Sign in to follow this  
arkiva

A winter board, and other "massive board" expansions

About a next expansion, if you see the Runebound, they made very nice thematic boards, ice, sands, seas, jungle...

The concept of corner boards is fine, and completes the game in an amazing way... however, they are maybe missing some great odds for to expand the game through big core boards, of the same size that the core game.

Only changing the art and some of the text in the locations, and with a new deck, and maybe miniatures, we would have a WHOLE NEW TALISMAN BASED game with a very different flavor.

So, a winter board... the main is too hot!, hehe, or a sea and islands board... a whole forest, or city board... 

The odds are unlimited. In the way they could improve some rules, inlcuding old faqs, and maybe some Relic ideas.

Edited by arkiva

In these scenarios, winter, prehistoric, etc (someone say 'Timescape' ?)

would the 3 and eventual 4th corners remain in play?  Can you leave a wintry board to go to the City, Forest, etc.

I don't see why, but I guess that's the beauty of your idea.  I'm not really sure I want to add more (many) more cards though. Unless they really helped resolve various problems between various expansions. So, not sure.

Still another thought is how does this change the CoC and endings in general.  In an 'Ocean' main board, is the CoC on an island? For a prehistoric board, I guess volcanoe-cave?

In these scenarios, winter, prehistoric, etc (someone say 'Timescape' ?)

would the 3 and eventual 4th corners remain in play?  Can you leave a wintry board to go to the City, Forest, etc.

I don't see why, but I guess that's the beauty of your idea.  I'm not really sure I want to add more (many) more cards though. Unless they really helped resolve various problems between various expansions. So, not sure.

Still another thought is how does this change the CoC and endings in general.  In an 'Ocean' main board, is the CoC on an island? For a prehistoric board, I guess volcanoe-cave?

One could even have a prehistoric island in an ocean expansion.

Oh yeah, I am with you on Timescape, but once again we are in the minority.

And as I may have shared before, I am not against more cards. The more the better for me.

Maybe these other big boards can be another regions of Talisman, or another seasons of the same region. For a playable reason, the first option, i think. So we would have all of our current Talisman with expansions... and the NEXT core board would be a next level, with rules for more powerful characters to explore new regions of Talisman... like, so, the Winter Realm, the Forest Realm, the Island... etc... besides it would be a chance to upgrade some rules, keeping living the main current scenarios of the game, with the current rules.

The game would be playable by all, old players playing old heroes across the old, current, scenarios of the game, and by new players, with new, more powerful heroes, or a mix of both things, of course!

An expansion like this would be almost a new game, really, but they should include in it a new scenario for the "classic" current board, like bridge between the old and the new big board... Something like: In the search of the Winter Realm. The victory would be the discovery of the Doors to the new realm, for example, and maybe the winner player would have any advantage in the new board/region/expansion...

And yes, Timescape could be one! 

I´m sorry if i can´t express myself better... i am from Madrid (Spain)!

Edited by arkiva

Maybe these other big boards can be another regions of Talisman, or another seasons of the same region. For a playable reason, the first option, i think. So we would have all of our current Talisman with expansions... and the NEXT core board would be a next level, with rules for more powerful characters to explore new regions of Talisman... like, so, the Winter Realm, the Forest Realm, the Island... etc... besides it would be a chance to upgrade some rules, keeping living the main current scenarios of the game, with the current rules.

The game would be playable by all, old players playing old heroes across the old, current, scenarios of the game, and by new players, with new, more powerful heroes, or a mix of both things, of course!

An expansion like this would be almost a new game, really, but they should include in it a new scenario for the "classic" current board, like bridge between the old and the new big board... Something like: In the search of the Winter Realm. The victory would be the discovery of the Doors to the new realm, for example, and maybe the winner player would have any advantage in the new board/region/expansion...

And yes, Timescape could be one! 

I´m sorry if i can´t express myself better... i am from Madrid (Spain)!

wow you inspired anew idea, we have day/night, lets have a weather expansion! Snow storm move only 1, Rain storm move minus 1. Certain characters and monsters get a -1 attack in winter and so on.

Currently there seems to be little potential for other 'change-agents' such as Day/Night.

So might as well go with weather.

I like the idea of more challenging cards in this new Winter/etc board... then I read other posts about people getting killed in 10 or 20 turns and remember that the deck is rather large.  Let's face it, we'll all still play I bet.

:)

Another idea would be a public contest for Talisman... something like:

This is an idea for to let the players to make their own expansions in new boards with new art provided by Fantasy Flight:

I have a very simple and great idea for Talisman, for your consideration:

expansions of only board in various scenarios (winter, sea and islands, forest... of the same size than the core board. The really important is the art, the board itself) for the players to make it.

Maybe downloable of your web. A bit like Descent Vault.

You could make a contest, with winners and so, for the best text ideas for the different "lore-game" artistic motifs (pics) in the new thematic boards.

Or maybe, going beyond, to design a creative tool program for letting the players to make an entire new board with new motifs for Talisman,  a bit in the same spirit of the new MMORPG future games, like Everquest Next, but applied to game boards.

I do not think this would be cost effective from FFG perspective.  Also, the best way to have done this would have been to released the game as pieces originally rather than a big board....Maybe for future re-printings?  I am thinking something along the lines of the way Stratego legends boards were printed...or space hulk or Rackham's Hybrid game.  I would buy extra boards....but I don't think many people would.

Talisman is a gigantic world already!

I believe that the addition of the last corner is all we can expect for the future of the 4th edition.

But... I wouldn't mind a small box expanding on the fates concept! :rolleyes:

And...

There could be a Talisman: Realms line of medium sized expansions featuring medium size boards the players could reach from spaces on the main board through adventure cards...

And...

They could make the 4th corner double sided...

And.. OMG MORE TALISMAAAAAAAN!!!!!!

:blink:

I do not think this would be cost effective from FFG perspective.  Also, the best way to have done this would have been to released the game as pieces originally rather than a big board....Maybe for future re-printings?  I am thinking something along the lines of the way Stratego legends boards were printed...or space hulk or Rackham's Hybrid game.  I would buy extra boards....but I don't think many people would.

This is The Thing! Great, great idea... The base of the board would be an empty puzzle without pieces, and we could compose the entire board game with interchangeable tiles, or groups of tiles. Each set of tiles being a new realm expansion!

It could be made on the current main board, or, maybe, it could be a whole new Talisman system based game.

Edited by arkiva

Back in the late '70s/early '80s there were two games that had tiles which could change the landscape of the game.

Same company, different themes and tone.  One was The Sorceror's Cave

and the other was the Mystic Woods, which I've commented on here before. It's been so long, but at one point in the play, tiles or certain tiles would be flipped over to reveal a "mystic" side (off-coloring, mostly) and I guess that meant play aspects altered somehow.

I don't really remember much, but in the mentioning of it, I thought the final presumed Forest/Woodlands corner board could pay a homage to it, seeing as there is a Mystic in the Village, on the corner where the resumed Woodlands would fit.

I guess I *would* like a board that that could hold a smallish Village set of spaces for encounters, and then the rest devoted to more woodsy themes and such.

Any expanded concept of the Village should be a mirror of sorts, to the City. You should be able to level up or procure items or things - but - While the City has money to cause these things to happen, perhaps the emphasis in the Village is learning or earning instead.

A Good Witch's Cottage, where a player might spend a turn, but "learn" how to make potions (new card decks) or other things which heal, etc.

Become the apprentice to the Village blacksmith, for a turn and be able to repair weapons or metal things

and of course training options with the Mystic itself, maybe even working up the long awaited new uses or ideas behing Fate - Dark and Light?