Sign in to follow this  
The_Brown_Bomber

What improvements could be made to x-wing gameplay?

a good overview of the basics. some nice points made about needing extra ships and the 'clunkiness' of moving tokens with ur ship.

I think there may be a solution out there to dragging tokens around the board (in terms of gameplay) - perhaps a small 'notch' made in the target lock and stress tokens so they can attach to the base peg?

There are enough companies out there making acrylic tokens and accessories I am sure this small improvement would be possible.

any other suggestions that might smooth or improve x-wing gameplay or mechanics?

"any other suggestions that might smooth or improve x-wing gameplay or mechanics?"

In general,

Reduce the luck factor involved when rolling dice. The "event curve" is simply too big per ship. I have flown perfectly and taken the right actions for the specific situation in so many games now, only to have the dice whiff. The worst case was my Wedge with TL at Range 1 of an enemy X-Wing and I only generated 1 hit - which was evaded by his 1 die. 4 blanks, rerolled with TL to 1 hit..

I have seen a TIE take out Soontir /w Stealth at range 3, through an Asteroid 1 hit, 1 direct crit vs all blanks...

In a dice game this happens, but I see an average of one game like this in every tourney I've been to and while its good when it happens to my opponent and not so good when it happens to me, in my humble opinion - it shouldn't be like that to begin with.

I see X-Wing as more of a dice and movement game than a game involving tactics (in the traditional sense mind you).

Fix that and games could and should be more smooth.

Other things,

Fix Darth Vader (and TIE Advs in general) - he is overcosted.

I mean, 1/3 of my points on a 2 attack platform ? When I can just field a Bounty Hunter for 33? Not thematic, not iconic = not good.

Fix Marek Steele and Winged Gundark - they are basically useless

Fix Arvel, e.g. by lowering his PS, so you can actually use his ability reliably. See above.

Edited by Keffisch

wow, where to start...

> fixing useless/ underused ships and cards. Things like Maarek, Winged Gundark, TIEadv in general, Ywings without EPT, Awings, Daredevil, elusiveness, etcetc....

> Missiles and torps need some major buff

> being more realistic about crits, and how useless they generally are. 3 points for marksmanship is seriously not worth it. Same for Winged Gundark and merc copilot.

> on the topic of crits, we need more variations that could also target the new ship upgrades, eg. sensors, mines, etc

> PTL is too strong. absurdly strong in fact. There are so many things that must use PTL nowadays it isnt even funny. TIEint, Awings, Xwings with engine upgrade, Bwings, TIEbombers, and we have not touched on ships that COULD consider PTL, ships like falcon + MF title for eg.

> I'm ok with pegging upgrades to a specific type, but do also come up with new stuff for them. We havent had a new astromech since wave1
> Could do with more drastic variations in maneuvers between ships. Like right now Awing and TIEint is so similar that there's virtually no difference, same for TIEadv and Xwing, Ywing and HWK, etcetc
> Bwing and TIEbombers has waaaaaaay too much hp. TIEbombers should have 5 hull and Bwings 4 shields

Edited by Duraham

We haven't had a new ship that can use an Astromech since Wave 1. Unless you are suggesting they bundle cards with ships that can't be used by them.

I see your point, but there's also the fact that everyone has a ship that can use it, since the core set came with an X-wing.

We haven't had a new ship that can use an Astromech since Wave 1. Unless you are suggesting they bundle cards with ships that can't be used by them.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an astromech or two in the Rebel Transport, since it's coming with an X-Wing and new pilots.

The group I play with simply puts all tokens on the cards. Much easier.

My group does that also. 

Missiles/torpedoes need something to make them better since they are one shot weapons. 

TIE advances need to be reworked some how.  They are just not worth taking.

Unique pilots need something to make them worth using over just playing more cheap ships.  Do something more with their pilot skill like make them survive longer vs lower skill pilots.  Maybe add more defense dice or reroll defense dice.

B-wings are becoming a problem in my area because of of thier high attack and health.  We have seen a couple of players using 4 B-wings with fire-control systems, and they destroy non-swarm empire squads.  Most of my group likes to try different lists, and a few core players are having a real issue with 4 B-wing lists.  Unique pilots and TIE Interceptor are disappearing because of this. 

