Sign in to follow this  
DraconPyrothayan

A theoretical Modification that must exist in the Fantasy Flight Design HQ

Effect:
Gain +1 Pilot Skill, +1 Hull, and the Barrel Roll action.

Cost: 8 points.

That is the difference between a Prototype Pilot (A-Wing) and a Tempest Squadron Pilot (Tie Advanced) with Engine Upgrades (to gain Boost, that the A-Wing has naturally).

Except the A-wing's White 1 Turn instead of the Advanced's Green 1 Bank, they have the same maneuver list....ignoring the fact that the A-wing's 2 Turn, 2 Bank, 4 Forward, and 5 Forward are all green to the Advanced's white.

The point difference for the next tier up would have the same Efffect and Cost, except the A-Wing's pilot has an Elite Pilot Talent slot.

Seriously? Seriously. What the crap.

ha.  I missed that somehow.  Too much reading at work.

I think there are some cool things that could be done with the advanced (Imperial aces 2!) but yeah, as of now, least used ship for sure. 

And that's a huge pity. It's got to be the most survivable small-based ship, but it's prohibitively expensive for such a poor offensive option.

To add to this, many people (myself included) believe that the Prototype Pilot is actually overcosted by 1 point compared to the other A-Wings.

EDIT: My point being that you're comparing an overcosted ship to another ship which itself is perceived to be overcosted, so you could argue that the TIE Advanced is even more overcosted than the comparison to the Prototype Pilot makes it appear.

Edited by a4rino

To add to this, many people (myself included) believe that the Prototype Pilot is actually overcosted by 1 point compared to the other A-Wings.

EDIT: My point being that you're comparing an overcosted ship to another ship which itself is perceived to be overcosted, so you could argue that the TIE Advanced is even more overcosted than the comparison to the Prototype Pilot makes it appear.

IIRC, the Academy Pilot TIE Fighter is also 1 point above what the 'formula' should be. I believe it's to avoid 6x A-Wing swarms or 9 TIE swarms.

I don't see how the Prototype Pilot is overcosted compared to the other three. Upgrade slots don't seem to add to the cost. So the Green being 19 (+2pts for the pilot skill), Arvel being 23 (+5 for pilot skill and +1 for ability) makes sense with a 17 pt Prototype. Tycho throws it off, but it makes sense for his ability to be worth 2 points.

I decided to try to figure out how much Tempest should cost by building him up from Prototype Pilot.

• Start with 17 points for Prototype
  • Subtract 4 points to remove boost action
  • Subtract 2 points to remove the A-Wing's green maneuvers*
  • Add 4 points to give barrel roll action**
  • Add 1 point for pilot skill increase
  • Add 3 points for hull upgrade
  • Total = 19 points for Tempest

What do you guys think? Is 19 points appropriate for Tempest Squadron Pilot? This would be the same as a Green Squadron Pilot, which (as a Rebel player who LOVES Green Squadron Pilots) I think sounds pretty fair.

*For the green maneuvers, I figured two points was reasonable. One point for an Astromech slot and one point to put R2 Astromech in it was my rationale.

**Barrel roll doesn't have an associated modification (excluding Expert Handling, which requires an EPS slot and gives stress, so I think it's a bad comparison), but I figured it was fair to value it the same as boost.

I see the math this way. PS generally translates as point per point. So, 1 point for the increase. (7 remaining) Then barrel roll equates pretty well to boost. So there's 4 points, just like the engine upgrade. (3 points left) The hull upgrade, coming out with the imperial aces pack is 3 points. When comparing it to the a wing, I think the price is pretty fair. Especially when you realize how far you can move with two actions by using a boost and a barrel roll, with ptl or vader.