Sign in to follow this  
ZombieHedgehog

Smugglers Alliance/Convoy - More YT-1300 Customs

I like the them all.  I cut my shuttle up.  Cut the top fin down and the wings I took off where it angles out, turned them around, so the back of the wing is now the front and swapped the sides they were on, it turned out alright, my cutting was off, so I had to do some major greenwork and some try and cover up with it.  I will probably post it soon.  But yours, by far, are way more awesome.

Dude - I am in awe of this thread. 

Watching the build pictures of the Outrider - you have a legitimate talent, that is freaking amazing to me. 

I sincerely wish I possessed this type of skill for art. 

/jealous

Thanks for the comments guys. I've really enjoyed building all of these different types of ships. It's great getting different ideas from people which I wouldn't have thought of myself, it's also been good by being pushed to try new ideas and techniques for ships.

I thinks a persons skill comes with time, the more you do something the better you get, practice and patience helps. I think that details make a model so by taking your time and adding small details in will help with the look of a miniatures.

@Lukes Father, it would be cool to see some photos of your ship, I always like seeing different conversions.

Hoping to post progress of new ships soon.

Thanks,

James

I have a few commissions I am waiting to start, models are a bit slow being delivered.

However I did have a Y-Wing to convert. I was given a plan for a new custom from EnglishPete, another very different but very cool idea.

photo_zps86a4e5fe.jpg

Basic shape of the fighter, just need to get to work on the detailing.

Edited by ZombieHedgehog

I have a few commissions I am waiting to start, models are a bit slow being delivered.

However I did have a Y-Wing to convert. I was given a plan for a new custom from EnglishPete, another very different but very cool idea.photo_zps86a4e5fe.jpg

Basic shape of the fighter, just need to get to work on the detailing.

Oooh, I like that one.

Mathanks for the comments.

RobJedi: I use the brass rod for stability so the wing has a decent amount of contact with the rest of the model. I would normally pin things in to place but the pieces of plasticard I'm using are too thin. I also sandwich the brass rod and wing between to thin pieces of plasticard, again, to try to increase the strength of the structure.

Also by using brass rod, I can bend it in to place after gluing it to the main body of model so both wings are at the same angle.

I've got to be honest and say I wasn't overly fussed about the idea of the y-wing when I first looked at how to complete the model but once I started messing with the angle of the engines and adding the find on top I really like the look of it.

Will hopefully post more progress soon, updates will probably appear on twitter first.

Thanks again everyone!

How would you go about moulding a ship of this size? I wouldn't like to have to take it apart to mould seperate parts, would you be able to do it with a mould if the top and bottom that can be put together to cast the ship in full?

If anyone could let me have any details I will look in to it. I've never cast anything before but would like to look in to it.

Well, im not sure about molding the entire ship, but you may find plastic kits of similar proportions useful as a source of materials. For example, there is Revells Millenium Falcon, just slightly smaller scale, almost perfect for scrap. and if you are looking for a wide panels try jedi starfighter. neck could be kitbashed from revells LAAT gunship, which may provide you extra turrets. hope this is of any help. 

link to millenium falcon

http://www.revell.de/en/products/star-wars/star-wars-episode-iv-vi/id/06727.html 

Thanks for the info, for some reason I've never thought of using other kits before, I don't know why I always do things the hard way.

I can't believe how long it has been since I have posted on here.  I have completed a few more projects and haven't posted any photos.  I just seem to have very little time unfortunately.

I will try to get something on here and on Twitter tonight.

You are most welcome.
There is one more thing, Sir. I'd like to ask your permission to use pictures of this armored YT, together with your comments on thread in my blog http://ythangar.blogspot.co.uk. I will retain your name, leave link to original thread, and if you looking for commission will post your contacts in you are ok with that. I'd like to make my small a blog a showcase of great custom work on YT series ships. Thank you.

It's funny that you made a custom 2400 and a month after, FFG announces their making one.

Tell me about it! I've got to say I'm so happy that the outrider will be part of the game, I'm really looking forward to I being released.

