Sign in to follow this  
Emirikol

Weigh in on FFG not being able to keep 3e afloat

If they stop develope wfrp 3 without a word, without elves supplement and other stuff that will mean that ffg company is just a joke and I will not buy any of their products in future. I hate whan Company dont give a **** about customers, dont talke to them cant do a single post on forum... . Look at computer games company like Blizzard they know what people dont like about their games they talk to people and try change games for better. FFG cant even make single post at forum... its joke

If they stop develope wfrp 3 without a word, without elves supplement and other stuff that will mean that ffg company is just a joke and I will not buy any of their products in future. I hate whan Company dont give a **** about customers, dont talke to them cant do a single post on forum... . Look at computer games company like Blizzard they know what people dont like about their games they talk to people and try change games for better. FFG cant even make single post at forum... its joke

The problem with forums is that once members of the staff start to reply, they have to listen to verbal abuse, absurd assumptions (like yours) that put words in their mouth like "they don't care, they are just in it for the money" and other such like minded nonsense anyway. Just look at the Wizards of the Coast forums.  As soon as a member of the development or production teams makes a post or writes a blog with their opinion or plan, the forums explode with ridicule, over analysis and countless "geniuses" in the community that "understand" what they "actually meant".  Its a cycle of bull and there is no reason at all for them to get involved, the forum community represents a very small minority of their customer base which has virtually no relevance on sales, customer service or decision making.

Fantasy Flight Games is one of the best game making companies out there and the reason they are so successful is that plainly put they make the best games.  They make hit after hit after hit, the fact that they don't respond to stupid comments on their forums is not a reflection of how much they do or don't care, its simply a smart decision to avoid engaging with rabid fans who don't even bother to spell check their posts as they insult them.

Right now WFRPG 3.0 is not cancelled.  Perhaps it will be, perhaps it won't.  As it stands with what is released its already an amazing product.  The decision as to whether or not to continue with the line will be based on sales, not on the opinions of a minority forum opinion.  

Are you joking Kahuna ??? In the WH40k line they made so many rules mistakes that you could fill a book only with the errors! The adventures they made are filled with plot holes and are too simple made for gullible mindless players.

They don't care at all even to update component list or to complete a decent FAQs.

WFRP3 was something new but I m sure it has never been really play tested.

Also they threw in a lot of totally not useful component (tokens, unnecessary cards and similar) that even if you like the system with narrative dices and action cards you cannot be happy for the final supplement price.

If you say the make the best gmes perhaps you refer to boardgame but their rpgs and customer care policy cannot even be called decent.

I stated it on the other thread, but my guess is that we see a 4th edition a year after Force and Destiny is released. The smart move would be to adapt WFRP to the updated Star Wars system (modified for WH).

If they really wanted to capture their SW players (which is a potentially larger audience than current 3rd ed), then they would ensure you could use your SW dice for the new game – maybe produce new dice for WH, but have them be reskinned SW dice so people could move straight from that game to this if they already had some. 

I'm afraid speculation is useless. FFG are a hard nosed business, that is why they are so successful. At the moment they are concentrating on Star Wars and 2nd Edition Dark Heresy. Maybe when they have the manpower they will then have a look at WFRP. From a hard nosed business point of view a 4th Edition is their only option. One potential fly in the ointment may be that by the time they start to look at it again, the license will be up for renewal again.  Who knows then! A beta test will be obligatory, particularly as the 3rd edition was not tested well enough.

I would buy a 4th edition for sure, if it used the SW system and dice. Especially the idea of reskinned SW dice, so that if you want to, you can simply use the same dice. But from a business point of view, that may not be a good idea.

also does this need any more products?  It's not hard to make up things for yourself.  I haven't bought anything since heroes call and I think I have way too much content, not to mention all the extra goodies like the fan elf supplement and the two 3rd ed liber fanaticas which are both pretty great. 

I would like if the game would expand outwards of the Empire, add other humans as starter races. Maybe a few of the other dwarf holds.

Border princes, Bretonnia. Not sure how they do the Bretonnia careers though. Would they have them as 2 racial types, the knights and the peasants. Each limited to various careers.

Has any WFRP edition ever addressed Elves, I dont mean via fan content. I would like it from a GM position, characters against a High mage for example and their spells. Some form of High Elf or Wood elf adventure like the dwarf one.

Do it like the old ad&d modules. An adventure, some new creature types, a few action cards. Each one could cover an area of the world, its history, map, ideas.

Bretonnia,

Wood Elf forests,

High Elf enclaves or island,

Lustria, Dark Elf lands ( i think this maybe already covered?),

Southlands, which i have never heard done.

East to chaos dwarf lands,

then ogre Kingdoms.

Estallia,

tillia,

border princes.

Undead lands,

araby.

There you go thats 11 products off the top of my head.

If your 1st edition or 2nd edition there is information out there you can hunt down on most of these areas. But for a 3rd Edition person, isnt that much that I know of.

Do you guys think that theme matters?   Personally, I don't like sci-fi.  I like fantasy.  Trying to sell WFRP to star wars/40k gamers just isn't going to happen as easily as we think maybe.

