Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Straygeologist

Jan Ors and 2nd Attack via Gunner

11 posts in this topic

When using Jan Ors ability (When another friendly ship at Range 1-3 is attacking, if you have no stress tokens, you may receive 1 stress token to allow that ship to roll 1 additional attack die) to boost Han in the Falcon along with Luke as Crew. If you miss with the first attack with an "additional attack die", do you get it on the second attack initiated by Luke? 

At the table, we ruled it as "no, it just applies to the first attack", but I'd like a rules clarification. 

Thanks!

No you do not.  You immediately preform a primary weapon attack.  Which means that it is a brand new attack.  Therefore Jan has a new trigger opportunity, but since she's already stressed, cannot provide an additional attack die.

What Khyros said.  Separate attacks, so Jan's boost expires before the second one.

As a minor technical note, you can choose to apply it to either attack, not just the first one.  So you could potentially make the first attack hoping to miss but strip tokens from the target, then use Jan to drop the hammer on the second attack.

Just to ask.

When do you have to declare Jan is using her ability.

Eg. I fire with wedge and after looking at his die result but before the defender rolls i decide I could really do with one more attk die to finish the target off, make sure if you will.

Just to ask.

When do you have to declare Jan is using her ability.

Eg. I fire with wedge and after looking at his die result but before the defender rolls i decide I could really do with one more attk die to finish the target off, make sure if you will.

2. ROLL ATTACK DICE

During this step, the attacker calculates how many

attack dice to use and then rolls the dice.

Thus, you decide how many dice you are going to roll, then, you roll.

No 'opportunistic' decisions.

Thanks everyone! I'm glad we ruled this correctly at the table, but we were unsure exactly "why" it was wrong beyond that it felt wrong. The wording of Jan's power in combination with Luke/Gunner's wording makes perfect sense. 

Also from the "Roll Attack Dice" step on pg 11:

The attacker resolves any card abilities that allow him to roll additional (or fewer) dice.

Doesn't get much more explicit than that :)