Sign in to follow this  
Hockeyzombie

Backstabber rules dispute

My opponent attacks with a TIE Fighter, I declare no defenders. He drops in Backstabber for 3 resources and destroys the objective. The problem is, he claims that Backstabber doesn't have to focus to strike (and could therefore join the next attack, if he wants).

I argue that because Backstabber is Ready (has no focus tokens), and participating (his ability says "as a participating unit"), he must focus to strike as stated in the "Resolving Strikes" section on p.20. 

He says that Backstabber doesn't have to focus because he was never declared an attacker, he just sort of appeared after the fight started. 

This will continue to be a thing with us until the internet tells us who's wrong. The same ruling presumably applies to Ackbar, Replica Droid, and any other unit that enters after units are declared attackers, right?

I may be wrong here but I don't think you have to spend he recourse to drop backstabber in. Can't you just drop him in the engagement

ffg_backstabber-core-27-2.png

Unless the GT states otherwise, the cost must be paid to play something and Backstabber's GT has the player play it from hand.

I have a question about Backstabber.

Say my opponent attacks with a Sleuth Scout and I have no defenders that can meet the requirements of 2 or less. He focus' to strike and before unopposed damage I play Backstabber. Can this be done?

ffg_sleuth-scout-edge-of-darkness-74-3.p

I have a question about Backstabber.

Say my opponent attacks with a Sleuth Scout and I have no defenders that can meet the requirements of 2 or less. He focus' to strike and before unopposed damage I play Backstabber. Can this be done?

Yes.  Backstabber could even be played in either of the 2 action windows between when the Sleuth Scout was declared as an attacker and the edge battle, allowing you to participate in the edge battle and turn off the Sleuth Scout's blast damage. 

The key is that being played as a participating unit is not the same as being declared as a defender, so it doesn't conflict with the text on Sleuth Scout (or Blockade Runner).  If you really wanted to get crazy, you can play Backstabber before edge, win edge, and then have a Human Replica Droid join in too.

Yep, the droid spy from recon mission is also another that would work.

Yep, the downside of the Droid is that you have to have at least 1 defender first to win the edge battle.  But it could give you the extra unit damage they weren't counting on.