Sign in to follow this  
flail3

How imortant really is initiative

Well the question is simply as I said. How important is it really? I keep seeing lists at 99pts instead of 100pts just for initiative. How important is it really? I mean with most people doing that it still goes to a 50/50 chance of going first. And I see it pointless with rebels as imperials always go first and most people statistically that I see is imperials. And initiative only means you go first if two pilot skills are the same (unless I missed something). So is it really worth missing out on a better or another upgrade just for a chance to get initiative if someone has the same pilot skill as you? And it must be pointless on something like a swarm where all your pilot skills are very low. So can anyone tell me a good reason that its worth loosing out on a better upgrade just for that?

I'll state an example of when you don't want initiative: repositioning. Sabers with push the limit want to move after your ps 4 pilots so they can know if they should barrel roll and boost or if they should focus and evade. Fettigator absolutely wants to move after your ps 8 pilots (or ps10 if you give him vet instincts, which often will ensure he moves last). He wants to be able to change his dial to a maneuver where he will have a shot and you won't. Also dropping bombs, if your opponent moves first you can know if you should drop a bomb or wait until you can get more damage out of it. If I'm building a squad with a blocker(s), ill often want to move first. If I'm repositioning I want to move last. Also squads designed to deal crits want to have initiative so those crits will have an effect when getting attacked back.

i'd say generally it's not worth losing out on a better upgrade for initiative, but it also depends on what your list is designed to do

swarm lists generally want the initiative to force the collisions against other potential swarm lists and that will generally be the difference between a win and a loss in a mirror match of tie swarm.. denying actions is a very powerful tool in this game as the ability to re-roll and change dice results both offensively and defensively can be game changing

some lists that people build can't help but take 99pts over 100 because there is no 1 point upgrade cards that can be used or upgraded to make the list work better

Certain builds (and the strategy you employ in game) clearly benefit from having initiative.

And like Dracon said, in friendly play the tie goes to the Imperials but in competitive play its a coin flip. You still come down to 50/50 in those instances but at least that is fair for both sides.

i think its most important if ur list has blockers like tie-fighters, as stated here already.

another thing initiative does it let the play with initiative resolve critical damage results first during any 'simultaneous damage rule' situations. this is in itself not significant - unless u r facing a squad with a number of ships with the same PS as urs.

To reiterate.

In a tournament the player with the least points spent i.e.99pts gets initiative, it has nothing to do with beinf rebels or imps.

As stated a swarm of academy pilots wants initiative because although they are all pilot skill 1 if they were to face the same squad they would get to move first knowing where the gaps are and will stay and then also get in the opponents way.

Obviously in this same scenario all of your academies will fire before his.

Recently I have been flying a squad of vader(tie advanced), capt. Jonus(bomber) and scimitar(bomber).

With swarm tactics on vader and Jonus all three fire at ps 9. The squad was at 99pts and most of rhe time i get to fire three missiles even against wedge of Han before anyone can stop me.