Sign in to follow this  
Guest Not In Sample

Aschan Pete+Naacal Key=Yay or Nay?

Guest Not In Sample

Description: Once any investigator has Naacal Key, he uses it to place a gate in a stable location, and then he gets in and seals it. We now make sure no investigator discards more than 2 unique items and that no investigator other that Pete goes shopping for uniques. After, or even while the newly opened gate is exolored, Aschan goes shopping and buys Naacal Key from the bottom of the deck. He then repeats the process. Outcome: A number of sealed gates that can never explode.

Is this a good combo?

It's time and resource consuming. If you somehow manage to get the time factor down and are rolling in Clues, I'd say it could be a hoot. But only really worthwhile vs Atlach Nacha even then IMO.

Each time adds an extra doom token from a place that wouldn't normally have a gate at all, and there aren't many AOs where an extra few doom tokens can be added without waking them up more often than not. Perhaps useful against Atlach-Nacha still if you intend a fight but are worried about that Sinister Plot.

That's exactly the problem;

Not only do you open two gates every round (one by the key, the other by the mythos card), but you also get two doom tokens...

You'll hit the gate limit pretty fast, and if not, you'll get drowned in tokenly doom.

Sigismond said:

So, what are the good ideas/combos of using this Naacal Key, in your opinion?

For the Greater Good Mission requires specific OWs to be visited in a specific order . Extra, absolutely permanent seal vs Atlach-Nacha. A lot of really nasty monsters with a dimension symbol not on any gate currently out there, fish the correct gate from the pile. Mark Harrigan (or Erich Weiss) + Find Gate? Don't know about the last one.

I've been playing that the Naacal Key's gate doesn't delay you, because you're voluntarily opening it (after all, you control what OW it leads to). Using it does add a doom token and a monster and another gate; delaying you and making it take longer to close just seems too much of an added risk.

Amusingly enough, the title of this thread (Pete+Naacal Key) is the one time I've used it with a purpose (and not just a whim).  Pete's Personal Story requires a very specific Gate trophy, and the only time I've ever passed it was by using the Key.

jgt7771 said:

Amusingly enough, the title of this thread (Pete+Naacal Key) is the one time I've used it with a purpose (and not just a whim).  Pete's Personal Story requires a very specific Gate trophy, and the only time I've ever passed it was by using the Key.

My gate tokes shuffle (which is done before the investigators are drawn) always seems to bring up the needed gates up front, Dreamlands for Pete, R'lyeh for Mark cool.gif . Sadly, no 2x R'lyeh so far when Amanda gets drawn llorando.gif .

Dam said:

For the Greater Good Mission requires specific OWs to be visited in a specific order .
If you are going for the For the Greater Good, wouldn't it be a lot easier and saver ot just become Captain of the White Ship?

Girathon said:

Dam said:

For the Greater Good Mission requires specific OWs to be visited in a specific order .

If you are going for the For the Greater Good, wouldn't it be a lot easier and saver ot just become Captain of the White Ship?

Not if you're Dam. He doesn't own Kingsport.

Tibs said:

Girathon said:

Dam said:

Not if you're Dam. He doesn't own Kingsport.

::Laughter::