Sign in to follow this  
Twn2dn

Canceled effects - timing

When someone cancels shadows Adrienne's response, will the person get to see the plot that is chosen prior to canceling? I think not, but this came up the other day.

The logic for the other point of view is that whenever there is a trigger that reacts with other cards, the player must identify the target as part of playing the card. Another example is Die by the Sword. Does the player identify who is targeted before the opponent decides whether to cancel?

I actually asked Nate French this exact question at Worlds during one of our Melee matches because seeing which plot the person was throwing would have determined whether or not I would cancel it with He Calls it Thinking.

The answer is no.  Him choosing a plot does not mean we get to see which plot is chosen.  That is done during the effects resolution(which is the revealing of this plot).  So, canceling the effect needs to be done without knowing which plot they chose to reveal.

Die by the Sword is different because you actually get to see which card is the target of the effect and choosing targets is done during the initiation of the effect(because that is when you select an eligible target).

I hope that helps and I hope the reasoning is correct(I'm trying to go off memory).

Edited by Bomb