Sign in to follow this  
peterhackman

Using Sith Holcron - Can they stack?

In the game I just played, I pulled two Sith Holcrons in my first hand.  I played them both on the board to enhance my play area, but did not sacrifice them.  In my second hand, I pulled Devastator and Palpatine.  I then played Devastator for 6 resources, using up all available resources in play.  Then I sacrificed both of the Sith Holocrons to reduce the cost of the next Stih card I played by 3, effectively reducing the cost of the Palpatine card that I played next from 6 to 0.

Sith Holocron's Action text states: "Sacrifice this enhancement to reduce the cost of the next Sith card you play this phase by 3."

So my question is, can the Sith Holocron effects stack?  Was this a legal move on my part?  

Thanks!

Peteyhack

I'm a bit of a new player, but one thing I notice is that I'm pretty sure you can't drop two Sith Holocrons in one turn anyway, since they are Limited.

That doesn't strictly answer the stacking question though, and I've only just started so I'll find out as well.

Yes, they can stack, but your move was not entirely legal. Sith Holocrons are limited, and you can only play one limited card per turn. If you play one on turn one, then a second on turn 2, you could then sacrifice both to reduce the next Sith card by 6.

Incorrect, the Holocron is a Sith card, so with both Holocrons on the board, you would only reduce price of the final card Sith played after the last Holocron - by 3.

Example:

Turn 1

You play a Holocron

Turn 2

You play another Holocron and have Palpatine (cost 6) in your hand

You spend the first Holocron to reduce the cost of the next Sith card by 3 - which is another Holocron with a BASE cost of 0..

To reduce the price of the NEXT Sith affiliated card - which is Palpatine, by 3.

The final cost of Palpatine is still 3 resources.

TL:DR Sith Holocrons are limited (you can max play one per turn) and they don't stack.

They can indeed stack. Just be careful not to sacrifice the first Holocron before playing the 2nd. The problem with Keffisch's example is that you can play the 2nd Sith Holocron, then sacrifice each of them in order to stack their effects.

Incorrect, the Holocron is a Sith card, so with both Holocrons on the board, you would only reduce price of the final card Sith played after the last Holocron - by 3.

Example:

Turn 1

You play a Holocron

Turn 2

You play another Holocron and have Palpatine (cost 6) in your hand

You spend the first Holocron to reduce the cost of the next Sith card by 3 - which is another Holocron with a BASE cost of 0..

To reduce the price of the NEXT Sith affiliated card - which is Palpatine, by 3.

The final cost of Palpatine is still 3 resources.

TL:DR Sith Holocrons are limited (you can max play one per turn) and they don't stack.

it reduces the next [sith] card you play, so, if you play the second Holocron and then sacrifice both, you get to stack and reduce by 6.

there is nothing to suggest that if you have both on the table, you couldn't stack them by sacrificing both.

Edited by stormwolf27