Sign in to follow this  
ZombieHedgehog

Smugglers Alliance/Convoy - More YT-1300 Customs

Thanks for the advice!!

I'm going to look in to this.  I think the best option would be to get someone else to cast this for me as I don't have the money or space to get something set up myself.  I don't really want to turn this in to a big business but rather try to get a few cast for people who had shown interest on here.

I'll try to have a look in to this and see what I can find.

Unfortunately I've not had much free time recently so haven't had chance to look in to have the YT-2400 cast once it's done but it is still on my to do list.

I've had a little time to work on my custom YT-1300, current progress:

photo2_zps5c3d7839.jpg

There are a couple of holes in the model, these are for magnets, I hope to make a couple of variations for this YT-1300.  I'll just concentrate on one setup first and will look at others once I have finished other projects.  I will be adding another pod of the same size on the other side, just going to work everything out for the magnets first.  This is turning in to a big ship, with sections being magnetised it should still be practical in game.

Speaking of other projects, I received a message from a friend telling me a need to build something a bit larger than a YT-1300, something of a similar size to the blockade runner and rebel transport that will be released as I'm currently putting together a smugglers alliance I thought why have a go at this:

photo_zps9109d733.jpg

Why not the Wild Karrde, I do think this is an odd but very cool looking ship, should hopefully different to what other people have been building, good look to all those customs officers trying to catch up with this!

I have also been asked to look in to building the Ebon Hawk so I should imagine I could be starting this project soon but I do plan on getting everything that is still work in progress finished first.

Edited by ZombieHedgehog

photo_zps9109d733.jpg

Why not the Wild Karrde, I do think this is an odd but very cool looking ship, should hopefully different to what other people have been building, good look to all those customs officers trying to catch up with this!

odd was my first impression too when I saw that picture of the Wild Karrde, from reading the books I didn't really have mental picture of it, but somehow it seems a bit strange. At least in comparison to the Falcon it has enough size to be called a freighter, I always wondered how a 30 something boat like the Falcon could be called that. In a way that made falcon almost per definitionem a smuggler with a high value density of the cargo and should be impounded at the first port it gets to. ;)

For the model it should fit the scale nicely (in relation to the larger announced ships) and if it's build sturdy enough it can be lifted by the inbuilt handle.

Edited by Asgo

At least in comparison to the Falcon it has enough size to be called a freighter, I always wondered how a 30 something boat like the Falcon could be called that. In a way that made falcon almost per definitionem a smuggler with a high value density of the cargo and should be impounded at the first port it gets to. ;)

My understanding has always been that the forward mandibles were designed to clamp onto cargo containers, which is why the cockpit is offset. (And why, as cool as it looks, a central cockpit modification always twerks me a little, unless the cockpit is raised.)

photo_zps9109d733.jpg

odd was my first impression too when I saw that picture of the Wild Karrde, from reading the books I didn't really have mental picture of it, but somehow it seems a bit strange. At least in comparison to the Falcon it has enough size to be called a freighter, I always wondered how a 30 something boat like the Falcon could be called that. In a way that made falcon almost per definitionem a smuggler with a high value density of the cargo and should be impounded at the first port it gets to. ;)

For the model it should fit the scale nicely (in relation to the larger announced ships) and if it's build sturdy enough it can be lifted by the inbuilt handle.

Oooh, the Wild Karrde... *swoons*

Managed to get some more work done on the YT-1300.

Nearly got the structural work finished the compartments on the front have been magnetised so I can work on some different combinations.

photo2_zpsc560dfb7.jpg

photo1_zps6d616937.jpg

Hoping to get this finished soon and get to work on the YT-2400. I'm also still looking in to trying to get the YT-2400 cast as well.

Working with the magnets was fine, I've got a force for dropzone commander and used a lot of magnets on some small models. I got in to the habit of checking the polarity a lot to make sure I stuck the magnet the right way. I just tend to keep the magnets together as a block, put a little bit of super glue on the bottom magnet, keep hold of the stack of magnets for a little while so the glue can take hold then take away a few magnets at a time until I'm left with the stuck one.

I think using magnets will help me create some interesting designs that I can change when I get a little bored rather than having to start a whole new comversion.

True - I think magnets were a good idea. Any word on casting btw? I'm quite interested!

I've found a few companies in the UK, I just need to make some enquiries regarding prices. If enough people are interested at the price I find I will get some cast. I just need to make sure that the model is suitable for casting and the price will be reasonable. Also I think shipping could put the price up a bit depending on where people are based but it is quite a small ship I might have to be clever with the packaging.

Last thing is legal issues. Would I be able to sell this ship? I'm assuming I can't advertise this as a Star Wars YT-2400 for X-wing.

I apologise for how long this is taking, I just don't have much time at the moment as I'm still working on out house which is taking up a lot of hobby time.

Thanks for the interest and I hope to have an update soon.

On Shapeways no-one has explicitly stated their ship as being Star Wars, as that IS a brand-name I wouldn't mention it. I also think there's a difference between a group of collectors designing and casting a few ship and you setting up a professional company all registered and selling stuff that's clearly IP from someone else...

If prices are okay I am interested in 1 or 2 of the ships.

I wish, as plastic kits are very expensive to produce I really can't see this happening to be honest with you unfortunately.

i would like to ask if you do have these cast can they be made as a plastic kit?

On Shapeways no-one has explicitly stated their ship as being Star Wars, as that IS a brand-name I wouldn't mention it. I also think there's a difference between a group of collectors designing and casting a few ship and you setting up a professional company all registered and selling stuff that's clearly IP from someone else...

If prices are okay I am interested in 1 or 2 of the ships.

Thanks for the information.  I just started to have a look in to having the YT-2400 cast as people have shown interest and I would hope that having it cast would mean I could offer people copies without having to scratchbuild each one individually.

I have sent emails making a few enquiries today, I'm hoping to have more infromation soon.  I will post updates as soon as I have more information.

I've had a little time to continue work on the YT-2400, I forgot how much I'm enjoying working on this project.  I really want to get this finished

I've added the turret, I have stuck this on with magnets so it can be taken off which should help when creating a mould, it also means I can spin it around making laser sounds, anyway, here are some photo's of my progress:

photo1_zpscffc386c.jpg

photo2_zpsbcd0a479.jpg

photo3_zps1e6e5cb8.jpg

Apologies for the quality of the photo's, I will try to take some better ones soon.

I'm not 100% on the turret yet, I think the size is ok, I'm going to finish this one with details and see what it's like once it's finished.

I've not even started work on the bottom of the ship but I'm hoping that it won't take so long once the top is finished

Edited by ZombieHedgehog

You knwo: every time I see a modelling topic as great as this one I can't shun the feeling you guys could save heaps of work by using stuff like this: link

I've never really thought about using brass etched sheets to be honest with you, I'm not sure why though, maybe because I just pick up use what's lying around rather than sitting down and planning what I'm going to do.  I think the grill type sheets would be really good but it doesn't take too long to cut plasticard to the shape required.

I can see brass etched parts being very useful as the detail will probably be a lot sharper for the model, I will have a look in to this but how expensive is it?