Sign in to follow this  
Smenbash

Fleet scale

I would like to know from the community whether we would like to see more capital ships in X-wing.  Would an alternative fleet or capital scale off-shoot game be more fun, feasible, or just look better?

I honestly hope they don't start adding to the mix ships much larger than the CR90.  The Vigil-class and the Action IV are both good looking and scale well, but this is supposed to be a dogfighting game.  I like the idea of starfighters swarming around a larger ship, but if the larger ships get much larger, I'd rather FFG began "Imperial Star Destroyer: MIniature Game".  It is clear from Attack Wing that people enjoy piloting capital ships and that capital ship combat is viable.  Scale might still be a problem in the Star Wars universe because of the sizes of the larger capital ships, but I know for sure that a Imperator-class Star Destroyer would look silly on the X-wing scale, no matter how you fudge it.  That being said, I'd really like to pilot one.

Edited by Smenbash

As much as epic play seems really exciting, this would be cool. Hey, they could even have starfighter squads represented by the minis we already have, but with different rules and stats and stuff. :3

Or.. if they do come out with a Capitol ship game, why not have a couple guys play that, and then on a nearby table play Xwing, and have that game have impact on the large scale game.. seems it would work out fairly well. 

I personally am not a fan of adding too large of ships to a dogfight game, they are cool and all but are, IMO, too much in the way. there needs to be a separate game for them.

I would love to play a fleet action game with stands of fighters representing an entire wing or squadron, and not an individual pilot.

Oh how cool it would be to command an Imperial Star Destroyer against a Calamari Cruiser.

There are over 40 tabletop starship games currently in print, the vast majority of which are generic (non-universe-specific) and have SW capital ships already statted out for them.

I do NOT want cap ships in this game.*

I'll continue buying the grey market SW cap ships because there's a large library of high quality models that are in scale with each other already available. FFG would mess that up.

*And, TBH, I don't want to see this game engine used for SW cap ships. It does not fit at all.

I'm getting excited for Epic play. The capital ships are sounding very interesting, and bringing back memories of moments were I took my fighter against cap ships in video games. At the moment, I would prefer integrating capital ships into this game rather than having an entirely new game to buy. It seems that I will need to get less capital ships in this game than I would have to spend on an entire new game.

The dogfighting game is going no where. They are adding new ways to play with our toys. I fully expect to see larger ships than the Corvette be made eventually.

When an X-Wing is supposed to be 12.5 metres in length and a Victory class Star Destroyer is 900m, there is no way you can integrate capital ships into the game successfully, even adjusting the scale. Keeping it in scale, the Victory would about 11 feet long, and changing to 1:500 would still make it nearly 6 feet long - and that's one of the smaller star destroyers. Mixing scales just doesn't work for the aethetics of the game. Even bringing in the corvette and the rebel transport seems ludicrous to me. The models look great, but the game is about STARFIGHTER COMBAT, isn't it?

I think the basic game mechanics could work for capital ships, but starfighters versus capital ships - no. They are really just an annoyance to the capital ships. The role of the starfighter is to prevent enemy bombers getting to the capital ships and it is these small skirmishes that X-Wing captures beautifully. I think the biggest ships in the game should be the like of Slave I and the Falcon. Anything larger and you're starting to lose the scope of the starfighter combat game.

Capital ship combat is a very different type of combat compared to starfighter combat. 

Have reasonable sized capital ships to scale, and you'd have like a SQUADRON of TIEs on a base the size of the current ones or something.

If they were to make a Star Wars cap ship game with the same basic rules as X-wing... With ISD's and MonCal's being a model about the size of the Falcon. Neb's and CR-90's about the size of the X-Wing or Hawk... and something that represented a whole squad of fighters, like say the current X-Wing = 12 X's.

I'd be all over that.

There are a couple of small lot vendors who do 1/10000 scale Star wars stuff but the size variation is just so drastic as to not make it unplayable. We are talking CR90's at .5”, ISD around 5” to 6” and a Executor near 20”+. Adapted to the FFG flight system would be a good idea and I think Star Trek Attack Wing does a good job doing capital ship combat. Fighters would have to be tokens of some kind similar to Battle Fleet Gothic from GWS. You could also play around with a relative scale system were the CR90 was bumped up a little and the Executor down without to many problems and I think would be acceptable to most gamers. I just think any thing larger then 150M+ is just to big for X-wing. As a fighter based game. This is just my opinion and I don't want to antagonize anyone who wants to play with bigger ships and some of the custom capital ships that have already been produced are fantastic but other then a piece of scenery or a objective marker is about the most they should be used for.