Sign in to follow this  
Lumberjack Nick

New Custom Pilot & Crew Cards

Who wants to make a sculpt of a Jedi Interceptor?

tumblr_mvb11f7Xa71sg6vo7o1_400.jpg

love the ETA-2 Actis.

Would love a sculpt... might try one myself.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eta-2_Actis-class_light_interceptor

Though your card shows a turret... I don't remember it having one... per the wookiepedia is has a seconday ion cannon.. so perhaps a cannon mount?

Edited by HazardPay

Who wants to make a sculpt of a Jedi Interceptor?

tumblr_mvb11f7Xa71sg6vo7o1_400.jpg

love the ETA-2 Actis.

Would love a sculpt... might try one myself.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eta-2_Actis-class_light_interceptor

Though your card shows a turret... I don't remember it having one... per the wookiepedia is has a seconday ion cannon.. so perhaps a cannon mount?

Yep. I haven't had the chance to fix that yet. I believe someone has a sculpt on Shipaways.com. There's a link in this thread somewhere.

Here's the TIE Defender cards I'm working on. Any thoughts on the stats?

Here's what was stated above.

PS 3

3/3/3/3

(A-Wing or Interceptor Dial, I prefer A-Wing just because it has a high top speed.)

Upgrades: System, Missile, Cannon

Actions: Target Lock, Focus, Barrel Roll, Boost, Evade (I know a lot, but you can only take one a turn)

TIEDefenderWM.jpg

1st quarter next year now..

I personally think it should have a boost.. and 1 less shield..  It would still be the toughest TIE in the game, but it would then be comparable with an interceptor in maneuverability. which is really should be.

Edited by Rodent Mastermind

Hello, All,

I am the person Lumberjack Nick has been making the awsome cards for (we are swapping tallents- I paint for him... he does his digital wizardry for me).  I prefer to think of this as a collaberative effort: somebody else made the 3D printed models (available on Shapeways), I did some on-line research and created the ship stats and pilot skills; Nick makes it all pretty!  You guys have a part as well... we will post the work in progress to get comments and ideas for how to improve the product (like proofreading, etc...).

Stat-wise, there has been much discussion on the Defender (and I don't really wish to repeat all of it here) and based on that discussion, the basic TIE Defender stats out as...

PS: ?

AT: 3

EV: 3

HU: 3

SH: 3

Focus, Target Lock, Barrel Roll, Boost

Elite Pilot Skill, Missile, System, Cannon (Ion)

A-wing Maneuver Dial

Cost = 30 pts (+1 per PS, +1 per special pilot ability)

Notes:

1. Personally, I think that (based on Wookieepedia) that the Shield Factor should be '4', as that puts it between a Y-Wing and a B-Wing (which it should be) and leaves room for the TIE Avenger to have one less Shield ('3') and still be better than an X-wing.  But everyone on this forum says '3' or some riduculously high number, so I went with '3' (for now...)

2. I did not give it "Evade" because, even though it is said to be the "most maneuverable fighter in the Imperial inventory", I think that manifests itself elsewhere.  Again, as I wanted to leave room for the Avenger (and distinguish it from the Defender), I gave (or will...) the Defender a better maneuver dial (A-wing vs TIE/In for Avenger) and better Shields (see above) but award the lighter fighter (hey... that rhymes...) the Evade action in compensation.

3. The Defender (and Avenger) is listed as having an optional Tractor Beam.  I have simple, non game busting/meta altering rules for this that will make the ship somewhat more effectiv at close range but not an overpowered monster.  The question is how to do this.  Option A- build it into the basic ship card.  Option B: create a "System" card for it (not a "Cannon" card as I see the TB being an adjunct to and complimentary part of the fire control system of the fighter)- this will require the creation of a special card but give the ability to make it "optional".

4. "Cannon"- this, of course, should be an Ion Cannon only (per SW fluff).  Again, two options, Option A: just leave it as a "Cannon" slot per basic rules.  Option B: limit it somehow to only the Ion Cannon.

5. Pilot Abilities- I got inspiration for these by doing on-line research (mostly Wookieepedia).  First I looked up the ships I had models of (to get ideas on ship stats).  Then, I looked up who is noted for having flown that type of fighter.  I then whittled down the list by eliminating pilots already covered by existing cards.  I wanted a range of Low, Medium and High PS (just like existing ships) and created special abilities based on that pilot's bio and working within the examples FFG had already provided.  I especially did not want to create any new rules or over powered monstrocities. Note- I have never read any of the EU books or played any of the games so my inspiration comes solely from the on-line written material an what seems "reasonable".

As we go along, Nick will post pics of the cards he has created, along with pics of my models (hopefully).  We welcome your constructive comments.  With any luck, we will, together, create some new, playable ships and inspire others as you all, have inspired me.