I always felt that they should not grant the evade action to ships, but instead tag it to named pilots

so for eg: rookie Xwing has target lock / focus, but Garven Xwing has targetlock / focus / evade

Academy TIE has focus / barrel roll, but Winged Gundark has focus / barrel roll / evade

The Target Locks would be easier if they were like VASSAL. There is only 1 lock token and it has a number on it that corresponds to the attacker. It is then placed on the defender.

Putting the blue target lock and focus tokens on the attackers ship card sounds like a good idea to reduce mistakes and clutter.

Torps and missiles would be perfect if FFG steals something from Attack Wing*gasp*....  Turn the card face down and use an action to reactivate the missiles/torps.

Torps and missiles would be perfect if FFG steals something from Attack Wing*gasp*....  Turn the card face down and use an action to reactivate the missiles/torps.

Like reloading?  I like that, but there would still be a problem w/the card's cost. It would need a variable cost based on the ship its attached to, since you'd get more use out of them on sturdier ships.

Balance changes. After wave 4 comes out, and has some time to let the new abilities settle down, I would be OK with a giant balance "patch" that fixes a lot of various things all at once. This isn't like Starcraft 2 where you can roll out a new balance patch every month, but the game tactics and squads would become much more diverse if everything was properly balanced. The obvious downside is that the old printed cards would be inaccurate, which can be annoying if you're talking about ship point costs, the way abilities work, etc. Still, I think it would be worth it, if done correctly.

I am OK with TIE Fighters costing only 12, and PtL being amazing at 3 points, these are kind of the golden baseline to base everything else off of. I would rather buff the abilities and ships are extremely overcosted, or fundamentally broken and will never see use competitively.

A few that come to mind:

• Expose (absolute garbage, see my detailed post in the other thread)
  • Opportunist - not as bad as Expose but it's still inferior to PtL in almost any scenario. I'll make a more detailed post on this later.
  • TIE Advanced -  this is absolutely the worst ship in the game by points, by far. Even the shuttle has its uses and can actually be competitive (doom shuttle, suicide Vader).
  • TIE Interceptors are slightly overcosted, though not nearly as bad as the TIE Advanced.
  • A-Wings are slightly overcosted.

There are quite a few more. I have been thinking about making house rule modifications to some of them, just to make them useful.

Edited by MajorJuggler

But they aren't a reusable item on such ships.. it works well for Capitol ships due their large storage areas/capacity.. All tops and missiles should be one use items.. just cut the costs by 1.

I don't see where people complain about one use items.. it's not like it's a laser cannon or such..

My 2 biggest changes would be:

1) The "If a rookie cuts off Wedge he should die rule".

• Ship bumping a ship of equal or higher PS act normally. 
  • Ship bumping a ship of lower PS have the option of stopping just short of base-to-base contact w/the other ship. They still lose their Action, but can now shoot at the ship in front of them.

2) Replace Defensive Dice w/a Target Number. You could still have skills and abilities that allow players to roll defensive dice in certain situations.

In general,

Reduce the luck factor involved when rolling dice.

I think this is because ppl often get the ships that rely maily on the dice.

If you get ships like a-wing, thet are counting more on their ability to outnavigate the enemies then how hard they hit, you will get other results

...stay behind the enemies and they will die sooner or later.

I dont count on them going back and changing the game. The rules and the cards are as they are, but they might counter some effects by new upgrade cards.

I hope for cards that are good for either movement, against swarms or against large ships.

eg

-Ability to move 0

-extra defence when hit by multiple enemies

-extra attack when hitting large ships.

also

flares (drop as a bomb, remove TLs within 1 of it)

defence computer (get TL on th ship that hit you)

But they aren't a reusable item on such ships.. it works well for Capitol ships due their large storage areas/capacity.. All tops and missiles should be one use items.. just cut the costs by 1.

I don't see where people complain about one use items.. it's not like it's a laser cannon or such..

We're not talking about magically reusing the same torpedo over and over. Its called ammo. The X-Wing carries 6 torps, the Y has 8. Personally, I'd let a player put as many Torps on a ship as he wants, but limit the rate of fire to the # of torp icons on the ship's card. So an X-Wing could fire 1 torpedo/turn while a Y could fire 2. (that would give the gunner something to do ;) )

Same deal with mines/bombs.