Sign in to follow this  
ZombieHedgehog

Smugglers Alliance/Convoy - More YT-1300 Customs

I'm really not sure which base the ravens claw would be on, I do have a commission in the planning stages and it seems to be in between bases. It's something that's causing me a bit of a headache with working everything out.

Managed to get some more photos, I have covered what I've worked on with liquid green stuff to pick up any pitching to be changed. I have some gaps to fill but it shout pent take too long to sort out.

photo2_zpsc4208128.jpg

photo3_zps66b29ade.jpg

photo4_zps84af12cb.jpg

Been trying to post some photos of progress but for some reason I can't post photo's at work and I've been concentrating on working on my latest commissions.

Have created a twitter account @ZH_Customs so I should be able to tweet some quick photos of progress.

I just need to finish off painting the turret on the HWK and I have started work on a recon X-Wing, very tiny details but seems to be coming a long quite nicely.  Hoping to get to work on sculpting details on the X soon.

Also have a couple of YT's in the pipeline as well as the foxcatch which I'm looking forward to working on.

I will try to post some photo's of progress on this thread by the end of the week.

I've managed to get some more work don eon the foxcatch, both the foxcatch and recon x-wing are nearly complete then I have a very different project to start.

I've had very little free time recently but I do plan to post some updated photo's of the foxcatch, recon x and a couple of new custom YT's that I'm completed a while ago.

Just a question for someone thinking about converting and painting up a YT. Do you guys strip them before you paint them? I noticed that it seems like the ink is pretty thick in a few places so I'm a bit worried about just painting over it.

I haven't stripped any of the ships I've repainted, they really dont need it, the original paint is thin and even a slightly thick overpaint still shows off the details.. I think you're safe just overpainting, or even a thin base coat then paint.. I think most of us go this route really..

I haven't stripped any of my repaints either.

I think you just need to make sure that you water your paints down a little and just keep checking the detail when you're applying the paint.  Like Oneway said, you should be safe overpainting.  I've repainted quite a few YT's now and never had a problem.

@Gelntopher, it's really cool to see some photo's of the ship, I really liked your idea for the cut down mandible.  I have a falcon model knocking around, I've just got a few projects to finish first but I may be able to start work on your original idea for the custom.

What are you folks using to cut up the models? I am looking into making my own mods, but I am not sure the best way to start cutting them up.

A good Xacto knife is the place to start, also you'll find that a pair of clippers like the ones Games Workshop makes to be very useful. There are cheaper alternatives that I've used but GW's clippers are some of the best for plastic modeling. You want something that cuts flush on one edge - not beveled edges like wire cutters - so you get a clean line.

Score the plastic lightly with the knife below where you want the actual cut to take place. If you jam an Xacto knife in ABS or polystyrene plastic and try slashing through it then your line will almost never be straight. Score it a couple of times and sometimes a thin panel (like a wing) will fold right off. Then go back and clean up the edge to meet the line where you want the actual cut to take place.

The same applies if you're cutting a panel out of something (like what you've seen people do with YT1300s), cut out a box smaller than the one you actually want then go back and clean the edges up to where you want the actual cut.

Warning: Xacto knives are a sharp. I put a bandaid on my right thumb when I'll be cutting stuff to help protect it, I find whittling away at a model easier when dragging the blade towards my thumb and you WILL cut yourself using this method.

*This post brought to you by many years cutting myself working on Warhammer armies.*

Edited by Sanchez

I received my commisioned YT from Zombie Hedgehog a few days ago.  I am really happy with it.  I'll post pictures of the "Last Light" in the next few days, but it is really gorgeous.  Can't wait to get it on the table.