Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tracker1

Mono Spirit (solo) Caldara Deck

49 posts in this topic

Noccus, happy to hear you had fun with. It is fun to play type of deck that really changes up some strategy.

The Ancient Mathom, should probably be included for the card draw, and in a few games I replaced the Hidden Cache with it, since once Zigil/stargazer is set up the extra resources from the cache are really not needed. I liked the cache in the deck for the effect of pulling off the trick of using it, but getting a few more cards in hand probably out weighs the few resources. Maybe 2 Mathom and a 1 cache will do.

Thanks for the feedback.

This Caldara deck is doing well on the NM scenarios, It now has victories on PTM, JatA, THfG, and CAtC.

CatC NM was pretty cool. In many way's it is still similar to the normal mode, still need to quest lightly on stage 1, and if you do not put progress on the quest it gets 1 progress anyway. I managed to last 5 rounds before the 4 trolls entered the staging area. My threat was low enough so I was still able to bring one troll down at a time, and was able to have just enough damage to take each one out. I probably did the Caladra disappear reappear trick six times this scenario, and i had to have all three N. trackers, Elfhelm, Damrod, Glorfindel, and others to take down each troll, as well as enough questing power to keep the remaining trolls in the staging area. After all the trolls and minor trolls were cleared out. Rob and Bob and another non-unique troll hit the staging area, and my small army of spirit allies and heroes finished him off next round.

Pretty cool quest, probably got lucky on my first play through, still a long quest 12 rounds to complete, I think it's an improvement over normal mode. And Cadara gets another tough quest under her belt.

Unfortunately, NM AJtR will probably be hopeless for this deck. Not sure it is even worth trying.

Edited by Tracker1

You would be missing 7 cards for the deck.

1 Northern Tracker

1 Test of Will

1 Hasty Stroke

2 Dwarven Tomb

2 Fortune of Fate

The first 3 cards can be replaced with an ally of your choice. Riddlemarks Finest is pretty good.

However, Dwarven Tomb and FoF are really tough to replace. You could probably get away without the 2 Tombs, but FoF is the foundation of getting Caldara working, and if there is only one in the deck it might never surface.

The best thing you could do is add 3 Ancient Mathom for more card draw, and hope you get FoF with it.

I have only one core set, and the deck I crafted used 3 ancient mathoms and 3 of the spirit book. It worked pretty well. If FoF is at the bottom of the deck, well, it's still mono-spirit and you'll be fine. It's just more fun if you can use FoF, dwarven tomb, and then the book. I also used 3 of Emery to burn faster.

You would be missing 7 cards for the deck.

1 Northern Tracker

1 Test of Will

1 Hasty Stroke

2 Dwarven Tomb

2 Fortune of Fate

The first 3 cards can be replaced with an ally of your choice. Riddlemarks Finest is pretty good.

However, Dwarven Tomb and FoF are really tough to replace. You could probably get away without the 2 Tombs, but FoF is the foundation of getting Caldara working, and if there is only one in the deck it might never surface.

The best thing you could do is add 3 Ancient Mathom for more card draw, and hope you get FoF with it.

I'll probably just throw in a couple makeshift cards (light the beacons i suppose) for FoF since its so important to the deck. and yeah I can see myself getting by without 2 tombs.  

Thanks man

Having played Tracker's deck I feel confident in saying that it won't work very well unless you proxy in 3X FoF and DT.  If there is such a thing as a combo deck in LOTR, this is it right now.  You need the right pieces to make it work.

This Caldara deck is doing well on the NM scenarios, It now has victories on PTM, JatA, THfG, and CAtC.

CatC NM was pretty cool. In many way's it is still similar to the normal mode, still need to quest lightly on stage 1, and if you do not put progress on the quest it gets 1 progress anyway. I managed to last 5 rounds before the 4 trolls entered the staging area. My threat was low enough so I was still able to bring one troll down at a time, and was able to have just enough damage to take each one out. I probably did the Caladra disappear reappear trick six times this scenario, and i had to have all three N. trackers, Elfhelm, Damrod, Glorfindel, and others to take down each troll, as well as enough questing power to keep the remaining trolls in the staging area. After all the trolls and minor trolls were cleared out. Rob and Bob and another non-unique troll hit the staging area, and my small army of spirit allies and heroes finished him off next round.

Pretty cool quest, probably got lucky on my first play through, still a long quest 12 rounds to complete, I think it's an improvement over normal mode. And Cadara gets another tough quest under her belt.

Unfortunately, NM AJtR will probably be hopeless for this deck. Not sure it is even worth trying.

What is the Nightmare change for HfG?  The Quest card itself I mean, similar to the progress token each round for Conflict.

What is the Nightmare change for HfG?  The Quest card itself I mean, similar to the progress token each round for Conflict.

