Sign in to follow this  
drylndsurf

Star Wars Attack Squadrons Beta

No.... sigh... after multiple attempts to enter, I got a message stating I was already registered.. so, likely, one of my previous attempts actually went through.. I was just saying that was a possibility for you as well.. but maybe you just haven't recieved word of it yet..

So, is this game in-cockpit (a la Tie Fighter) or one of those sub-par behind-the-ship kinda games?

I'm hoping in cockpit but I would take third person if nothing else. I liked both the TIE Fighter games and the Rogue Squadron games. Since it has Squadron in the name and from what they show in the trailer it looks like it might be the later of the two.

I signed up and got this in an email:

Thanks for signing up for the Star Wars™: Attack Squadrons Beta Test!   Please note that not everyone who shows interest in the Beta Test will have immediate access to the game at the time of the test. Potential beta testers are subject to a random process which will be completed near the time of the test.

If this game is nothing more than the Star Wars version of World of Warplanes, I will be ecstatic!  I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm, though.  I was hoping that "Galactic Starfighter" in SWTOR would be the game of my dreams, and it doesn't support a joystick...

Just signed up for it like, an hour ago, no issues what so ever. Cheesy trailer, but this game looks like it may end up being very fun. It can be as arcadey as all get out, I don't care. It's Star Wars, it's dogfighting. A decade and a half after X-wing Alliance, this is something I desire heavily.

So, is this game in-cockpit (a la Tie Fighter) or one of those sub-par behind-the-ship kinda games?

I'm hoping in cockpit but I would take third person if nothing else. I liked both the TIE Fighter games and the Rogue Squadron games. Since it has Squadron in the name and from what they show in the trailer it looks like it might be the later of the two.

I'm worried because it looks like they gave TIE Interceptors some sort of torpedoes or missiles.  PLEASE!!! In the name of everything good and holy, please do not be a clone of Star Wars Battlefront space combat!swas_screenshot_full6.jpg

I'm worried this will be a Galactic Civil War-era version of The Old Republic's 'Galactic Starfighter' expansion. I enjoy that well enough, but there isn't much to it at all. PVP is boring if that's a game's only feature.

I was hoping after all this time (big fan of the TIE Fighter series) they'd have something more like a flight sim and less like an arcade game. I'd kill for an epic campaign, single-player, co-op, rich backstory. And I've always wanted a sim that made the X-Wing feel more like a WWII fighter, like it might just fall apart if you don't take care of it (remember the movies?), something visceral and weathered and elemental... instead of just magically floating around and 'pew pew pew'. 

X-Wing/TIE fighter games were great for their complexity and depth (controls, story, 3D space)—Rogue Squadron for its immediately pleasing aesthetic (sight, sound, and feel). A Star Wars combat sim with all of those elements has yet to be made.

Still, as long as B-Wings feature in someday, I will play it gladly.