rest of the team is doing other things that are being hand waved, like training or whatever. It improves her enjoyment of the game, and doesn't ruin the fun for anyone else, so she gets that sometimes. However, she understands that if it is hand waved, the worth of the bounty is far less, which she is fine with. Now, to continue with the math:

Once you have the base amount (XP x1 or XP x10), the hunter meets with the person who is offering reward, or that persons' representative. Then negotiate. I do this as an opposed test player negotiation + Presence Vs. NPC's negotiation + Presence. each success shifts the bounty in their favor 100 credits (to a min. of 100 credits), and advantages (or threats, if you are an NPC) adds or removes 50 credits. If the bounty causes fear, then +100 credits per difficulty dice the player would have to roll on the fear table 9-1 on page 299 of the core rulebook.

Then the NPC and the player character shake hands, and it's off to adventure, or hand-waving, depending :)

This is a very good system because it has some kind of relationship to the actual characters.  I have a couple of questions. 

Do you make all the bounty targets Nemesis type NPC? 

Do you make any adjustments for the skill of the target?

Do you make a distinction between bounties based on capturing a target alive versus dead?

If it matters any more (I didn't look at when the topic was started), here is a quick summery of how my bounty hunter earns her money for bounty hunts:

experience counts: The base amount of the bounty hunt is one of the following:

• The amount of XP invested in the character thus far (including starting XP) X1
  • The amount of XP invested in the character thus far (including starting XP) X10

The reason for the difference is simply this: Is it going to be hand waved or is it going to be an adventure, even if just a short one. I do sometimes allow her to go on a "bounty hunt" that is hand waved, if the rest of the team is doing other things that are being hand waved, like training or whatever. It improves her enjoyment of the game, and doesn't ruin the fun for anyone else, so she gets that sometimes. However, she understands that if it is hand waved, the worth of the bounty is far less, which she is fine with. Now, to continue with the math:

Once you have the base amount (XP x1 or XP x10), the hunter meets with the person who is offering reward, or that persons' representative. Then negotiate. I do this as an opposed test player negotiation + Presence Vs. NPC's negotiation + Presence. each success shifts the bounty in their favor 100 credits (to a min. of 100 credits), and advantages (or threats, if you are an NPC) adds or removes 50 credits. If the bounty causes fear, then +100 credits per difficulty dice the player would have to roll on the fear table 9-1 on page 299 of the core rulebook.

Then the NPC and the player character shake hands, and it's off to adventure, or hand-waving, depending :)

This is a very good system because it has some kind of relationship to the actual characters.  I have a couple of questions. 

Do you make all the bounty targets Nemesis type NPC? 

Do you make any adjustments for the skill of the target?

Do you make a distinction between bounties based on capturing a target alive versus dead?

1: If the bounty hunt is hand-waved, it is usually against a minion or rival. It is is not being hand-waved (meaning it will be at least a short adventure) then it is against a Rival or Nemesis with thier crew, guards, palace or whatever.

2: No, I don't. because I use the XP invested in the player character, it figures in the PCs' skill already, so as long as you make a bounty that is within the skill range of the players, then the system already figures that in.

3: Thanks for asking. I did forget to mention that. The pay is generally 3/4 the offered amount if the bounty is dead at drop off. However, I do modify that based on the advantages or threats rolled. If they roll 3+ advantages, then the guy paying the bounty doesn't care what condition the bounty arrives in. If they roll 3+ threats, then there is no pay if the bounty is dead on arrival.