Sign in to follow this  
SpectreSix

Is 100 points the absolute limit?

See, I wanted to do a Rogue Squadron build, keeping everything true to the X-wing design (much like I did with my Slave I, making it as close to Boba's configuration as possible) but Wedge and Ibtisam PLUS Tycho chew up a lot of points. Is there a way to increase the amount of points to use without prolonging the "Gather Forces" stage of set-up?

P.S. In case you're wondering about the Slave I configuration, I'll make a build thread later.

My brother and i play almost exclusively 150 point games.  they take a little bit longer at the beginning, but the games dont take much longer at all because ships get destroyed quicker.  Balance seems to be perfect no matter what point level you play at, though tournaments are currently played exclusively at 100. 

The bigger it is, the more i enjoy it, but experiment and find what you like best!

As long as you and your opponent agree beforehand, use whatever limit you want.  100 is the standard value, at which tournaments are usually played and the missions are written for.

Is there a way to increase the amount of points to use without prolonging the "Gather Forces" stage of set-up?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here.  If you play with more points, you will almost certainly use more ships and ugrades, which will likely take (slightly) longer to gather.  However, as long as you know beforehand what pieces you need and where they are, set-up time is negligible compared to play time.

100 points is pretty standard, but as people have pointed out (some more politely than others) you can play whatever you and your opponent agree on.

Our last Trench Run totaled about 700 points on the board.  FFG has hinted that the Corvette and/or Medium Transport will include rules for "epic" tournaments, although I don't think anyone actually knows what that will mean yet.

To continue the variety theme, my friend and I are about to start a 7 mission campaign at work, playing 1 game a week. You select 200 pts of ships as your fleet, then deploy up to the points limit for a particular scenario from your list. We have rules for dying, named pilots and simple XP.

So much variety in the ways to play this game.

My son and I have started taking a 100-point squad and adding upgrades to reach 120. You get the nice synergy of the tournament squad with room to put some of the upgrades you miss out on otherwise.

That's the beauty of the points system.  Any point total works as long as both sides have the same.

100 points for a dogfight furball makes a lot of sense.  It's a nice balanced number.  Epic will be a lot bigger with the T4 and RT.  The Imperials are going to need some larger ships to take those down (I presume, who knows how much shield and hull they will have).

That's the beauty of the points system.  Any point total works as long as both sides have the same.

100 points for a dogfight furball makes a lot of sense.  It's a nice balanced number.  Epic will be a lot bigger with the T4 and RT.  The Imperials are going to need some larger ships to take those down (I presume, who knows how much shield and hull they will have).

I'm hoping one is a Carrack Light Cruiser and the other a Tartan Patrol Cruiser. Both of those seem to maybe match up to the Corellian Corvette and Gallofree transport.