Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZombieHedgehog

Smugglers Alliance/Convoy - More YT-1300 Customs

263 posts in this topic

As I have been enjoying converting quite a lot of YT1300s recently and after comments from Joe Boss Red Seven and Viceroy Bolda I've decided to build some more for some sort of smugglers force.

I'm looking at starting with a 100pts list and working up to a 150pts list, just so I can fit in plenty of ships so I can keep converting.  So I'm looking at putting together 3-5 ships together for a list.

I already have a YT-1200 and I am looking at building 2 more YT series ships to start with.  I am thinking about scratch building a YT-2400 and putting together a custom YT-1300 which is based on a ship called Courageous as both ships look very different to the YT-1200.

I want to try to make a lot of different YT-1300's, this is to try to make it look cool on the table rather than being that competitive.  The majority of the force will be represented by Outer Rim Smugglers for stats for now, I was also looking at adding in an X-Wing and maybe even a HWK-290 just for something a bit different.  I will maybe have a look at converting these figures as well, they'll at least get a repaint.

I think both the building the Courageous and YT-2400 will take some time so I am looking for some different YT series ships I can convert from the Millennium Falcon miniature so I'm asking if people can post images for inspiration as I'm having trouble finding anything I'm 100% happy with at the moment.  So please post anything that you would maybe like to see turned in to a miniature for the game, well I hope I can manage a decent job and will try my best to get as close to the image as I can.

I will use this thread to post progress of each ship which will hopefully keep me motivated so I can get everything finished.

As a start I'm looking at doing something similar to these pics:

photo_zpsf65b2cc5.jpg

photo_zpsfa2a300c.jpg

photo3_zpsa855daae.jpg

Well, I'm still waiting on my latest falcon order to arrive so I don't have any conversions that I am currently working on.

However, I did say that I would love to have a YT-2400 for my Smugglers alliance and obviously/unfornately, there's no official minaiture for the game yet.  Stupidly, I did say that I would like to have a go at scratchbuilding this YT model.

Image I have been using as a reference:

photo1_zpsb7c39ca4.jpg

I've only started this tonight but here is my prgoress so far.

photo2_zps08b15db2.jpg

photo_zpsf28df30b.jpg

As for scale, this has been worked out very roughly, I don't think that it is to scale properly but it seems to work ok next to a falcon and I'm happy with it.  I do think it isn't as long as it should be but I do plan on adding an extra engine section on the flat part of the hull.

Hoping to get more work done this weekend but I think this may be a long project.

Happy for any suggestion for this model as I've never done this before!!

Just using humbrol poly cement to glue everything together.

Managed to get a bit more work done on the YT-2400. I'm getting there slowly, I'm just having trouble with working out how to cover the walls for the turret. I'm quite enjoying this project, will be nice to have something different than a 1300 on the table, just need to order some more plasticard tube to finish off the cockpit.

1 progress pic for now:

photo_zps37415966.jpg

Thanks, everything I've done has been pretty simple so far which has made the process quite quick, I'm sure this will start to slow down pretty soon, especially when I get to starting on the details.

I will be starting another couple of 1300 conversions soon.

Edited by ZombieHedgehog
Viceroy Bolda likes this

I think that this will add something a bit different to my list as it has a familiar YT look but is different to the 1300. I will be adding another YT-1300 to the smugglers alliance but this will quite a drastic conversion, it will look similar to the courageous but I want to include magnetised cargo hangers so I'll be making a few different combinations.

Managed to make a little bit of progress on the 2400:

photo_zps2ba96ed8.jpg

Viceroy Bolda likes this

Are you going to make "Lady Luck", Lando's ship?

I had a look at making it last night but my cratch build skills need some work before I will even think of posting something on this forum; the scratch build / coversion work is just too good.

I definitely need to try out Dash, where did you get the card from and are there any generic pilots?  I'm assuming that the arrow around the attack dice value is for 180 degree fire? Also, is there a maneuver card or would it use the same dial as the 1300?   it would be good to use something that's different from the YT-1300. 

I really hope that FFG release a YT-2400.

Are you going to make "Lady Luck", Lando's ship?

I had a look at making it last night but my cratch build skills need some work before I will even think of posting something on this forum; the scratch build / coversion work is just too good.

Sounds like a plan, it may be a while before I look at starting this though as I need to start on a commission for a YT-1300 once the miniature turns up and once it's finished, I need to try to get the details finished on the 2400 but I don't think it will take too long to complete now.  I do appreciate the suggestion, as it's a very different looking ship.

