Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eagletsi111

Help with ION Bomb

24 posts in this topic

I'm planning on running a few missions in my league.    To do that I need some input on the Ion Bomb.

I was thinking the following:

5 Ion Bomb Drop a bomb token.   Any targets within 1 must roll 3 attack dice.  If hit suffer 1 damage and count as being Ionized.

What does everyone think?

I like it - not a guaranteed damage, but a very likely one. Not sure on the cost, I imagine somewhere between seismic charge and proton bombs would be good - so 3 or 4 points? Maybe for 4 points make it give 2 ion tokens, that way the effect on a small ship is the same, but a large ship would suffer the ion effect.

I think you should roll 1 attack die only. It's awfully powerful otherwise.

Not really - seismic charge does 1 guaranteed damage to all ships within range 1, the only difference with this is that you would get an ion effect (and the slim chance of missing entirely) I think it is only a tiny bit stronger than seismic charge.

Drop it on a swarm and see what ionizing them all does for you :-)

Under the current suggestion you are not rolling any defense dice so you are almost certain to roll a hit or crit on 3 dice that goes through.

If you want to make it slightly better than the Seismic, just have it auto hit for one damage, just like the seismic, then roll an attack die and on a hit or crit, you get ionized make it 3 or 4 points, probably 3.

How about this:

4 Ion Bomb Drop a bomb token.   Any targets within 1 must roll 2 attack dice and suffer results as a hit from an Ion Cannon

This way if you get lucky, you can still affect big ships too

My Buddy just suggested this:

4 Ion Bomb Drop a bomb token.   Any targets within 1 must roll 1 attack dice, if hit suffer 1 non critical damage and count as being Ionized.   On a critical hit Large ships will be affected.

Many ideas in my head, need to ponder longer before a full reply but my first and strongest thought is

Ion bomb: exactly same process as seismic but no damage just an ion token and 2pt cost

The other is make it 5pts and add a dmg

I would alter it slightly to say:

Any targets within Range 1 must roll 2 attack dice. If you roll a hit or a crit on either die take 1 damage. For each hit or crit rolled take one Ion token and add it to the ship.

Just clears up the intent.

Nice idea overall though :-)

Looks like we are settling on this:

4pts: Ion Bomb: Drop a bomb token.   Any targets within 1 must roll 1 attack dice, if hit or critical hit. Suffer 1 non critical damage and count as being Ionized.   Large ships will only be affected on a critical hit result.

Edited by eagletsi111

Skip the rolling

4pts: Ion Bomb: Drop a bomb token.

Bomb detonates at the end of the activation phase. Any targets within 1 suffer 1 damage and count as being Ionized.

This. All bombs cause auto effects, not rolling. If you want to do an ion mine, then keep with the rolling. 

Skip the rolling

4pts: Ion Bomb: Drop a bomb token.

Bomb detonates at the end of the activation phase. Any targets within 1 suffer 1 damage and count as being Ionized.

This. All bombs cause auto effects, not rolling. If you want to do an ion mine, then keep with the rolling. 

this is what I was getting at, like seismic , no re-roll

and I fully agree if you want a bomb then no re roll and if you want a mine then roll

how does this look

Ion Bomb 4pts

Same as seismic but also take an ion token

Ion Mine 2pts

Same as proximity but one hit/crit result is one damage and one ion token, two hit/crit results =one dmg , 2 ion tokens, 3hit/crit results= 1dmg and 3 ion tokens fairly irrelevant but increased dice roll chances by rolling 3 same as proximity 

TheRealStarkiller likes this

Ion Bomb 4pts

Same as seismic but also take an ion token

Ion Mine 2pts

Same as proximity but one hit/crit result is one damage and one ion token, two hit/crit results =one dmg , 2 ion tokens, 3hit/crit results= 1dmg and 3 ion tokens fairly irrelevant but increased dice roll chances by rolling 3 same as proximity 

I would agree with this, but on the bomb, I'd add the condition that if your base is touching the token take 2 ion tokens.  That way big ships can get in on the fun too.  All ion tokens are discarded at the end of activation anyway, so no reason not to pile on.  

Ion Bomb 4ptsSame as seismic but also take an ion token Ion Mine 2ptsSame as proximity but one hit/crit result is one damage and one ion token, two hit/crit results =one dmg , 2 ion tokens, 3hit/crit results= 1dmg and 3 ion tokens fairly irrelevant but increased dice roll chances by rolling 3 same as proximity

I would agree with this, but on the bomb, I'd add the condition that if your base is touching the token take 2 ion tokens.  That way big ships can get in on the fun too.  All ion tokens are discarded at the end of activation anyway, so no reason not to pile on.

Nice touch

I'd have it cost 3, automatically ionize every ship in Range 1-2, and deal no damage at all.

Alternatively, you could do the above, costing 5, and have it deal 2 Ion Tokens on one turn, and 1 to the effected ships on the second (Ionize Large Ships for 1 turn, and Smalls for 2).

Edited by DraconPyrothayan