Sign in to follow this  
HAWK70

printed modles

It also depends on the material,., but fine primer after a warm water brush is always good.I have found that frosted detail minis sometimes look better without primer, but maybe it is just me.

You'll want to use a primer like Mr. Surfacer 1500 or maybe even 1000, which will get rid of the grainy texture.

Thanks, that's the one thing that has stopped me purchasing. This doesn't remove any actual detail, just gets rid of surface defects?

Edited by Rodent Mastermind

You'll want to use a primer like Mr. Surfacer 1500 or maybe even 1000, which will get rid of the grainy texture.

Thanks, that's the one thing that has stopped me purchasing. This doesn't remove any actual detail, just gets rid of surface defects?

Yes, though you'll definitely want to get more than one grit and figure out which one is the one you need. Like sandpaper, the higher the number the smoother it is, though I think 1500 might be enough to get rid of the graininess without losing too much detail. It can also be used as a liquid putty to fill in minor defects like seam lines and divots.

I have not had much luck sanding this medium, perhaps others have, but I find it isn't sanding friendly. This is also why I tend to purchase FD or UFD material... it doesn't come out 'fuzzy'

I have purchased WSF for many naval models.  Yes they do come grainy.  Here are the steps I use:

1. Brush with a tooth brush to remove excess material/dust.

2. Apply two heavy coats of brush on clear coat (I use vallejo).

3. Apply spray on gloss coat

4. Apply a Primer (I use Rustoleum grey).

5.  Paint to desireed color

5. Ink and drybrush

6. Spay1-2 coats of clear dull coat

I have had great success with this method and cannot tell my shapeways models from the originals.

DSCN1611_zpsa56c739a.jpg

DSCN1613_zps7a5a789f.jpg

I would not wash them as the materila can be absorbant hence the multiple clear coats.

Once complete there is no grainy affect and they fit in perfectly with the original models.

HTH,

Edited by afilter

Hey afilter, thanks for the info.. I may try that out. Was great bumping into you at Royal the other day lol. Didn't know you were on this board as well.

My first few shapeways bi-wings got multiple coats of gloss and dullcoat before I primed them, but overall they remained fuzzy in my view.. I just got a Z95 headhunter and T16 star hopper in UD they look awesome and I need to finish them, but I think they look much cleaner than the WSF material.. really wish that one didn't come out so grainy