Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richsabre

Introductory thread/ new player thread

66 posts in this topic

thanks for posting karlson- this was also my first real card game, and in fact remains the only one. i must have spent months prior to the game's release looking for a decent solo ccg and the very month this was released i stumbled upon it....great luck :)

Hey everyone,

I'm Peter, and I live and work in Edinburgh in Scotland. I think I've been on this forum more or less since the beginning of the LOTR LCG but have trouble finding enough time to engage properly with it, so this is both an introduction and an apology for not getting more involved in the excellent community on here!

Always been a huge Tolkien fan, used to read LOTR every Christmas - and actually I should start doing that again - and also like to find solo games, so this one was a perfect match! I also play a lot of other boardgames, and am very fond of the Eurogamer style games (although Arkham and BSG have a place in my heart) but LOTR is the only LCG I have the time or money for at the moment. I don't play as much as I would like, but having recently completed a PhD in Classics (Ancient History) and now starting a job lecturing in Edinburgh has rather cut down on the time I would invest. I tend to try to find interesting (to me) rather than powerful decks, and I have to say I've really enjoyed the new directions that this game has taken recently. Now I just need to find the time to play the new quests more than the once over they get right now!

Hello to everyone,

My name is Dennis, I am from Florida, USA. I have been playing LOTR LCG since the beginning and have been enjoying every minute of it. I am a manager for my local friendly game store so I play the game and many other games quite a bit. I generally play every week with three other players (I am a 4 player!). I play solo quite a bit as well. I started a blog site for a while called Entmoot, though I know I have been lax in updating that page. I too have played LOTROnline. I started playing that game since Beta and I own two life time subscriptions to it. My main server is Landroval but I have not played in some time. My main character there is a 65 Human Burglar. I have also played both MeTW and the Decipher LOTR ccgs. I have read several of the books Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, the Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, Unfinished Tales and working my way into the History of Middle Earth books. You could say I am a fan of Tolkien.

I am very happy to be part of this awesome community of players we have.

Edited by Hastur360

About time to introdcue myself, isn't it?

My name is Jörg, I'm 38 years od and I'm from Hesse, Germany. I'm a teacher for maths and history. Before that I got a degree in Eastern european history and did some economics, too.

LoTR is my first LCG and the only one so far, as my spare time is limited and my friends don't share my interest in fantasy and games (loosers!), which is why I'm playing mostly solo.

richsabre likes this

@hastur360 - thanks for posting. you must have a profession many people here are jealous of :)

@leptokurt -thanks for the introduction- nice to put a name to a name (if that makes sense)

rich

thanks for posting monkeyrama - classicial history is a fascinating subject ;)

rich

It is! Just about the only downside to doing a thesis was having to concentrate so much on such a small area of the whole history (I study about 30 years of Sicilian history, when there are almost no sources, and those that exist are not so reliable...). Rather looking forward to teaching entry level ancient history again if I can weasel my way into the career! Republican Rome is my personal favourite.

richsabre likes this

Craig here,

I'm from Auckland, New Zealand, married and have two daughters. Job wise i'm an sales analyst and I'm quite new to this type of card game.

Auckland! Man that's a mighty fine city!

I actually considered moving to New Zealand after my visit many years ago.

The kiwi's I met were so open and friendly.

And the raw nature is just....breathtaking!

Craig here,

I'm from Auckland, New Zealand, married and have two daughters. Job wise i'm an sales analyst and I'm quite new to this type of card game.

Thanks, really glad coming here was a really positive experience for you. I agree that we have some absolutely stunning scenery.

Did you travel though much of New Zealand?

Edited by chuckles

Craig here,

Thanks, really glad coming here was a really positive experience for you. I agree that we have some absolutely stunning scenery.

Yes, I've traveled extensively through New Zealand; as it is not next door for me.

It's been 11 years, and I can't remember all the places I've stopped, but the route was roughly:

Auckland - Hamilton - Rotorua - Taupo - Napier - Waipawa - Upper/Lowe hutt - Wellington -Ferry to Picton - Kaikoura - Christchurch - Dunedin - Cromwell/Queenstown - Through the national parks up to Nelson - back to Picton/Ferry - other route by Whanganui & Te Kuiti back to Auckland.

Did alot of awsome outdoor stuff! Parachute, Bungy jumping, Scuba diving, Spelunking & lots of trekking.

It'll be alot to tell all about it here tho. Just wanted to let you know that I love NZ ;)

Hey,

I´m Robert from Germany. 29 years old married LOR fan with one little Hobbit that made my day ;) (and takes now allmost all time of the day...)

I already plaied LOR LCG a few years befor. But I was more interested in MMORP that time. No that me time is becoming realy rare I looked for games which do not take the whole weekend ;) So I get back to that fantastic (maybe not perfect balanced but challanging) game.
Sometimes I think about to try LOR Online (free Modus) but still not knowing if it´s worth the time?

So I wish you all a "Guten Rutsch!" as we say in Germany ;) Or in english: Happy new year and a allways perfekt start up hand ;)

Edited by Legoland
player1761766 likes this

Craig here,

Yes, I've traveled extensively through New Zealand; as it is not next door for me.

It's been 11 years, and I can't remember all the places I've stopped, but the route was roughly:

Auckland - Hamilton - Rotorua - Taupo - Napier - Waipawa - Upper/Lowe hutt - Wellington -Ferry to Picton - Kaikoura - Christchurch - Dunedin - Cromwell/Queenstown - Through the national parks up to Nelson - back to Picton/Ferry - other route by Whanganui & Te Kuiti back to Auckland.

Did alot of awsome outdoor stuff! Parachute, Bungy jumping, Scuba diving, Spelunking & lots of trekking.

It'll be alot to tell all about it here tho. Just wanted to let you know that I love NZ ;)

Wow you have probably seen more of NZ that many of the locals... would have replied sooner but I was off enjoying some of the scenery over the Christmas break :D

Yea I get that alot. I’ve been around in my glory days.

I’ve been hesitant to post about it here in the introduction threat though, as it feels quite like bragging to me.

But I just can’t resist to tell people I’ve been to their country when I read where they’re from.

Well, now I’m writing this I might as well introduce myself too. Better late then never.

I’m a Dutchman, meaning I hail from the Netherlands.

My name is Menno, which is a very Dutch name, and I usually introduce myself as Mike in english and Miguel in Spanish to couter the “what?” and “que?” questions.

As some might have guessed from some of my posts, I’ve traveled extencively around the world. For almost 3 years on end, and have been on all continents, and in many countries.

So I’m hereby the self-proclaimed Strider of this community ;)

I’m a bit odd this way though, as on the one hand I love all outdoor stuff, like hiking, biking, rock-climbing, diving, hunting and so on.

And on the other hand, I’m this huge nerd who likes books & video games & rpg’s.

Which explains why I am here. J

Now my traveling days are over and I’m married with children.

I work in the R&D on medicine and spend my days fiddling in a lab.

These two things suck up most of my time now really.

So, nice to meet you all, as I did read all your introductions, and sorry for not introducing myself sooner.

I’ll add that this is a great community with friendly and helpfull people.

And that's is rare on the internet these days.

Keep it up guys, as I like it here; even though I lurk here more then I post.

But me thinks quite a few of you share this trait ;)