Sign in to follow this  
ZombieHedgehog

Smugglers Alliance/Convoy - More YT-1300 Customs

If anyone would have a formula for converting in to X-Wings 1/270 (?) scale it would be greatly appreciated as I'm not really sure on what I'm doing, I think the 2400 should be just about right, I'll post some comparison shots soon.

(length of ship in meters / 270) = answer in cm.

(length of ship in meters / 270) / 2.54 cm per inch = answer in inches.

example: (100m /270) / 2.54 = 14.58 inches. 

You're math doesn't make sense.  I think you did a step that you didn't list.

So the X wing is 12.5m.  Divide by 270 is .004.  Divide by 2.54 is .00165 inches.  This is obviously wrong.

What you need to do is take your 12.5m and convert to cm first by multiplying by 100.  Then divide by 2.54 cm/in, and then 270 for the scale.

12.5m * 100cm/m = 1250cm

1250cm / 2.54 in/cm = 492in

492in/270 = 1.82in to scale.

So, for the Lady Luck that was mentioned earlier, which is 50m long, the 1:270 scale should be 7.29 inches long.

You know things are so much easier if you just use millimeters. :lol:

50,000mm / 270 = 185.2mm or 18.52cm (pah - cm don't exist in engineering terms) or 7.29 inches (how on earth can you get .29 of an inch - it's not even metric)

So in short, yes that's 7.29 inches (grumbles to himself).

Interestingly that should put it somewhere between the large base ships and the transports. That's a big target to be running around.

It's a little smaller than the falcon, looking at the photo again, I'm not sure if the angle is helping really, I'll try to take a better photo.

It's not too bad if it is a little out, I'll just have to fly them on opposite sides on the board :) .

Yes, very, very cool. I'm totally jealous.

I'm doing mine in 3D. I tend to take official numbers with a grain of sand. I usually find at least one point of common reference... like a person. So there are models where the official numbers say one thing, but trying to put a body in it shows something entirely different. In the case of the YT-2400, I'm probably going to use the cockpit as the common frame of reference. We'll see.

But yours looks fawesome.

I love all these customs. I'd love to do a cockpit relocation, but have neither the repainting skills nor the materials to replace where the cockpit originally was. I've only repainted one A-wing (green) and the Hawk (white with blue accents, thinking of changing to silver) and I'm quite fond of them. But I also have absolutely no experience with making things from scratch like that, and I'm infinitely jealous. Props to you, good sir.

Started the latest addition to the Alliance, the Heavily modified YT-1300 based on the Courageous:

First WIP photo:

photo_zpsec41ce50.jpg

Instead of modifying the ship so it has more offensive power I plan on adding large cargo holds around the corridor to the cockpit. If I can be bothered I plan on magnetising the holds so I can build a fe different options.

Edited by ZombieHedgehog

How would you go about moulding a ship of this size? I wouldn't like to have to take it apart to mould seperate parts, would you be able to do it with a mould if the top and bottom that can be put together to cast the ship in full?

If anyone could let me have any details I will look in to it. I've never cast anything before but would like to look in to it.

It is not to hard but it is messy and it takes time to do it. Look up "Drop Casting" and/or "Cold Casting" and see what you think, short of that I know people in the biz you can get to do it for you but it will cost a few hundred bucks, like $300. but it would be done professionally.

I can, and have, moulded ships significantly more complex than this, and done them as simple 2-part moulds. Now, this guy will have a turret up top, right? So, yeah, I would do that separate.

For doing it right... You need a vacuum chamber (make it for ~$30), vacuum pump (~$150), pressure pot (~$150), air compressor (~100). It's probably about $25 worth of rubber for the mould, plus a few bucks for a wood mould box (which you have to make). Then maybe $5, tops, worth of resin. Probably sell them for around $30-$40.

But that assumes that your market knows what goes into small-volume production. You're quite likely to get comparisons to large multi-nationals with Chinese manufacturing. I mean, the Falcon is only $30, right?! And it's painted! And comes with die-cut tokens, 4-color cards, etc!

You could send out and have a garage-kitter handle production. For the guys I know, you're likely looking at ~$15 apiece or so.

As JBRS said, it's not hard, but it is messy. It's also a skill. It takes practice to get good at. And, yes, you do need the vacuum and pressure stuff. Quality suffers dramatically when you don't use them.

Hawkeye88 is right, I do not know his garage guys of course, but I agree there are some good people like that and me (ha... :ph34r: ) who wanted to go into business and learned a lot, but then moved back into reality. I know about how things are done because I got down and dirty trying to do it right,  and for REAL. I can not speak for anybody else, but I found out that unless you are rich or just love the work and do not need to live in a house or like to eat, it is often just better to keep hobby stuff as a hobby.

:lol: