Sign in to follow this  
Viceroy Bolda

VT49 Decimator for future wave?

I wasn't familiar with this ship until I stumbed upon it after some sleuthing, but the VT49 Decminator is an interesting imperial ship.  It would give the imps a turret platform to rival the YT series.  If I did my math right, it would be about 5 1/2" long.  Any thoughts?

star-wars-galaxies-jump-to-lightspeed-20

vt49.jpg

I would be guessing that it could have the following stats:

Attack 3 (primary turret)

Agility 1

Hull 6

Shields 6

Focus, Target Lock

Crew, Crew, Missile, Missile

It is bigger than a Lambda Shuttle and appears to have two twin turrets (one above and one below).

it's not that I don't like the ship, but one of the things I like about this game is that the opposing sides play differently. I really would avoid just making them both mirrors of each other by providing both sides with the same ship set ups.

Imps are either elite hitters with glass cannon defense or overwhelming numbers. The Rebels are all mid spec ships that fall in the middle ground. They both play and feel different. I like that and adding the same options to both sides detracts from that.

I had that ship in SWG!  I really liked the look of it a lot.  I do agree that it was basically made to be an Imperial YT-1300, so I don't know if it has a place in X-Wing Miniatures unless they try to make it different in some way.

I wonder if this ship would be big enough to have a tractor beam? 

How big is your tractor beam?

I'm not sure.  What was the smallest ship in the SW universe to be equipped with one?  Also, how would the TB work in this game?  Could it push/pull?  Would the target ship need to be ioned first?  Here is a thought.  Maybe a tractor beam could be an action.  Maybe it could barrel roll maneuver an enemy ship closer to you, or further away. 

I'm not sure.  What was the smallest ship in the SW universe to be equipped with one?  Also, how would the TB work in this game?  Could it push/pull?  Would the target ship need to be ioned first?  Here is a thought.  Maybe a tractor beam could be an action.  Maybe it could barrel roll maneuver an enemy ship closer to you, or further away. 

I like that, under the standard rules for Barrel Roll, not into Asteroids or other ships.

I like that, under the standard rules for Barrel Roll, not into Asteroids or other ships.

I kind-of like that you could barrel roll someone into an asteroid.  Could you also tractorbeam an asteroid?  That would be fantastic. 

Less so, I'd wager, the Jedi Knight games were more successful than Star Wars Galaxies.

But aren't the Royal Guard TIEs from Galaxies?

originally, but they have had a bit of traction elsewhere.

I kind-of like that you could barrel roll someone into an asteroid.  Could you also tractorbeam an asteroid?  That would be fantastic. 

I do as well, but my worry is it might make the card very wordy.

In one of the X-wing series of video games a fighter could be equipped with a TB. Being on a fighter or small ship it only slowed them down. Translating to this game would be like performing an action, target ship has agility reduced by 1 for the current round, or alters it's speed at the start of the next round. 

Back to the VT-49, I would love to see it in a future wave along with the Nova. I'm sure FFG can work things out so it doesn't work identically to the YT-1300.

Edited by Araquay

it's not that I don't like the ship, but one of the things I like about this game is that the opposing sides play differently. I really would avoid just making them both mirrors of each other by providing both sides with the same ship set ups.

Imps are either elite hitters with glass cannon defense or overwhelming numbers. The Rebels are all mid spec ships that fall in the middle ground. They both play and feel different. I like that and adding the same options to both sides detracts from that.

I mostly agree with this except that the Shuttle and Firespray don't fit into this theory very well.

I don't think we will see another imp large ship until wave 5 or 6, certainly not until after the rebels have gotten a second or third one anyway.

I also have to say if you look through the ships in the game ships with 2 lasers have attack 2, ships with 4 lasers have attack 3. Probably the only things that make this screwy are the turrets on the HWK and Y-wing but those are turrets so we won't count them. Anyway I think that means that based on this ships weapon config its probably a 2 attack ship, which might be a bit of a dud on a big ship unless we made is really cheap.

Maybe 2atk, 2agi, 5 hull, 3 shields, 360 arc, large base, evade, target lock, focus, cannon, missile, missile, crew, crew, maybe a system. Cost that around the same as a lambda and give it a middle of the road dial and I think it is adding enough new things to the game that it could be interesting. If the generic one was costed at 20pts then you could have 4 naked ones with howlrunner, that could be an interesting list but wouldn't be broken. Alternatively it has a lot of potential for upgrades and you could maybe run 3 kitted out with upgrades.

FFG can do it! Different dials and upgrades mean more than most people are realizing at this point. We haven't quite cracked the code into point costs and upgrades and dial have to be a part of it.

There is room to maneuver in the current design space but not much. So much will remain the same.