Sign in to follow this  
wraith428

Understanding Range Bands

Started running a game on Roll20 and am using a bunch of old SW Miniatures maps.  The SW Miniatures maps gives me an estimat of distance (since they are all 2 meter squares) even though EotE uses Range Bands.

The PCs were in a room that was roughly 32 meters long and 12 meters wide (say 100 ft x 40 ft aprox).  One on end of the room the PCs were taking cover and other side of the room had some guards.  One of the PCs had a Stun Grenade.

I initially though the room should be split into two parts down the middle so the PCs and Guards were firing at each other at medium range.  However when the PC with the grenade wanted to throw it we noted its range is Short.  It felt odd that the PC couldn't throw the grenade across the room... that instead he'd have to run across the room and then throw it.

So I'm wondering if I misjudged the range bands.  Should the room above have just been one area and Short range to all parts of it?  That would at least make the grenade make sense.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Wraith428

Hey there, mate.

In my opinion, ranges on weapons are shown at wich range they are more precise.

Like for your Stunt grenade at short (close) range you can throw them, lets say, with sniper aim. That your grenade will land were you want it to land.

But if you throw it at greater distance, like in your example, Medium range, then you can miss your marked area or something else would happen. (add one or two setback dice)

Same is for holdout blasters, their range is Short(close), as at that range they are most effective.

That doesnt mean that they wont be abel to shoot targets at medium range.

If you exceed your Range band on weapon items, just add one or more setback dices, to show that Holdout blasters at longer Ranges are not as precise as other weapons.

Similar to grenades, Add one setback dice if it exceeds its Range band. And say that it is harder to land your thrown grenade were you want from that distance.

I hope this will help.

Setback dice seems a bit generous, to me.  How about:

"MAX" |      DISTANCE TO TARGET
RANGE | CLOSE | MED.  | LONG  | EXTR
-------------------------------------
CLOSE | Dif 1 | Dif 3 | Dif 5 | N/A
MED.  | Dif 1 | Dif 2 | Dif 4 | N/A
LONG  | Dif 1 | Dif 2 | Dif 3 | Dif 5
EXTR  | Dif 1 | Dif 2 | Dif 3 | Dif 4

EotE / SAGA distances (based on number of d20 "Move 6" maneuvers required to shift brackets):

Close  = 2-7 squares

Med. = 8-13 squares

Long = 14-35 squares

Extr = 36-"I think I can see him.  If I squint."

Edited by Col. Orange

I don't know, but throwing a grenade some 30 metres (within the Medium Range band I agree), isn't that pretty well done at the best of times? Sure trained soldiers and throwers could probably throw it further than short range (some dozen metres or so), but I'd say that's what the Strong Arm talent is for.

As for effective range and going beyond it. There's already a talent in the game that lets you do it, even an attachment for rifles.

I don't know if more rules are needed to go beyond the effective range, but each to his (or her) own I guess.

Edited by Jegergryte

I don't know, but throwing a grenade some 30 metres (within the Medium Range band I agree), isn't that pretty well done at the best of times? Sure trained soldiers and throwers could probably throw it further than short range (some dozen metres or so), but I'd say that's what the Strong Arm talent is for.

As for effective range and going beyond it. There's already a talent in the game that lets you do it, even an attachment for rifles.

I don't know if more rules are needed to go beyond the effective range, but each to his (or her) own I guess.

I believe this discussion came up in a previous thread and someone in the armed forces chimed in and informed everyone that typical modern grenades are pretty heavy and not as easy to throw as they appear. With that being said, I'm a firm believer that Star Wars shouldn't reflect real-world physics. So lob away, my friend. Lob away.

I'd be hesitant with extending the range for grenades to Medium at all, not because you couldn't throw them that far but because their likely to bounce both unpredictably and far when they land causing them to be pretty useless unless it's a confined space or you're throwing it into a large scattered mob. In any case if a PC wanted for whatever reason to still try I'd up the difficulty of getting it to land where you want by a couple of dice at least. I wouldn't add Setback dice but full Difficulty or even swap to a Challenge die.

Setback dice are for representing outside or other factors that affect an attempt, Difficulty dice are for increased difficulty. Trying to hit a target further away is more difficult so you add Difficulty dice. It may also have other factors that make success less likely (wind, rain, trees, whatever) and for those you'd use Setback dice.

Edited by FuriousGreg

Thought about Challenge dice, but didn't think it'd be more likely to bounce all the way back to you, or any other Despair-type effect.

It may not bounce back at the PCs from Medium range but it could hit some intervening object and bounce back, or because throwing it further could expose them to fire they could get hit by enemy blaster shot or maybe the nade just slipped out of their hand landed at their feet. Remember a combat roll isn't just the actual attack but a whole series of things that happen that include the PC's attack so if the PC rolls a Despair or enough Threats you could say that the nade misses the target area and the PC gets hit by an enemy blaster shot when they exposed themselves rather than have the nade explode and damage them. Or if there was the potential of valuable or dangerous equipment being destroyed, damage to a critical structure (that negatively affects the PCs) or innocent bystanders killed, there are plenty of ways to justify the use of a Challenge die.  

Edited by FuriousGreg

It may not bounce back at the PCs from Medium range but it could hit some intervening object and bounce back, or because throwing it further could expose them to fire they could get hit by enemy blaster shot or maybe the nade just slipped out of their hand landed at their feet. Remember a combat roll isn't just the actual attack but a whole series of things that happen that include the PC's attack so if the PC rolls a Despair or enough Threats you could say that the nade misses the target area and the PC gets hit by an enemy blaster shot when they exposed themselves rather than have the nade explode and damage them. Or if there was the potential of valuable or dangerous equipment being destroyed, damage to a critical structure (that negatively affects the PCs) or innocent bystanders killed, there are plenty of ways to justify the use of a Challenge die.

True enough.