Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marten

Darth Vader (Crew) vs Draw Their Fire?

3 posts in this topic

Couldn't find an aswer.

If I use Darth Vader (crew) to apply a crit, can Draw Their Fire be used to take it on the ship with DTF?

As far as I understand it, NO, you CANNOT use DTF on a crit from Darth Vader (Crew).

Edited by Marten

No, because Vader is not an attack.

To elabamorate, the text of DTF says "when a friendly ship at Range 1 is hit by an attack" (emphasis mine).  Vader says "After you perform an attack," and, "you may suffer 2 damage to cause that ship to suffer 1 critical damage."  

So Vader not only isn't an attack himself, but his effect takes place immediately following an attack.  You could use DTF on a crit caused by the attack that triggered Vader, but not on the crit dealt by Vader himself.

Edited by CrookedWookie

There are several reasons why this doesn't work.  CW hits on the attack element, but DTF and Vader operate on different levels.

Die results --> Damage --> Cards.  An effect can create any of those things, and you follow the flow through to the end point (damage cards).  Once you're at a step, you don't go backwards.

Draw Their Fire moves a die result from one ship to the next.  Vader creates damage.  So Vader never has anything to do with the die results - there's none rolled, and he doesn't create some pseudo-result.  It's just damage, so there's nothing for DTF to latch on to.

As a corollary, this also explains why DTF is useless against Proton Bombs and Seismic Charges.  Both effects skip the results and go straight to either damage or dealt cards.