Chris

PS- sneak peek of upcoming ships:

Z-95 Headhunter (Rebellion era)

Corvan T-4 Assault Fighter (heavier than X-wing, faster than Y-wing)

Corvan Assault Bomber (combination gunboat, bomber, boarding vessel)

TIE Defender

TIE Avenger

TIE/gt (light bomber)

TIE/fc (targeting ship for TIE/gt)

I would suggest keeping it a generic cannon, instead of making it a unique weapon somehow. That would seem to complicate it a bit. I'd try to imagine it as if FFG was putting this out as a single ship expansion. It would come with an ion cannon upgrade card representing that it should be an ion cannon, but allowing it to be customized using cannon upgrade cards from other expansions. Plus this is the case with some of the all other expansions.

Rodent,

we are thinking along the same lines- no pilots with less than a 4 PS.  Someone made a decent argument about, maybe, an ace pilot who is still adjusting to his/her new "hot rod" but I think that is probably what the PS4 guy is.  I think I wrote stats for a PS4, PS6 and a PS8 pilot.  Nick should have these posted soon, so you can comment on them.

Chris

Hello I'm new to the forums, been flicking through them for a while now tho and would love to know how to make my own custom pilot and ship cards, is it a program people use or just very skilled with photoshop?

Wow, that TIE Defender seems ridiculously overpowered for that cost. It has no weaknesses at all! I know it's custom so you can do what you like, but I'm suddenly afraid that FFG will follow a similar idea.

Wow, that TIE Defender seems ridiculously overpowered for that cost. It has no weaknesses at all! I know it's custom so you can do what you like, but I'm suddenly afraid that FFG will follow a similar idea.

It really isn't as bad as you would think. It has a major weakness is cost. If you upgrade it at all you can only get 2 of them in a force. The question is will it do as much in a game a 3 Tie Fighters.

redxavier,

1. The TIE Defender should have the Boost action added, this is an oversight on my part and Lumberjack Nick will add it soon.

2.  What changes would you suggest to make it less OP and still be the TIE Defender?  Stat wise, I have used the most conservative data available while still keeping its strengths/weaknesses relative to other Imperial and Rebel starfighters.  Simply put, the Defenders SHOULD be THE BEST starfighter available to ANYONE.  However, even the base model, without all the upgrades and add-ons should make it the MOST EXPENSIVE fighter as well.  All things considered, points-wise, a Firespray-31 will probably be a better buy for your money (IMO).

Please help me with this, you opinion does count.

Chris

It really isn't as bad as you would think. It has a major weakness is cost. If you upgrade it at all you can only get 2 of them in a force. The question is will it do as much in a game a 3 Tie Fighters.

It seems the cost is in the 30s? It's far more powerful than 3 TIE fighters, partly because it can take a lot of damage (hitpoints of 2 TIEs) but also because if you give it Sensor Jammer (and/or stealth) good luck hitting this thing. Or give it advanced sensors and the high pilot skill and that dial is going to give you way too many options.

Every ship so far has a drawback. Either speed, defence die, shields, attack, or movement. The Defender above has the best of all of these. Further, the stats would put the defender into the same powerhouse class as the large ships, but it would have none of their weaknesses. A high cost isn't enough to offset this either, you could make these 40 point ships and 2 would still be better than two Firesprays or Falcons, and still be able to wipe out any 3 fully upgraded rebel fighters.

redxavier,

1. The TIE Defender should have the Boost action added, this is an oversight on my part and Lumberjack Nick will add it soon.

2.  What changes would you suggest to make it less OP and still be the TIE Defender?  Stat wise, I have used the most conservative data available while still keeping its strengths/weaknesses relative to other Imperial and Rebel starfighters.  Simply put, the Defenders SHOULD be THE BEST starfighter available to ANYONE.  However, even the base model, without all the upgrades and add-ons should make it the MOST EXPENSIVE fighter as well.  All things considered, points-wise, a Firespray-31 will probably be a better buy for your money (IMO).

Please help me with this, you opinion does count.

Chris

I'd actually completely ignore the lore for this ship, as it appears to have been conceived as an invincible wetdream TIE ship. It just doesn't fit into a game where balance is the key. Give it 3 attack, 3 agility, and 2 shields, or give it 2 attack, 3 agility and 4 shields.

edit - to be clear, I don't think cost is a weakness. You can spend 50 pts on an upgraded Han Solo but that ship still has weaknesses and is vulnerable. I don't think we'll ever see any ship in this game with great agility and great shields without having its attack or movement lowered to compensate.