Finally found some time to list photos of some progress on a couple of projects I've been working on.

The deathseed

photo1_zpsf62ff974.jpg

photo2_zps672292c7.jpg

photo3_zps897907cf.jpg

photo4_zps1b5781a5.jpg

I used magnets to create a mechanism allowing the wings to open and close as well as move around the model. A very interesting ship and a cool project to work on.

I first saw your conversions on TUZ's Ultimate Hobby Showcase blogpost and I couldn't help thinking 'Yes those are quite nifty. Bet I could do the same if I wished.' Of course, that led to me scratchbuilding entire ships instead. You'd better take responsibility for my current madness! :D

On a more serious note, why not consider starting a blog so you can easier showcase your models and the work you've done? At the very least, a blog could work as an archive.

Ooh this looks familiar. Looking forward to seeing how your armoured hull YT turns out. Have you gotten yourself a scriber to save your sanity doing panel lines?

Still no scriber, no idea why I still don't have one, where did you get yours from again? Very nervous putting a solar flare ship together as your custom is amazing!

Nice to have you back on the forum mate. Looking forward to seeing more stuff.

Good to be back, been ridiculously busy recently and have been working on customs rather than posting on here. Should have some more time now and will share progress of some projects.

On a more serious note, why not consider starting a blog so you can easier showcase your models and the work you've done? At the very least, a blog could work as an archive.

Sounds like a plan, I still have all of the photos of progress so should be able to put some together when I have the time.

More progress:

Another oota goota style YT, it was good to go back to a familiar design but to build it again slightly different.

photo1_zpsa6a2e00d.jpg

Instead of just removing the turret altogether a small viewing port was added.

photo2_zps03d30987.jpg

I always keep adding more detail and can't really stop, always longer than I realise though.

photo3_zps352894dc.jpg

The solar flare:

To be honest I wasn't a massive fan of the style of this ship to begin with, especially after this photo was taken, I didn't like the ship being so out of balance, I wanted to go for a chunky looking ship but wasn't sure if the front would be too big.

photo1_zpsca69e0be.jpg

As I continued on this build, the design grew on me more and more, the only problem with these projects is that I get attached and don't want to let the ship go. I'm sure I'll find the time one day to build myself a fleet of smugglers ships.

photo1_zps12ace137.jpg

Forgot to mention, this is where the turret from the HWK disappeared to, I really liked the idea from my customer to add it to the dish mount, the turret has been magnetised so will turn all the way round. I can't see the Empire having a problem with such a modification, hopefully.

photo1_zps2363f822.jpg

I really like the engine section on this design, you get something more than a strip like you do on the falcon but there isn't as much engine visible like the oota goota.

I think this ship worked out how I wanted (also hopefully what my customer wanted as well!,), to look like a solid, not exactly the most beautiful, reliable ship for any smuggler, I mean well to do cargo transporter!

I feel I have scored the Plasticard a little too deep, but I may just go over with some putty so they are less harsh, I really need to pick up a scriber!

Edited by ZombieHedgehog

Possible Future Projects:

Sorry for a few posts, I do have a lot of catching up to do, I have picked up another one of these:

photo_zps56938b4f.jpg

Hoping, at some point to be adding an ion cannon mid to the side of the ship! There have also been photos passed around for a possible CR-90 custom.

I have also been approached about this ship:

photo1_zpsec9028a9.jpg

The DeathRaven, I've always loved the b-wing so what could be better than one? You guessed it, two hulls put together to make one ship. Looking forward to working out how to go about the custom, the one problem I have found is attaching the completed shilP to a base/flight peg.

Also, this a photo I have seen before, especially when looking for images prior to the official release of the ship but was also sent it by a forum member recently:

photo2_zps43d126d7.jpg

I love the E-Wing model but this version is just amazing, it really looks like a high tech, next generation ship, it looks a lot sleeker than the current ship. Still trying to work out how exactly I would build this ship mainly because the size if the small ships.