Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yoink101

PSA: ordnance v ordinance

55 posts in this topic

I've see this come up a few times and it bothers me. I'm a little bit of a grammar nazi, and I apologize. ...

Perhaps, when one is being a grammar Nazi, one should know how to conjugate a verb. Nothing takes away your "expert authority" faster then making an error on the second word of your post, in the same area you're presuming to lecture others on.

When communicating using the first person singular, the present perfect form of the verb "to see" is "have seen".

It's a universal law of semiotics that anyone making a corrective "grammar Nazi" post will make at least one spelling, grammar, or syntactical error.

Ordonance

... I think thats french

"Ordonnance" (double "n", from the verb "Ordonner" = "to order"), would be the French for "Ordinance".

For "Ordnance", it would be "Artillerie".

Using "ordonnance" in French when it comes to the army would designate a "soldier assigned to the service of an officer".

"Ordonnance" is also a "medical prescription"

Since this is a grammar/spelling PSA, I'll share another. Be aware of the difference between "lose" and "loose." I see that one a lot.

Beware! Pilots are loosing their actions all over the boards!

(P.S. that's the incorrect usage).

Cerealthief likes this

What literally makes me explode is when people misused the word figuratively. Even worse when they combine it with the wrong their, their, they're. I mean, I don't understand what their thinking.

Sometimes I wonder if they should be killed alot for not putting spaces between words which are clearly two words.

KineticOperator and NotBatman like this

Darth grammar be thy name. Your new official call sign. Thanks for the correction. My phone did not know the difference. I knew both spellings existed but not which was which. I know I have been guilty of getting this one wrong. I won't disappoint you again, Darth Grammar.

I *sort of* do grammar stuff for a living and I didn't know this one, so thank you! Aside from having grey and gray stuck in my head almost as if they were two separate colors, (the e one being more of a cool bluish sort of grey), I can't stand when people say turrent instead of turret. It comes up in so many different games...

Your kidding me, their is two spellings?  I should of known that.

I see what you did there, but I'm concerned that pressing "Like This" would only constitute further encouragement. :)

I wonder if the "should of" was another intentional error, or was just the standard sloppy use of the English language.

Khyros,

I insure you, Vorpal and me got the bad grammar we did.  We speak English good after all.

Now, we just got to wait for the calvary to arrive and effect some changes in how we talk.   :huh:

Edited by KineticOperator
Khyros likes this

I've noticed spell checkers wanting to change ordnance to ordinance although the reason for that is unknown.  Maybe there is an ordinance against ordnance.

Great use of proper English there in post #42 Kinetic Operator.  Are you sure you have the right to/too/two?  Too much machine thinking is going on these days.

KineticOperator and Khyros like this

What literally makes me explode is when people misused the word figuratively. Even worse when they combine it with the wrong their, their, they're. I mean, I don't understand what their thinking.

Sometimes I wonder if they should be killed alot for not putting spaces between words which are clearly two words.

oh deer.

Khyros,

I insure you, Vorpal and me got the bad grammar we did.  We speak English good after all.

Now, we just got to wait for the calvary to arrive and effect some changes in how we talk.   :huh:

Actually, you at least used "effect" properly in that context.

" In a less well-known usage, EFFECT can be used as a verb that means "to bring about" something."

Edited by CrookedWookie

…it occurs to me that in conversations about EU ships in the last week, I've seen a lot of confusion over the difference between "cannon" and "canon". Do you suppose it would help to note that a cannon is a piece of ordnance, where canon is a sort of ordinance? 

Edited by Vorpal Sword