Judging by the popularity of guns over crossbows in the miniatures wargame, its smart to pour your resources into the more popular of the two: sci-fi..but the two types of players dont necessarily mix do they?

Edited by Emirikol

Do you guys think that theme matters?   Personally, I don't like sci-fi.  I like fantasy.  Trying to sell WFRP to star wars/40k gamers just isn't going to happen.

Judging by the popularity of guns over crossbows in the miniatures wargame, its smart to pour your resources into the more popular of the two: sci-fi..but the two types of players dont necessarily mix do they?

I don't know. I like both settings a lot. I will admit that it's FFGs version of the SW setting as they present it in EotE that I like. It's almost like a warhammer version of SW.

Do you guys think that theme matters? Personally, I don't like sci-fi. I like fantasy. Trying to sell WFRP to star wars/40k gamers just isn't going to happen.

I don't know. I like both settings a lot. I will admit that it's FFGs version of the SW setting as they present it in EotE that I like. It's almost like a warhammer version of SW.

I enjoy and run both at my table but I also believe that GM's like us are the exception more than the rule. I have one player that shows up for both, but the other 7-8 folks definitely fall into one camp or the other concerning theme. System-wise I'm glad that there are differences between the two games and that one is component heavy while the other one is so far light. If a WFRP 4E existed that was basically EotE with a fantasy skin I wouldn't invest in both games. Given the cost of a complete FFG product line why would I? Unless I just had money to burn it would be pretty silly. For the cash and prep time I'd be better off at that point embracing Savage Worlds or Fate (read: universal toolkit-style system) and plugging the setting my group wanted to play into it. Ultimately, from a business point of view, this is why I'd expect FFG to either evolve the narrative dice system even further or go in a totally different direction for a WFRP 4E. Given the smaller demographic it just wouldn't make sense to reskin Star Wars and try to sell it. That doesn't seem to be their style, at any rate.

Back to the question though, my experience shows that theme does matter. Especially from an immersion point of view...I can tell when a fantasy guy is "making do" at a sci-fi table.

Edited by Keeop

Fantasy Flight Games is one of the best game making companies out there and the reason they are so successful is that plainly put they make the best games.  They make hit after hit after hit, the fact that they don't respond to stupid comments on their forums is not a reflection of how much they do or don't care, its simply a smart decision to avoid engaging with rabid fans who don't even bother to spell check their posts as they insult them.

Agree.

I feel compelled to add my two cents as I am avid FFG gamer.  I am fully invested in Warhammer fantasy & Rogue Trader and own a least a dozen on their board and mini games.  I find them to be the absolute BEST company.  Their products are more expensive than most other companies, but the mechanics and materials are of the BEST quality.  IMO, no one does it better than FFG.  (And unlike other gaming companies, never commit to something they don't produce.  Nothing worse than getting exciting about a product and it never sees the light of day)

As for whether FFG continues to support WRFP, who knows?  They're not a publicly traded company so we have no way of knowing how well this game is doing?  I've never seen a huge demand for WRFP, or SW RPG for that matter, in any local store to suggest either is a runaway product.  This is a FREE MARKET!  If you feel FFG doesn't do a good enough job communicating with its customers, or support their existing lines, then don't buy from FFG!  

As for content, there is tons of material currently available.  I have more stuff for WRFP than I'll ever know what to do with? My MTG collection was smaller!  I doubt very highly that someone has explored everything there currently is to offer.

And if you're looking for inspiration, Warhammer is oldest, running, universe in the history of gaming.  Maybe 30 years!  There are sourcebooks, fiction, army books, etc., and I think WRFP 3E is one of the easiest systems to convert from others.

And my very last point for you GM's...many of us spent 15+ years roleplaying with a DM guide, a player's guide, and the MM. Grow a set and start creating.  There's some great content on this forum.  Get back to basics if you have to.

So grab a coke, beer, some pretzels, smoke a bone, whatever.  Just relax and have some fun.

And Sigmar bless FFG for doing the most amazing job with 3E!

As said above- FFG clearly has tried with a butt load of expansions to keep this game supported, including the print on demand spell sets. The only thing I wish they had done differently, which I have mentioned before, is a $30 "Starter Box." Having an initial buy in of $100 was a little discouraging to some, I imagine.

I still do not think they are planning a WFRP 4. More likely a 3.5 which would be fully compatible with WFRP3. If it is not compatible, I know I would not buy it. I've invested too much to change.

I think it would be neat to see a new edition. 

One thing they did with 2E was to release some of the older material as PoD.  I think that's a great move.  It's fair to the fans and it brings FFG the $$$ with no production cost. 

With 3E specifically - they could alleviate some fan rage by adding the cards to the PDFs they've already released, so that people could have access to the material.  Especially beneficial to people that had already purchased it, too. 

Obviously, this wouldn't happen until they've sold through most of the (physical) line.

It's curious that the website says that the core set is reprinting, but that was back in August... ?

Edited by LordPasty

As much as I like Warhammer, I'd love to see a Midnight Setting book or two with this system. I like how Star wars is a bit of a more streamlined system then WFRP, maybe that's where the system is heading, maybe not. Either way FFG has my loyalty and probably my money when they release new stuff for Warhammer.