Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Donovan Morningfire

The Unofficial Species Menagerie... The Final Revision (the true "Official" USM Thread)

78 posts in this topic

and right now the GSA's future is up in the air.

Wait what?

The previous editor, Fiddleback, left to go do his own version (Mad Adventurer's Society), and there hasn't been a new editor announced.  Last that was heard was Chris and Dave were considering what to do with the site, as neither of them have the time to cover editor duties, but that was some time ago.

I doubt the information's going to totally disappear, but the few authors left that made regular contributions have been pretty hesitant about submitting new articles, particularly if it's part of a series.  But it does cost money for the server space, so that's something to consider as well.

Frankly, nobody has any solid information on what's going on at this point.

The previous editor, Fiddleback, left to go do his own version (Mad Adventurer's Society), and there hasn't been a new editor announced.  Last that was heard was Chris and Dave were considering what to do with the site, as neither of them have the time to cover editor duties, but that was some time ago.

I doubt the information's going to totally disappear, but the few authors left that made regular contributions have been pretty hesitant about submitting new articles, particularly if it's part of a series.  But it does cost money for the server space, so that's something to consider as well.

Frankly, nobody has any solid information on what's going on at this point.

Okay, I saw Fiddleback had gone to do his own site, but I didn't realize there were dire consequences.   That's a shame, as this is a pretty good resource for us and I enjoy the tie-ins with the Order 66 podcast (or I would, if I listened.)

I'd be interested to know what spec & pricing for hosting, as I've had to acquire numerous VPSes for work and I'm seeing some killer deals lately.   That's  in Chris & Dave's court, right?

I have another question, this time about Herglics. According to Wookieepedia, Herglics are addicted to gambling. Does this mean they should take Discipline checks to see if they can resist the temptation to play (or quit playing)? Or is it something the players should decide themselves whether or not their characters would be drawn in by gambling activities around them?

I have another question, this time about Herglics. According to Wookieepedia, Herglics are addicted to gambling. Does this mean they should take Discipline checks to see if they can resist the temptation to play (or quit playing)? Or is it something the players should decide themselves whether or not their characters would be drawn in by gambling activities around them?

Allowing Herglics to take an extra Addiction 5 Obligation (for the usual benefits) over and above the normal limits wouldn't be too out of line.

Veruca likes this

I'd say that's a roleplaying aspect of things, but of course a Discipline check could be useful sometimes, particularly if the player has chosen a favourite type of gambling activity, be it chance cubes, sabacc or whatever. I'm gifted with players that will make these checks on their own from time to time...

HD's suggestion is a good one too, both beneficial and disadvantageous not only for the player, but the whole group.

Veruca likes this

That's purely a role-playing element, and something that Cyril and I agreed did not need to be reflected via game mechanics.  As HappyDaze noted, if you want your Herglic PC to have a gambling addiction, simply take the Addiction Obligation, either as your base Obligation or as part of taking on extra Obligation when making the character.

There's actually a few species that in prior systems had game mechanics to reflect psychological aspects (Barabal had "Jedi Respect" is one clear example, as are Arconians and their salt addiction), but we felt those were already addressed in EotE's Obligation mechanic.  If playing in a strictly Age of Rebellion game, those sorts of things could make for the occasional story hook, but we didn't want to hose a player with an enforced mechanical drawback that was purely negative, particularly as FFG has taken steps to avoid just that sort of thing outside of trade-offs for starting Wound and Strain Thresholds.

Veruca likes this

Thanks guys, you're really giving some great advice here. :)

If we're going to do some gambling during a session, I'll just ask my player how his character will react to it.

[Edited] Nevermind, I just came across a thread that explained the situation. I should have searched, and I'm not looking to reignite this quarrel.

Edited by Sylrae

This pdf is really useful. I would have never thought about awarding automatic advantages such as in the Zeltron species.

I was about to create the Zeltron and the Togruta according to d20 UAA. Those in the pdf are really close to what I thought they would be like in EotE.

This is a pdf I will often use.

Thanks for your hard work.

ObiWanBilbo likes this

So, it turns out this probably won't be the "final version" after all.

Cyril and I are taking stock of the various species we've done that haven't had FFG write-ups yet, and reviewing them based upon our increased familiarity with the system and in light of some of the rather innovative takes in the official species, particularly in the wake of Enter the Unknown and Suns of Fortune.

There's no time-table on when this "updated" version will occur; much like Duke Nukem Forever, it'll be finished when it's finished.  Though hopefully it won't be several years from now.

I've already added a few more species to the document, and Cyril's got a few more he's looking to include as well.

I'm undecided at the moment about what to do with some of the older species that we did that have gotten official versions.  I might just exclude them, or we might keep them in as a sort of "historical archive" and "alternate selections" for those GMs/players that are less than enthused with the official versions.

I think that I would add a Boost Die instead of an automatic success to the Zeltron's Charm, Deception, and Negotiation rolls.

What is your take about it?

I think that I would add a Boost Die instead of an automatic success to the Zeltron's Charm, Deception, and Negotiation rolls.

This was discussed a lot in a past thread. I'm too lazy to track the thread down, but adding an unconditional boost die to 1 specific skill, and especially 3 specific skills, is a huge bonus, a lot more powerful than any other class feature published so far.

This was discussed a lot in a past thread. I'm too lazy to track the thread down, but adding an unconditional boost die to 1 specific skill, and especially 3 specific skills, is a huge bonus, a lot more powerful than any other class feature published so far.

Exactly.  A boost die is a pretty big deal.

Earlier versions of the Zeltrons had a Boost die to Charm checks, but it was brought up on the d20 Radio boards that doing so made Zeltrons hyper-focused on charm.  Thus, dropping to "add Advantage" but opening the skill selection to make them the social experts they've generally been presented as.

That said, they're getting a second look (pretty much every species is), so we'll see what changes.

kaosoe likes this

I thought it through and I get your point which is a good one.

Adding a Boost die to three skills could provide more successes which is quite a big deal as you said so. And since their pheromones give the Zeltrons bonuses to some social skills (ref.: UAA), it is quite obvious that it gives them an advantage in social situations.

I will analyse other species from another point view from now on.

Thanks

kaosoe likes this

Now, having new species with 3 3 2 2 1 1 and 4 2 2 2 1 1, the combinations to stat species are much more. It may be a lot of work to redo the document, but the gain in diversity is worth the effort :) 

Now, having new species with 3 3 2 2 1 1 and 4 2 2 2 1 1, the combinations to stat species are much more. It may be a lot of work to redo the document, but the gain in diversity is worth the effort :)

The trick is "is there really a justification for going with one of those odd Characteristic arrangements?"

For a lot of the ones that I worked on, the answer is "No."  In some cases, it could lead to crippling overspecialization, making the species a lot less appealing for potential players.  In others, if I were to implement one of those arrangements, it'd be more of a gimmick than what I honestly feel the species should be.

We have one species with a 4 in one skill, but it it intellect. I wonder how different having species options with a 4 in a combat-related skill will be.

We have one species with a 4 in one skill, but it it intellect. I wonder how different having species options with a 4 in a combat-related skill will be.

Dumber than shoe leather I'd imagine......

Depending on the focus of the games / campaign.