Edited by redxavier

It seems the cost is in the 30s? It's far more powerful than 3 TIE fighters, partly because it can take a lot of damage (hitpoints of 2 TIEs) but also because if you give it Sensor Jammer (and/or stealth) good luck hitting this thing. Or give it advanced sensors and the high pilot skill and that dial is going to give you way too many options.

Every ship so far has a drawback. Either speed, defence die, shields, attack, or movement. The Defender above has the best of all of these. Further, the stats would put the defender into the same powerhouse class as the large ships, but it would have none of their weaknesses. A high cost isn't enough to offset this either, you could make these 40 point ships and 2 would still be better than two Firesprays or Falcons, and still be able to wipe out any 3 fully upgraded rebel fighters.

So far this hasn't really been the case when playtested

redxavier,

I'm goin' with the Rodent on this one.  Cost is definitely a drawback (or at least a limiting factor).  Consider this, a tricked out Han/Millennium Falcon plus an equally high PS Xeing with all the bells and whistles (in other words, your typical Han Shoots First list) will have 6 total Attack dice and 18 defense dice (Hull + Shields); if you go with a pair of Rookie X-wings, you get 9 Attack dice and 23 Defense dice!  Compare this to a pair of TIE Defenders: 6 Attack dice (+ another "2 dice" if you factor in the reduction to target agility due to the effects of Tractor Beam upgrade) for an effective total of 8 Attack dice and 12-14 Defense dice (depending on whether we go with the 3 or 4 shield version of the Defender).  The superior maneuverability and speed of the Defender is pretty much negated by the 360-degree firing arc of the YT-1300.  Pretty much all the upgrades of the Defender (like the X-wing or any other single-seat snub fighter) are an "either-or" proposition, like all secondary weapons, whereas the YT (and/or Lambda & Firespray) can have Crew upgrades that make them much more flexible.  Given a HSF list vs a 2x Defender list, I know how I would bet and it isn't on the Empire's finest.  :)

The TIE Defender is to the Empire, as the F-22 Lightning II is to the USAF.  Yep, each is the baddest, most capable fighter money can buy and one-on-one, can beat any comers.  However, money can buy more, cheaper fighters and those, if handled well, can come out on top if simply through attrition.  As Stalin is reputed to have said, "Quantity has a quality all its own".  This, after all is the basis of the TIE Swarm so loved by some on this forum.

Given that the TIE Defender is such a rarity in the Empire, I would concede to a limitation of one per 100 points.- This is not an issue for me as these cards are intended for my own use and not in any official tournament and I have no intention to have more than one plus a pair of TIE Avengers*

Chris

redxavier,

I'm goin' with the Rodent on this one.  Cost is definitely a drawback (or at least a limiting factor).  Consider this, a tricked out Han/Millennium Falcon plus an equally high PS Xeing with all the bells and whistles (in other words, your typical Han Shoots First list) will have 6 total Attack dice and 18 defense dice (Hull + Shields); if you go with a pair of Rookie X-wings, you get 9 Attack dice and 23 Defense dice!  Compare this to a pair of TIE Defenders: 6 Attack dice (+ another "2 dice" if you factor in the reduction to target agility due to the effects of Tractor Beam upgrade) for an effective total of 8 Attack dice and 12-14 Defense dice (depending on whether we go with the 3 or 4 shield version of the Defender).  The superior maneuverability and speed of the Defender is pretty much negated by the 360-degree firing arc of the YT-1300.  Pretty much all the upgrades of the Defender (like the X-wing or any other single-seat snub fighter) are an "either-or" proposition, like all secondary weapons, whereas the YT (and/or Lambda & Firespray) can have Crew upgrades that make them much more flexible.  Given a HSF list vs a 2x Defender list, I know how I would bet and it isn't on the Empire's finest.  :)

The TIE Defender is to the Empire, as the F-22 Lightning II is to the USAF.  Yep, each is the baddest, most capable fighter money can buy and one-on-one, can beat any comers.  However, money can buy more, cheaper fighters and those, if handled well, can come out on top if simply through attrition.  As Stalin is reputed to have said, "Quantity has a quality all its own".  This, after all is the basis of the TIE Swarm so loved by some on this forum.

Given that the TIE Defender is such a rarity in the Empire, I would concede to a limitation of one per 100 points.- This is not an issue for me as these cards are intended for my own use and not in any official tournament and I have no intention to have more than one plus a pair of TIE Avengers*

Chris

You mean hit points instead of defense dice, yes?

There are some TIE Defender pilots in "X-wing: Isard's Revenge" btw, it's post-Galactic Civil War. Well, mopping up. Wookiepedia lists them I'm sure. One is a Colonel if I recall correctly.

redxavier,

Chris

You mean hit points instead of defense dice, yes?

Correct!

Chris