Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saiharris

Template off the board but model not at the end...

30 posts in this topic

"All that is required for evil to fester is for good people to turn the other way."

I'm sorry but while you may have wanted to "stay out" to me the only proper course of action would be to point out the play error and perhaps do a little educating.  Maybe they wouldn't have listened but perhaps they may have said "Oh, so that is how you are supposed to play it?  I guess we've always been doing it incorrectly."

It also really chaps my hide when someone is making erroneous rules claims when it benefits himself.  It is one thing if you find your template "going off the edge" and then believe that ship is destroyed but to me it is completely different when your opponent's template "goes off the edge" and then you tell him that his ship has left the field.  One is you penalizing yourself and the other is you punishing an opponent for not standing up to your erroneous ruling.  In a game between newbies, especially newbies, you should provide proper rule support whenever possible as it can help curb a rude awakening later when they find out they've been doing something wrong the whole time and it is now biting them when it matters.

VanorDM likes this

Sorry to resurrect such as old thread, but as a relatively new player I ran into this situation for the first on my first Vassal game tonight.

In this case, it was my ship that was at risk but I was actually under the impression that I'd lose it (for clarity's sake, it was only the template that went out; the ship started and ended inside).

My opponent and a couple of observers were very cool about it and actually thought i *wouldn't* lose the ship for the reasons mentioned in this thread...but we weren't 100% sure.

just wondering if in the time that has elapsed, has anyone had this confirmed one way or the other in a tournament event or similar?

Any help appreciated..

As has been stated in my previous post in this thread, movement only counts with your bases final position for fleeing the battlefield - the template does not count. However, if you overlap a ship and have to move back along your template to clear your base and you end up outside the play area, you have fled the battlefield and would be destroyed.

You also can't use Advanced sensors and barrel roll/boost out of bound and then try to use your maneuver to jump back inbounds - you are immediately destroyed before you flip your dial over to reveal your maenuver.

what if you can barrel roll or boost back into the play area? Would that count as the final position?

what if you can barrel roll or boost back into the play area? Would that count as the final position?

No. The final position is where you end up at the end of the maneuver, well before your Perform Action step. If you're off the table after the maneuver is finished, you're gone.

Similarly, if you were to Boost off the table, you would flee as soon as the action completes, so you wouldn't have the time to Barrel Roll back on (or vice versa).

Edited by DR4CO
Vorpal Sword and VanorDM like this