Sign in to follow this  
Aerakade

Newbie Question: Stirring in their slumber?

At what point in the game does an Ancient One/Great Old One begin to stir in their slumber? On their cards many of them have abilities that occur at this phase- I'm inclined to think that it happens as the critter is drawn from the deck, but I'd prefer not to make any mistakes.

Thanks a bunch.

Guest Not In Sample

Actually, wrong. If the Ancient One has a "stir in slumber" ability that can affect the fianl battle, it does. For example: Cthulhu's "Dreams of Madness" -1 max sanity and stamina stiring ability is not ignored when he awakens.

kroen said:

Actually, wrong. If the Ancient One has a "stir in slumber" ability that can affect the fianl battle, it does. For example: Cthulhu's "Dreams of Madness" -1 max sanity and stamina stiring ability is not ignored when he awakens.

AND Glaaki continues to spit out Servants during final battle.And Eihort's brood tokens still kill you (otherwise what's the point). But just about everyone else's ability is meaningless in final battle.

Don't say Azathoth, anyone.

Hmn. You could be right.

The rules state that the final battle begins when the Old One awakes from his slumber, so we always played Cthulhu without his "slumber ability".

The Dunwich rules especially mentioned that Glaakis power still takes place during the final battle, and we read Eihorts "slumber ability" as the gain of brood tokens every time you seal a gate, so you'd still get killed by brood tokens during the final battle.

But now, looking on the other abilitys, it kind of makes sense that Cthulhus ability still should work. Gonna play it that way from now on.

Still, one thing makes me wonder. Does Azathoths ability work during the final battle, too? ;D

The matter was clarified by Kevin anyway. You still have -1 to your maximums when Cthulhu awakens, effectively giving everyone 7 rounds before devouration.

Vitus_Prem said:

Still, one thing makes me wonder. Does Azathoths ability work during the final battle, too? ;D

What do you mean? Azathoth's ability determines the final battle! Azathoth knows no slumber or consciousness—only imminent arrival.

The question concerning Azathoth was ment to be a response to

Tibs said:

Don't say Azathoth, anyone.

Haven't found the slumber-thingy in Kevins Answers, but it just seems right.

Here's what I found in the Kevin Answers, but I am still confused.

6. Fighting Cthulhu in R'lyeh as a result of a Dual-Color Other World encounter. Does the investigator suffer from the Dreams of Madness slumber effect to max Sanity and Stamina (assuming that Cthulhu is not the Ancient One of the game)?

No, Cthulhu is not stirring in his slumber. Only the Ancient One chosen for the game ever uses its 'stirring in slumber' ability.

If I start the game with an Ancient One that has some "stirring in slumber" ability, does that effect kick in for the whole game, or only when when the Ancient One wakes up?

Mike

Guest Not In Sample

The whole game.                 

SPOILER FOR ONE OF GLAAKI'S SINISTER PLOTS!!!

Everything I've read and Kevin has written leads me to believe that the stir in slumber ability continues into the final battle.  Yet adding two to the terror track if an investigator is devoured, which is one of Glaaki's abilities, doesn't seem to mesh with one of his Sinister Plot cards.  The Plot in question allows an Investigator to choose to be devoured and roll a die.  On a failure, the terror leven is reduced by one; on a success it is reduced by three.  Glaaki then attacks as normal. 

If the stir in slumber ability carries over, then a failure results in the terror track raising by one in addition to Glaaki's normal attack that turn!  You have to roll a success and even then you'll only effectively cancel Glaaki's attack for that turn.  Is the sacrafice truly meant to be that bad of a deal? 

Haven't drawn that plot till now, but you're right, the deal would suck if his slumber ability would still take effect.

Tibs, what exactly did Kevin state about slumber abilitys?

Did he just mention that Cthulhu's stayes active or definitly say that all "slumber abilitys" keep their effect up for the whole game, final battle included?