If anyone would have a formula for converting in to X-Wings 1/270 (?) scale it would be greatly appreciated as I'm not really sure on what I'm doing, I think the 2400 should be just about right, I'll post some comparison shots soon.

Edited by ZombieHedgehog

More info here including the dial

http://invivos.blogspot.de/2013/08/x-wing-miniatures-game-dash-rendars.html

Bild25.jpg

There are other versions online but this is my favourite, the 180 front arc and the barrel roll separate it rather nicely from the YT-1300.

I'm sure we could reverse engineer a basic version using a basic PS 3 pilot

Edited by Rodent Mastermind
ZombieHedgehog likes this

If anyone would have a formula for converting in to X-Wings 1/270 (?) scale it would be greatly appreciated as I'm not really sure on what I'm doing, I think the 2400 should be just about right, I'll post some comparison shots soon.

(length of ship in meters / 270) = answer in cm.

(length of ship in meters / 270) / 2.54 cm per inch = answer in inches.

example: (100m /270) / 2.54 = 14.58 inches. 

Edited by Viceroy Bolda
ZombieHedgehog likes this

(length of ship in meters / 270) / 2.54 cm per inch =

Thanks for that!!! It looks like I'll be starting a few more scratch builds now.  I think I've somehow managed to work out the 2400 pretty well.  I'll have to double check when I get in from work, I'm probably wrong.

More info here including the dial

http://invivos.blogspot.de/2013/08/x-wing-miniatures-game-dash-rendars.html

Bild25.jpg

There are other versions online but this is my favourite, the 180 front arc and the barrel roll separate it rather nicely from the YT-1300.

I'm sure we could reverse engineer a basic version using a basic PS 3 pilot

Thanks for this, I'll definitely will try it out in a friendly game.  Would be good to work out a generic pilot.  I really like the idea of the 180 arc, I've played a falcon with expert handling which was cool but I should imagine the barrel roll on a large ship with a 180 fire arc will help out quite a bit. 

I just need to try to find some time to actually play a game.

And the elephant in the room is... What happens when Mr. Rendar meets Mr. Stele? From the wording of it, it seems that Rendar completely nullifies Maarek's ability.

Maarek Crits, takes 3 cards, chooses the most damaging card and handles it to Rendar... Rendar cleans the bottom of his back with the card, draws 3 new cards, and chooses the least bothering of them for him.

I demand an urgent FAQ on the answer !!!!

Obviously you pick 3 cards... each chooses one... then you randomise :P

Or.. you take it outside..

Or.. the Universe implodes taking both ships with it.

All is good, nothing to see here. It's a really improbable situation, it hinges on the fact that someone will take Maarek, and I can't see that ever happening.

Edited by Rodent Mastermind

You're math doesn't make sense.  I think you did a step that you didn't list.

So the X wing is 12.5m.  Divide by 270 is .004.  Divide by 2.54 is .00165 inches.  This is obviously wrong.

What you need to do is take your 12.5m and convert to cm first by multiplying by 100.  Then divide by 2.54 cm/in, and then 270 for the scale.

12.5m * 100cm/m = 1250cm

1250cm / 2.54 in/cm = 492in

492in/270 = 1.82in to scale.

So, for the Lady Luck that was mentioned earlier, which is 50m long, the 1:270 scale should be 7.29 inches long.

Edited by Khyros

So the X wing is 12.5m.  Divide by 270 is .004.  Divide by 2.54 is .00165 inches.  This is obviously wrong.

What you need to do is take your 12.5m and convert to cm first by multiplying by 100.  Then divide by 2.54 cm/in, and then 270 for the scale.

12.5m * 100cm/m = 1250cm

So, for the Lady Luck that was mentioned earlier, which is 50m long, the 1:270 scale should be 7.29 inches long.

Hahaha.  You're right.  I moved the decimal point (x100) in my head.  I'm so used to doing it that way, I forgot.  Thanks.

Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

12.5m * 100cm/m = 1250cm

Hahaha.  You're right.  I moved the decimal point (x100) in my head.  I'm so used to doing it that way, I forgot.  Thanks.

My head hurts now...

:mellow:

Got a comparison shot to see what people think to the scale, is this where it all goes wrong as I haven't got the scale right??

photo1_zps3a74940d.jpg

The scale is all off.  You should throw it away, in my Post Office box. 

Just kidding.  Seriously though, fantastic job.  You continue to amaze me.  Wunderbar!