The major change is that clue objectives that you have not acquired get attached to mordor enemies at the end of refresh phase, and if 4 or more clue objectives are attached then you lose the game.

So far for solo play I have not found the change to be too difficult.

FYI just beat Nightmare Dol Guldur with this.  Pretty lucky first draw, but power questing is the way to go for this quest.  Might have made a small mistake somewhere, and killed Nazgul right before Glorf had to take his last damage via the Shadow Key.  Give it a shot!

Tracker1 likes this

FYI just beat Nightmare Dol Guldur with this.  Pretty lucky first draw, but power questing is the way to go for this quest.  Might have made a small mistake somewhere, and killed Nazgul right before Glorf had to take his last damage via the Shadow Key.  Give it a shot!

Awesome! Nice work. Who was captured?

This deck really amazes me. I'm looking forward to how it does on VoI scenarios. It is kind of my go to deck on really tough scenarios right now.

Awesome! Nice work. Who was captured?

This deck really amazes me. I'm looking forward to how it does on VoI scenarios. It is kind of my go to deck on really tough scenarios right now.

Caldara captured, hard quest first phase, got her in on turn 2 or 3.

Does "The Fall of Gil-Galad" go in this deck? If so, what should it replace?

I'm thinking Hasty Stroke.

Edited by Denison

Does "The Fall of Gil-Galad" go in this deck? If so, what should it replace?

I'm thinking Hasty Stroke.

I'm not sure it would go in. Fall of Gil-Galad states the hero must be destroyed so Caldara's ability would not trigger its response which is kind of the whole point.  Its a relatively low threat deck to begin with along with the elrond's council sprinkled in so I dont think it would be worth the effort of killing someone off then reviving them for the threat reduction.

Then again, its just a limit of 1 copy card and for utility purpose may have a place at some point in a game.

The fact that Fortune or Fate is already included in the deck makes it a decent target for Fall of Gil-Galad even if Caldara's ability won't trigger it. Though, the highest threat hero is 9, which isn't tiny, but doesn't give FoG-G it's best value. It's definitely a judgment call. And there's no reason you can't just throw it in without taking something out. It won't kill you to have 51 cards. :)

I'd like to take tnis opportunity to thank you guys for opening my eyes to the awesomeness that is the Caldara deck. When she first came out I completely dismissed her but now she is my go-to deck, especially in multi player. This deck is so much fun.

jormungandr likes this

Hi,

We (me and my teammates) have played with a great pleasure this kind of deck.

But with some modifications :

-1 Arwen Undomiel

-1 Elfhelm

-1 Damrod

-1 Pelargir Shipwright

+1 Emery

+3 Stand and Fight

We add more Emery because she is important for Caldara capacity and can be used as a chump blocker and replay just after.

The Caldara mechanic could be blocked if you don't have Fortune and Fate in hand or in discard pile.

So we had stand and fight in order to search in the discard pile allies if Caldara couldn't.

We have also made a two handed deck with Caldara with the below heroes list :

Deck 1 : Caldara/Dwalin/Eowyn

Deck 2 : Beorn/Bifur/Dain

Beorn is an excellent defender but we need to reanimate him.

A Caldara deck is synergetic with this deck due to the massive usage of Fortune and Fate.

We had Dwalin instead of Glorfindel beacause Dwalin could receive King under the mountain (from deck 2) which increase discard effect for Caldara capacity.

These two deck are very powerfull with Beorn as unique defender and Caldara which bring an army of allies for questing.

If you are interresting, i can post the complete list of the two decks (in another thread).

Edited by 13nrv

Tracker; 

Have you tried this deck with frodo instead of glorfindel?  Every time I play with other people they always use glorfindel (what a surprise ) so I was wondering if you have tried it and what cards you switched in and out ect. To me in doesn't seem that big of a deal.....elronds counsel would be harder with just arwen.......

Thank you 

I've replaced eowyn with Frodo a few times, but never remove Glorfinde. But, i don't see why dropping out Glorfindel would be big deal in multiplayer. Solo might be more of an issue, because losing the 3 attack, is a big problem, but if teammates can help with ranged it might be okay. His most important pole in the deck is attack. Questing is rally no big deal.

Yeah sorry I forgot to clarify that this would be a multiplayer game.  My bad.  Yes most definitely it would not work in a solo game.  Since you are more of the "expert" on the deck, I just thought i'd ask you to see if you had any suggestions.  

Thank you for your reply, have a nice day :)

Thanks a lot for sharing this really fun deck!

Two questions:

1) is there any limit to how many times you may use Caldaras action? As in once per round, per phase? Any errata? Or is it only limited by your amount of resources and having FoF in your hand?

2) if I have three Zigil Miners out I have to discard two cards for each one, right? A total of six cards discarded.

Hey Tracker, have you may any changes to the deck with the new cards that have come out or is it still the same basic shell? I want to try it out vs Dunland Trap.