Sign in to follow this  
Jaxom08

Question from a Newbie

I just started playing this wonderful game a little while ago and I have been picking up ships and such when I can, Thus far I have 4 Tie Fighters,1 Interceptor,2 X-wings,1 A-wing, a Firesprey and The Falcon with a B-wing to be delivered today......I have the 2nd xwing and the 2 Tie Fighters from buying a second core set.....

My question is where should I go from here? I kinda want at least 2 of all the fighters/fighter bombers ( a,y,x, tie advenced,etc....).

I only play with 1 friend and my wife at the time if that matters at all.

Any input is appreciated!

Many are going 2 of each with the exception of basic Ties and Interceptors for the imperials and Xwings for the rebels.  Many 3 xwing builds and tie swarms of 5-8 ships.

Buy what you like to play if your group is that small.  You'll have fun and that's what matters.  If you start going to leagues and tournaments you can still compete with these lists and as you get better (and win) your collection can grow that way too.

I'd highly recomend the Imperial Aces set that's due out sometime yet this year. 2 Interceptors with new pilots and options.

Typically you'll never go wrong having 4 of most fighters, with the following exceptions.

The 8 Tie Fighter swarm is fairly popular. The 7 Tie swarm tends to do better but both are fun.

There is generally speaking little reason to have more then 1 Tie Advanced. The case could be made for 3 of them. But unless your really, really love them, 1 is enough.

Some people will do 4 HWK's but myself I'd sugest sticking with 1. I'd say 2 or 3 of them is really not worth it. You'll either use 1 for support or try to build a list out of them.

For the big ships, like the Falcon... I only have 1 of each so far, and don't really plan on getting more. The 3 Firespray list is pretty good, but myself I wouldn't throw that much cash at 1 list.

The individual tie and individual xwing expansion both contain some extra pilots you dont get in the core set, so i would say dont forget to pick these up they can be a real help. Also you will often want 5 ties, probably 3 xwings.

Most people go for two of each small expansion maybe 1 of each large.

Partly for ships, partly for the upgrade cards.

Although you play for fun, i would also play a little with just ties and xwings to get a feel for the game before adding in too many new rules and features.

Hope this helps.

Also there is a new interceptor double pack due out towards the end of the year with new pilots and upgrades.

Beaten to it. Oh well.

Good points on the hawk and advanced.

Personally I do have two firespray and love a double firespray list.

Oh and bombers are almost as cheep to fly as ties, i do have three, probably would like another.

Depends on your budget and what is in stock.

The wave one ships are apparently due back in stock soon

Oh and bombers are almost as cheep to fly as ties, i do have three, probably would like another.

So far the only thing I can see that's worth having more then 4 of is the Tie Fighter. Bombers, Interceptors, B-Wings, ect... Typically 4 is the most you'll want.

As Swampthing said it comes down to your budget.

X-Wing is IMO cheep enought that collecting the whole line isn't that costly... Not like buying the whole like of 40k would be. :)

When the Wave 1 expansion packs become available for you I think its almost critical that you add an X-wing expansion and TIE expansion.

Beyond that I would recommend buying just 1 of the others you don't have initially just to see how you like them first. I know some people end up enjoying running multiples of a certain ship but I would try them out first. For me that ship is the B-wing as I am now up to running 3 in a list. As someone else mentioned though you very well may find never needing two TIE Advanced.

And of course some people buy certain expansions just for the upgrade cards.

Find out what you wife and 1 friend like to fly. Go from their suggestions first.

Unless your looking a competitive play down the road, you won't need nearly that many ships. 1 of each, with only the tie fighter being good to have more than one of, is a good amount to have. 

Get the rest of the upgrade cards, and the rest of the pilots.

The X-Wing Expansion has two of the 3 best X-Wing Pilots: Garven Dreis, who passes out focus tokens like candy, and Wedge Antilles, who lowers his target's evasion dice every time he shoots. I think it also has some unique Droids, but I am uncertain.

The Tie Fighter Expansion has THE best Tie in the game, and a pretty good 5 and 6 level pilot as well. The best Tie Pilot is Howlrunner, a level 8 (!!!) pilot, with Elite Pilot upgrades. She lets every friendly ship at range 1 from her re-roll 1 attack die if they're shooting with their primary weapon. I literally haven't run an Imperial list without her since getting her, unless i'm using her Secondary-weapon cousin Captain Jonus (a Bomber). It also comes with Backstabber, who gets Mauler Mithel's bonus die from any range, so long as the enemy ship can't shoot back, and is a point cheaper, and Winged Gundark, who turns a single hit to a crit at range 1, which is surprisingly useful.

The Y-Wing Expansion gives you access to one of the best pilots in the game: "Dutch" Vander. Every time he acquires a target lock, so does another friendly ship at Range 1. Automatically. Pair him with Garven Dreis, and everybody gets all the actions ever. You also get Ion Cannon Turrets, which have a 360* firing arc like the YT-1300, and the rest of the Droids, one of which gives you a chance to reacquire spent target locks automatically.

The Tie Advanced seems a bit overpriced, but is, in my opinion, the most survivable ship in the game. Core stats of an X-wing, with the defensive stats of a Tie Fighter? AND it has Target lock? And that's ignoring the shenanigans from Darth Vader (2 actions per turn!), or the upgrade cards that come along with it.

The Lambda Class Shuttle is the least maneuverable ship in the game. However, it is the only ship that can decide not to move (a stressful maneuver of 0). Along with some very useful support pilot abilities and upgrade slots, it can be surprisingly useful. Oh, and it has about 5 brand-new co-pilots, and an upgrade slot shared with the B-wing that turn the B into a hyper-mobile Range-1 nightmare. Did I mention it has a title that lets you target lock anything, regardless of range?

The Tie Bomber is more survivable than the standard Tie, having twice the hull, while losing 1 defensive die. It also comes with Proton Bombs, which sneak a critical damage card underneath shields, which are simply astonishing. Its movement wheel lends itself to supreme unpredictability, with range 1 and range 5 options. The fact that it has Captain Jonus, who lets friendly ships at Range 1 re-roll 2 attack dice if they're using a secondary weapon, and Major Rhymer, who can shoot any missile at any range, excepting the Advanced Proton Torpedoes, which are now range 1-2 ,is amazing. Not to mention the fact that you can give any level of them 2 missiles, 2 torpedoes, AND a bomb.

The HWK-290 is a new support ship for the rebels. It comes with a new turret that can also fit onto the Y-wing, 3 amazing utility pilots, and a title that turns your focus tokens permanent. Yes, that's right, focus tokens on the "Moldy Crow" don't go away at the end of the turn. The level 4 pilot turns any friendly ship from range 1-3 into a level 12 pilot at the start of every combat. The level 6 pilot gives away a focus token at the start of every combat (absolutely bonkers with Garven Dreis, btw). The level 8 pilot? She takes a stress to give a friendly pilot at range 1-3 an extra attack die, regardless of the type of attack. Pity it's only barely more maneuverable than the Lambda, and has the worst primary attack in the game (1. You kind of need that turret.) Did I mention they're cheap? The lowest skilled pilot, with no upgrades, is a 16 pointer.