Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nemomon

Talisman The Nether Realm Expansion

73 posts in this topic

Hey, you could have ordered two and I could have shared the postage costs :)

Good idea

That could work for any other guys in UK.  You should put up a topic to get others on board

What are the standard rules for using the nether realm deck?

I had a look to see if they were in the support section but not there yet.

Well, I stop along at Talisman Island every so often to see what Talisman news there is, I wasn't expecting this!

Ordered 2 copies. I've no idea why I would need two, but it helps split the postage... :rolleyes:

Weird logic I know :D

talismanisland likes this

Had a great surprise this frosty Oxfordshire Sunday morning!  Opened my shed door to find a package from the states with my Nether Realm Expansion inside  :D Mr Postman must have left it there yesterday.

Anyhow I have had a good look and I think it's great.  Well done Mr New (and of course to all involved with it's development).

I love the way these cards add lots of interesting encounter elements beyond merely rolling to attack and adding str or craft. Makes encounters that bit more interesting.  Of particular note Is the horrifying "Nether Torment" and "Nether Blight".  Hands down these are the most dangerous cards in the entire game (discounting turning over the horrible black void on the CoC)

When I was first browsing the cards and read these I was like "ok, Nether Blight Str 6, thats not so bad and Oh Nether Torment Craft 5 just like a wraith really"  Then I reread them carefully and I was like "darn thats Attack Roll not attack score".

All the strength and craft in the world will account for nothing if you roll low on that dice and have no fate or reroll unluckily. Proper game over man.

The Pandoras box Alternate ending is my new personal favorite.  I really like the tactical choices you have when choosing which player to hit with a Nether realm card though I have a clarification question:

Q)  Can we look at the Nether Realm card before choosing a player to use it against or do we have to issue it blind and hope it's appropriately nasty?

Here's hoping we see it incorporated into Talisman digital too.

I'm glad you like what you have seen so far! :)

Pandora's Box was meant to give tactical choices, so the card was left open so that (a) you get to see the 6 cards before you use them and (b) you can use the 6 cards in any order. 

I have heard from Carl at Nomad Games that they have added The Nether Realm to their list of expansions to add to the game.

thanks for the clarification Jon.

I take it that when you say "I'm glad you like what you have seen so far" that you have some other works in progress   ;)

By the way, that Goblin baby is an orrible lil bugger. :D

Hi guys, question - do You know if this expansion which is tagged as print on demand will be translated and selled abroad as other regular expansions?

OK played with this new expansion! I don't own it yet, but a friend does and we all loved it!

The Dark Ritualist got to the center and used the Pandora's box on us, I was the Priest and my friend was the Minstrel.

It was a huge long battle to get up there, another long story...

At 1st the Dark Ritualist had doubts he could take us out. We did survive the 1st round! I started with 7 lives he took 1. The Minstrel was struck by an event to remove all followers, then remembered he had an item to protect him from events!

The Dark ritualist was worried about my lot of lives and had a card that could kill me outright based on who had the highest roll, and he out rolled me and I was out. The minstrel was attacked by a dragon(?) that turned him into a toad and that was that for the Minstrel and the Dark Ritualist won. Long fun game about 11 hours...

All in all a fun game. I actually like the long games; so much happens.  I have not played in about 2 weeks, so I'm thinking the next game I will use Jon's suggestion and draw Nether cards when players land on the Runes spaces.

Your previous point about the Runes bonuses is a good one Oberon. You could always just draw them at a space that nobody ever goes to, like the Black Knight or the Chasm...

After reading all the great ideas, think will incorporate them all for the Nether cards

Always on Cursed Glades

1 - 3 cards after Nightfall

On Runes spaces at night (sans the +2 bonus, as they are tough enough)

Just got this today, it's smaller than I hoped but looking forward to trying the new cards. Great idea to use the Cursed Glade, and first card after night fall, otherwise we may never have got to use them as dont ever play revealed alt cards. ;)

Edited by ElGreebo

No. You can try, but you'd be thrown back to the Plain of Peril.

Same if you came via the Treasure Chamber in the Dungeon.

Edited by talismanisland
DomaGB likes this

We are going to try a new way to play with the Nether Realm deck. We are going to use it for the draw deck in the Dragon Tower. We have played the Nether Realm 3-4 times now and love it, but wanna try something new.

Edited by DomaGB

We played it last night finally! We did a game first with Firelands + Core Game. Then we added the Nether "Hunt" variant. For added fun, we made the deck hidden, that is we new it was supposed to be hard, but no one in our group looked at the cards before playing (other than the one revealed on the bottom of the deck). So, shuffle up and go! It was supper fun as everyone got their arse handed to them by the Nether deck. A solid addition to the game!